Moog Model 10 Synthesizer Returns

Thoughts?

1 Like

Already know its too expensive for me but it sure looks great !

1 Like

Yeh! Hand built to that much detail! I just spent 2 weeks building a timber case for my 19ā€™ rack gear and it drove me up the wallā€¦in the video it shows them hand drilling holes in the cases on site and putting the actual cases togetherā€¦! Nuts!! Me thinks its going to be priced for bankers and lawers who are having a mid life crisis but dont ride harleys or drive lambosā€¦but yeh looks nice and sounds voiced differently enough from my current Moogs to dream.

ā€¦and still no euro rack modules of these historical designs. Well Moog definitely can stick to their plan.

Sounds rather lovely! :see_no_evil:

Music Radar is saying $9950ā€¦ Ouch.

Very little in my studio is now safeā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:
This is exactly what Iā€™ve been hoping Moog would do, as I canā€™t likely ever afford a IIIp system. Despite the inflated price, this seems a little more within reach.

5 Likes

If that is the price it will be similar AUD to the Moog oneā€¦sooooo much money.

Dear Elektronaut Robot ā€” Itā€™s not me reviving this thread, itā€™s Moog. So please relax.

Bit of a puff video Moog just released to celebrate their Model 10 being back in production, as opposed to the 2019 limited edition. And theyā€™ve added some small upgrades too, like for instance staying in tune better.

3 Likes

This is pretty cool, itā€™ll definitely find a home in professional studios. Iā€™d be thrilled if I walked in and they had one of these.

I think this term gets thrown around a bit too liberally, but in this case these circuit boards and panels are truly a work of art.

12000$

Iā€™d be interested in discovering how the ā€˜improvementsā€™ could be added without sacrificing the authenticity they are claiming. The wording of the release seems to carefully avoid the previous limited releaseā€™s claims to 1:1 authenticity (which was not quite true, but darn close). I bought my Model 10 reissue because I wanted the full and exact experience of owning a vintage pre-921 oscillator based Moog system. Instability and all. If they change the Osc circuits to make it more stable, then it by nature fails to be authentic.

Of course, there may be some ā€œauthenticā€ improvements Moog could employ. There were many in-house custom improvements made in Ye Olde Dayes to improve stability to the 901 oscillators. Keith Emersonā€™s system had many such modifications and I have no doubt his was not the only one. Some of the improvements may have resulted in the eventual 921 oscillator design, though I donā€™t know that for sure.

The power improvements might have been necessary. The Model 10 supplies power to the (optional) 953) keyboard, and I know of more than one Model 10 owner that have had issues with that keyboard which may have been attributable to power issues. I myself had terrible issues with the 953, but that keyboard was atrocious in so many ways that I happily returned it and got a better one from Synthesizers.com. Since then my Model 10 has been working beautifully, providing exactly the inexact scaling and imprecise stability I want from it.

Is it worth $12k? I paid $10,000 for mine, plus state sales tax of a little less than a grand, so nearly $11k. And another $1200 for the .com keyboard. And for my part, it was the most inspiring purchase Iā€™ve made in decades. It is a joy to make music and sounds with and work with all of its limitations, frustrations, surprises, and joys.

So yeah, well worth it for me. I wouldnā€™t want it to be my only synth, but if I had to keep only one it would the Model 10.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a strange thing in the synth world. It seems so often that people feel they have to justify to other people spending money on a luxury synth. Just take one look at classic car enthusiasts and ~$10k for something that brings you joy, seems like a pittance.

5 Likes

It seems to be available for order, now. Well, not exactly 12000 $ here in Europeā€¦