Moog Subharmonicon

From moog support

The fix for this behavior is indeed included in the upcoming firmware revision. I don’t have a firm ETA on its release at this moment but am expecting it in the next 2-3 months. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any other questions

8 Likes

The Moog Bot replied.
Identical reply.

I’m telling myself patience is a virtue.

Honestly, I didn’t care until I suddenly knew I was supposed to care. Knowing this made my life worse.

Since I treat the SH as an instrument of controlled chaos, I never noticed the bug before, though I have used the seq clock outs many times in many ways. It just was what it was, and it sounded pretty. Who knows – maybe we’ll all want to old behavior back after they fix it…

EDIT: I should be clear though – I will install the FW update the second it is out.

1 Like

Moog wrote back saying they intend to have a new firmware out by the end of the year.

1 Like

I understand your point and can sympathise if chaos is something that works for you. Personally though it bothers me because on the other hand I find the main elements of the unit very precise, knowingly complex, unique and something that can be learned to give a very specific outcome and I prefer that level of control.
For what it is and should be doing also regarding the name, legacy and cost I find it piss poor that the firmware wasn’t corrected immediately.
Imagine buying one specifically with the intention of pairing those seq outs? It’s a very powerful and extremely useful aspect of the unit.

1 Like

so good advice to clock the subH to an elektron device then. How do you guys clock the subH to the octatrack? using a midi din to 3,5mm cable, and the midi in on the subH? do you still use the subH sequencers then? or sequence from the octa?

1 Like

The SubH comes with a DIN to TRS 2.5mm adapter. MIDI OUT from OT into MIDI jack on SubH.

When setup like this, I only send clock and transport to the SubH. I still use the sequencers onboard. You can send note date if you like.

1 Like

thanks, awesome!

In my experience MIDI clock from Elektron devices has always synced the SubH correctly (only the MPC One has had problems). I’ve always used the DIN adapter on the SubH side for this, and I always use the SubH’s internal sequencer because it has so many unique features. But with the Analog Four you also have the four CV/gate channels to add some extra synced triggers or modulation, which can be useful in expanding on the four step sequencers of the SubH.

1 Like

thanks for the reply! will try both

Is anybody here using the Subharmonicon in combination with the Novation SL2 MKIII?
If so, how’s that working out? Does it sync well? Any issues? I know the SH is mostly centered around its internal sequencer and not really a keyboard module, but I will be running it in sync with the SL3 and was wondering if there are any similar users out there, cheers!

1 Like

I have an SL49 MKIII and it works as expected. MIDI syncs fine, and you can also use the cv/gate/mod outs to modify things outside of midi signals.

I made a special template for my SH, following the midi mappings in the manual. In particular, I synced one of the toggle buttons to ‘Rythm Generator Logic’ (an option only available through midi), and this is something you really need to experiment with. It really changes the flavor of the SH sequencer.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, sounds like a good combo and very interesting about the template and midi mapping, I’ll definitely plunge in and check out the options you mentioned. Cheers!

Good day to all :slight_smile:
Just received my SubH (second hand).
Unfortunately, the guy who sold it to me forgot to include the Din MIDI to minijack adapter…
I just wanted to double check: it is a type A adapter, therefore my Arturia adapter (type B) will not work?
Before I do anything stupid and fry something…
Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

It won’t fry it. It just won’t work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for that :slight_smile:
Should these work then?

1 Like

SubH is a Type A.

Those should work. Or get another dongle and re use your normal midi cables.

or you can get a A-B TRS cable made up (designacables made me one in the UK). Or I believe you can use a Y splitter - one will work, one wont

2 Likes

Not sure I get it… Forgive my ignorance :slight_smile:

The ones you linked to have male ends and are 1.5m long, so attach directly to your midi keyboard/DT/DN/OT etc. The dongle attaches to a normal midi cable and then to whatever devise youre using.

2 Likes

these are the TRS ones I mentioned

1 Like