More boring MIDI nonsense (clock)

Heya,

So I was looking forward to a smooth midi experience with my lovely cycles now that I’m integrating it with the rest of my gear, but it doesn’t seem to like anything I do with it via the TRS midi port. Apparently the polarity doesn’t matter so any 5 pin to mini jack adapter should work yes? Regardless I’ve tried type A & B to no avail.

I need it to receive clock. I’ve used the same midi port successfully with a novation circuit and and arturia minifreak so it’s a bit infuriating given I have a client coming in tomorrow (my first) and the only way I can get sync is over usb. I do have it set to M+U and sync on. USB sync is not acceptable as it introduces latency issues.

I’ve seen some posts from others struggling that there were some inscrutable other settings they had to have on or off before it worked. I really hope I can have this figured out by tomorrow night.

Many blessings to anyone who can offer some light upon the path

Sounds to me like you’ve already thought of everything. On TRS midi input, the M:C adapts to A/B type without needing settings, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Are you positive the problem is not with the midi sender ? Just a thought, you’ve probably got it covered. And it sounds like you’ve already tried multiple cables, so I guess that’s not the issue.

1 Like

What device is sending the MIDI master clock?

How is everything connected, i.e.: is it a daisy chain of devices? Just the MIDI master clock directly into the M:C? Any other configuration?

1 Like

My clock comes from a Tascam Model 12. I have my controller (an old m-audio ozonic) going into input one on my u6midipro and the mixer into input two. I have a daisy chain of devices running out of all three outputs. The cycles is on output 2. I removed the microfreak and og circuit so it would have that output all to itself and still Nada. No problems with any other devices so it’s gotta be some kind of setting I’m blindly missing.
It’s on the second latest firmware, but given what a basic function this is, I doubt that would make a difference.

I’ve also tried plugging the output of my controller directly into the unit, bypassing the splitter, and attempting to play the tracks by cycling through the channels, and it still receives nothing 🤷

Oh, so the plot thickens, it’s not only MIDI clock it isn’t receiving, seems to be no MIDI at all? :scream:

That’s right. No clock, no midi. TRS-A, TRS-B, different midi cables plugged into the adapters. Even a straight stereo audio cable from the microfreak to the cycles gives nothing.
I’ve got it synced by USB reasonably well now and everything works as expected but I still would prefer to have it part of the regular midi chain than yet another usb cable dangling (I have one for my midi router, and one for the model 12). I bought it used and I’m wondering if there’s some obscure setting I missed that he set it to or if my midi in is somehow defective.
Thanks for the replies folks! I love the little beast but this has been disappointing

This is one of my favorite devices. Did you check the MIDI filter?

… and the input channels?

2 Likes