Moog Subsequent 37 if Model D?

What whould Sub37 bring me if I already own Behri Model D?
(apart from presets, keyboard and extra lfo)
…also I own Minitaur.

SideNote: pls help me not buy the Sub 37 too :smiley:

1 Like

I own a Sub 37.
The modulation capabilities are off the scale. So there’s that. The oscillators and filters will sound different to your Behringer. Subtle, but the difference is there.
Also, the subsequent 37 has all the CV stuff not present in either the OG sub 37, nor the model D.

So basically, the S37 is a lot more synth. Moog quality. Form factor. Built to last. Built properly, Etc.

3 Likes

Model D sound is a bit brighter. You know, that analog top end. S37 is darker, but with a lot of punch.

1 Like

The Moog will stay in tune…
And…Last many decades
Also has presets…
Is an instrument that begs to be played

5 Likes

The Moog will allow you to control and sequence its parameters over MIDI.

The Behringer will not.

6 Likes

Im an button away from getting myself A Subsequent 25 and so far all these replies are making think i need to push it lol this was not the post ore definitely the post to come across tonight

2 Likes

I had a Sub37 for two years and have played a Behringer Model D on and off, in a mate’s studio.

I’d say they’re wildly different in character, as far as Moogs go. That is the first divider. The Model D or any version of it, is that classic, creamy lead or fat punch bass. The Sub37 is a growling, moody and atmospheric version of the Moog sound. It can sound in ways the Model D never could, not even come close. And if you want pure classic Moog bass and lead ,you won’t get closer than the Model D, or the Behringer’s version of it or whichever route you take.

All that other stuff, also relevant, of course. But modulation and stuff means nothing if you can’t reach for the Moog character you’re after.

If I for some reason was standing before the two and had to choose, and money and stuff didn’t matter, I’d go for the Sub37 in a heartbeat. The Model D is lovely. But it’s like the 808 and 909. You have heard it before. For a good reason, of course. Awesome stuff persists. But you have heard it before. For me, I’d tire eventually of not being able to travel to entirely new sonic places.

5 Likes

Actually I have Boog D and wanted Monopoly… but at the same time Subsequent 37… so really the battle is between these 2. I wanted to lie to myself that I already have a Moog…:frowning:

side question:
does the subsequent 25 share the sound engine of the 37 or just the name?

to OP:
I would ask myself if I need presets and more modulation options from my monosynth. General sound should be in the same ballpark at least

1 Like

Yes I need. More modulation, presets and quality keyboard if I go that route.
I just don t know if the whole sound is worth the money it costs.

Same engine but there are some limits, i think the arp and modulation from memory, but will confirm…

Edit: yip, no ARP, and only one modulation bus and one LFO…

also No Aftertouch! And only 16 presets

It would make a massive difference to the sound and playability…not the same instrument imo…

i have a sub 37 and a sub phatty, the sub 25 is more like the sub phatty than it is like the 37…on my phatty (using midi) i can trick the second oscillator to playing paraphonic chords by changing the frequency of the second osc by perfect intervals to get that chord sound…but the single LFO, arp step modulation, and lack of aftertouch make for more static, lifeless patches compared to the complexity that comes from sub 37 patches not to mention the huge difference that aftertouch makes to expression…

To help remedy the limits i have the sub phatty CV inputs controlled by the CV outs of my A4mkii, but its still only feels like 1/2 of a 37…

1 Like

I have now the Subharmonicon and the Sub37 - both are very cool instruments. I dont let the Sub37 go because it has other options to modulate him. Also it looks very nice. I wouldnt know how to produce its sounds otherwise. I would have liked the desktop version though.

2 Likes

The Moog MT got a very extensive midi cc control, a lot of everything can be modulated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone having a Subsequent 25, disappointed he didn’t get the 37?