Mopho Keyboard & Tetra 4

Hi

Ive just been offered both of the above but was wondering

Has anyone used these together and how well does the Mopho control the Tetra by poly chaining as ive heard the Tetra is a nightmare to program but adding the Mopho makes it easier

Thanks

I had this combo for a while – honestly it was pretty clunky. For one, you need some kind of mixer to blend the voice from the Mopho and the voices from the Tetra, since neither has an external audio input. As I recall (and forgive me – it’s been kind of a long time) the control from the Mopho via polychain doesn’t extend beyond keyboard control and cycling the voices – in other words, you don’t automatically get a matching patch on the Tetra if you select a patch or make changes on the Mopho. If you want the same patch, you have to manually match them on both units – I believe they share some presets, but otherwise it would mean reprogramming the Tetra to match what’s on the Mopho, or vice versa. It is possible to use a “Dump” command to transfer a patch from the Mopho to the Tetra via MIDI, but again this is a manual operation. So you could theoretically program a patch on the Mopho as a mono patch, transfer it to the Tetra to see how it sounds as a poly patch, and continue editing and transferring until you get it right. One thing that might make all of it easier is getting the software editors for both the Mopho and Tetra from Soundtower.

I ultimately sold both my Mopho and Tetra, but ended up buying a Mopho x4 later, which is pretty fun. It’s not as easy to program as more recent synths but it sounds great, and it’s way easier to get polyphonic sounds even if it’s one voice short of the Mopho/Tetra combo. Unless you’re getting a shockingly good deal on the two together, I’d be inclined to look at something like the Take 5, which gives you the same voice count but an obviously much more organized interface.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply

What would be a cracking good deal in your eyes as ive been offered both for ÂŁ750

So u would recommend the Mopho x4 over both of them then

Thanks

I would recommend the Mopho X4 over the combined Mopho keyboard and Tetra module. They’re not the cracking good deal it’s being presented as. Do not be fooled by the price. You have been warned.

Mostly because of their user interface. Or, rather the lack of one. They’re a real pain even with a software editor.

The suggestion of the Take 5 is a wise one.
A Mono Evolver keyboard would be an inspired one.

1 Like

Thanks im tempted by the Take 5

Another vote for the Take 5. The headache of dealing with the Tetra and the Mopho is just not worth it at this point. The Take 5 is brilliant, easy to use, and ready to go. It’s going to be much quicker to get the desired results.

Really the only advantage of the Tetra / Mopho combo is it allows you to use the Tetra in a more mobile setup, as its very small in size. Otherwise, I would try to save up a little more and just get the Take 5, which IMO is one of the best synths Sequential has ever released and probably my favorite analog polysynth ever.

5 Likes

Take 5 it is Then

Many Thanks

1 Like

ah, i had this combo and quite liked it, but i found the polychaining wasn’t really worth the summing/level matching hassle. the MoKeys made a great Tetra controller though. they’re both great synths

If you were doing mono only I’d say buy the Mopho keys and enjoy it. On its own it’s a killer analogue mono synth.

1 Like

Here here. It’s a lot of fun.

It’s been said, but again as someone who had this combo: the x4 or Take 5 would be better if you can swing either of those.

2 Likes

and I am tempted to get a Prophet 10 even though I have an Oberheim.

@chaocrator might be able to offer you some thoughtful insight on the Mopho and Tetra.

1 Like

Or… sorry to make the decision harder! A REV 2 is a monster of a synth and very very good interface sound design is fun and I would say easy on th REV 2 veep but playful.

Hmm… my Mopho desktop has external audio input…

1 Like

not sure about this particular case, because i use my Tetras as 4x mono or duo + 2x mono,
and never tried that polychain stuff.

sound-wise i can just say YES.

2 Likes

Agree with what silent k is saying. It’s not worth the extra cables, space and hassle. For close to the same cost you could get the prophet 08. I ended up upgrading to a rev2. Take 5 is good too.

I’ve owned the mopho se, tetra and the mopho desktop and one thing they all had in common was a strange unpleasant bit reduction noise in the background. Once I heard it, I could never un-hear it. Not sure if the x4 had the same issue.

I stand corrected – the Mopho keys, desktop, and SE versions did indeed have an audio in (the x4 does not, and neither does the Tetra). But it’s mono, and for what the OP was looking to do you’d still need a mixer. When I had this setup I used a little ART splitmix 4 to mix the Mopho and Tetra.

Out of interest is the Mopho Keys worth ÂŁ315?

Id like a Take 5 or Mopho x4 but I’ve bought a Digitakt ll so I’m looking at the Mopho Keys now

Thanks

My advice is to re-read the thread. :slight_smile:

Stop looking to buy more shit right now. Enjoy the Digitakt II while you save up for the good stuff.

1 Like

Yeah easily. It’s a fantastic synth at that price. I would argue even a steal.