DSI Tetra
Waldorf Pulse 2 (paraphonic)
Waldorf Rocket (paraphonic)
Korg Minilogue XD Module
Roland SH01a
Roland JU06a
Roland System 1m

1 Like

Has anyone had both Sirin and SE-02 and could comment on which they preferred?

I had an SE-02 for a little while. It sounded great, it was capable of a wide sonic palate, it had PWM, and I liked that it had built in delay. On the unit I had, the oscillators were still audible, even when turned right down, which meant that I had to compensate by using the ones I wanted to hear at higher settings, which made it more difficult to achieve gentler sounds. I returned that one and never tested another one, so Iā€™m not sure if this was just a defective unit, or that is how they all work. I also found that the SE-02ā€™s reputation for having some wobbly knobs and an overly crowded panel, to be true.

I recently purchased a sirin and itā€™s simple and more sonically limited, but it sounds nice. I miss having the octave switches on the oscillators and for that matter, the extra oscillator, but the build quality is better and youā€™re less likely to accidentally turn a knob when not intending to.

Both good monos that can sound great. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

To make life harder, a Sirin just popped up on the local auction siteā€¦

I keep forgetting it has no MIDI Thru :unamused:

And no power switch. :thinking:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been listening to a lot of samples, and it does sound good in the things it does: bass, and airy leads, especially with reverb.
And itā€™s a nice style and shapeā€¦

This is a good ā€œapples-to-applesā€ comparison:

Had a Minitaur, and this really annoyed me. Sometimes, I just want to use one or two of my synths! Using a power strip with a switch helped a bit, but still.

1 Like

Yes, it bugged me too. Those synths (Sirin, Minitaur) are not lowcost, and even Korg implemented a powerswitch for their Volcas, soā€¦why not on the Moogs?

2 Likes

I fear I still want one of these :frowning:

Itā€™s a great sounding synth, albeit a fairly basic one. Theyā€™re a little harder to track down these days, and perhaps not the best value. Have you had a look at the Dreadbox Typhon? Seems to be a great little desktop mono synth, with lots of modulation and great sounding effects, for a really great price.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m in doubt too, I like the sound of the Sirin, but little things start to bother me. No midi control over presets (via midi controller). Iā€™m mostly working with quite a few synths at the same time, so presets are almost a must. No screen on Sirin, no midi control, ā€¦ Iā€™m close to selling it actually.

What do you mean?

Well, no screen means Iā€™m constantly messing up with my presets. So I prefer to control and change my presets via my midi controller. And apparantly we can not use sysex or cc messages to control choose and change presets (or programs if you like) on Sirin or Minotaur. I know the manual states it does, but Iā€™ve looked for hours, without succes. And as far as I see on the internet, nobody has a solution to this. So, just in case Iā€™m wrong, and you know how to do, please let me know. :slight_smile:

So, actually, it made me decide that for me, every synth I buy now and in the future must have a decent program change via midi functionality or at least a screen. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m controlling my Sirin with my Digitakt via a MIDI Track with no problem. I can do Program Change and MIDI Control Change (CCā€™s). Iā€™m saving all my Settings within the DT.

2 Likes

Indeed, no problems with my Digitakt either (via Program change in Elektron), but no success with other midi controler (Iā€™m using Electra One).

I change Presets on ny Minitaur all the time.
MIDI Program Change msg, not CC.

There arent that many Presets and I have certain ones i go back to all the time.

I believe nearly everything is accessible by MIDI so theoretically you can pgm your patches on the fly via MIDI, no? So if you use a robust Event Processor you can just pgm the patches at the beginning of a song.

1 Like

Well, I have one ā€˜padā€™ on my controller per preset, so thatā€™s fine. The only thing I miss is the way to scroll through my presets. But actually, the limitation of having one ā€˜padā€™ per presets, is pushing me to define my preferred presets before hand, so it could actually turn out for the better.

2 Likes

If you dont have a way to send PgmChg, that is not the problem with the destination synth.

1 Like