Moog Song Producer/C64 setups

Moog Song Producer

If so, what exactly is this thing?

I’m guessing this is for triggering samples with pads? So cool if so. I’m thinking of trying to win this auction, so any reply would be much appreciated. @Scot_Solida?

Ah! Nevermind! On the urgency front anyway, I just did a little digging and see that it is a midi interface module for the Commodore 64! SO COOL!!!

Still really interested in hearing people’s experience with it.

1 Like

The Moog Song Producer was made during a time when Moog were exploring computer music technology. It was made to act as an interface for a Commodore 64 computer, so isn’t of much use today unless you are trying to recreate a 1984 around a C64…

4 Likes

I didn’t know that I was until now but I think I might be.

*Beginning research into obtaining a functioning Commodore 64.

2 Likes

Thread name changed a bit. I want to hear people’s experience with the C64 and if possible, with the Song Producer. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

So this is how you make “real” chiptune?

1 Like

Anybody? Crickets? Chiptune obsession anyone? @looms? @PentalagusMusic? @Jeanne? @glooms? @Bunker? @darenager? @Octagonist?

3 Likes

The C-64 was the first computer, as far as I know, that introduced trackers and host the legendary SID sound from the chip labelled after the same name.

While it’s charming with just three monophonic voices and the very distinct sound the SID chip produces, were you to acquire a 64 today and the gear needed to make it work over MIDI, I would still guess that at some point, you’d be underwhelmed by its limitations, however charming it is.

I wrote my first stumbling pieces of electronic music on a C-64 tracker. Even back then, it was a fairly painful experience, despite the fact that we had no other options at the time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got a boxed C64C here that a work colleague gave me when he emigrated. I didn’t get any software with it sadly.

Even the boss is interested

4 Likes

He also gave me his old Amiga 600

8 Likes

:star_struck: :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

@Funk_Illuminati have a look through this thread

I don’t have any experience with the Moog Song Producer other than seeing it online a few times, IIRC around 10-15 years ago a number of new old stock ones appeared for sale on eBay US and appeared on Matrixsynth blog. It always looked interesting, although I don’t know how useful it would be today.

There is quite a thriving scene for C64 stuff, with lots of new peripherals and software still being made today, including quite a few music making tools and hardware.

The C64 itself is a pretty capable synth, given its age and with some caveats, but if you are determined to get a C64 setup working IMHO it is well worth it. Although obviously it is associated with chiptune, it is also capable of a wider range of sounds than typical chiptune stuff. It has a really nice PWM, some people say it is their favourite PWM sound.

I don’t use my C64 setup all the time, but it is great to have there when I feel like using it, I use mainly Mssiah, Cynthcart, Defmon, Midislave and a few other programs.

If you want to use it with midi Mssiah and Kerberos are both excellent and work well.

3 Likes

if you really want to go down the C64 wormhole you have to find eight and then build one of these.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582

four note Polyphony, with two SID chips per note, so three oscillators each for L/R channel on each note… it is quite the synth.

1 Like

the things that will probably annoy you about the C64/SID chip:

noise
there’s a bug with the ADSR envelope that makes playing staccato notes a bit hit and miss without workarounds to silence notes.

2 Likes

I have a couple of the SID voice chips lying around somewhere. I’ve always meant to build one into a module, but haven’t gotten around to it. :blush:

2 Likes

I have a gate pedal. Thank you so much @the_duckchild and @darenager. And Scott. And Bunker. And Jeanne. Oh and @circuitghost!

2 Likes

C64 was my first computer, and I consider getting an empty C64 (the later version that looked more like an Amiga) case and put a MiSTer in it since youtube has have gotten me nostalgic and into games - i bought my first game controller two years ago for my PC and never had a console :wink:

Apart from that, I’m actually not in chiptune aesthetics (what is generally associated with that word), which is of course not the SID’s fault.

This is cool (my fav youtuber showing an album on a cardrige on his SX64):

3 Likes

Hashtag dream synths

Building a Commodore 64 from completely new parts:

2 Likes