Moog Matriarch

The delay is already so good, nice reverb just tops it all off!

OTO BAM for me most of the time and sometimes my Space Pedal (or plugins too).

1 Like

12 Likes

Beautiful :heart_eyes:!

1 Like

Very nice. Did you craft these yourself?

Iā€™ve getting these random blips off the delay that cascade into an endless cavern. Absolutely gorgeous!

2 Likes

Those are absolutely gorgeous! Would you consider making more of them by any chance?
How are these mounted?

Iā€™d like pink anodized aluminum with glow in the dark green stripes more myself. But this is a close second.

3 Likes

Iā€™m struggling to think of anything better, for the multi-colour one.

1 Like

Sparkles.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t looking for Matriarch vids, but Youtube recommended it.

Pretty nice live set featuring only Matriarch. He has legit skillz on the keys which helps

1 Like

Going to have to buy a tube of glitter and just slice it open over my synth rack now.

1 Like

Whatā€™s up e-nauts,

Iā€™m in need of some guidance, please!

Iā€™ve had the Grandmother for the past 10 months, and Iā€™ve played it a lot and have gotten to know it inside and out (wellā€¦almost). I reeeaallly love the grandmotherā€”itā€™s got a magic to it for sure and is simple (in a good way) and amazingly ā€œimmediateā€ as people say.

I just took delivery of a Matriarch, having recently made the decision to upgrade. I bought it from a vendor with a 45 day return period and I want to put the matriarch through its paces to decide whether to keep it or decide to stick with my beloved grandmother.

My question to yā€™all is: are there any features I should explore first? Any modulation tricks that the matriarch excels at which I should explore? Any other functionality I should dive into to sell myself on this ā€œmothershipā€ and itā€™s capabilities? Anybody have any patches that will educate me and flex the modularity of this beast (especially interested in some self generative stuff as the g-ma canā€™t really go into that territory).

I guess I should say itā€™s a little more intimidating to me than the g-ma ever was. I just plugged it in this afternoon and explored paraphonic unison mode as well as messed around with the delay (which is amazingā€”def want to get patching on that). Iā€™ll probably dive into round robin modes tonight and do some of the patches from the book that came with it.

Come this weekend I want to dive into patching this thing in more of a free-form and exploratory wayā€”any guidance on bread and butter patching with the matriarch that will excite and delight?

Thanks as always ! Iā€™m pumped.

1 Like

Iā€™d say just get lost in itā€¦ patch and tweakā€¦ I honestly didnā€™t feel the need to patch at all for a long time because I would just start writing parts/tracks within a few minutes.

The Matriarch will take you in new directions every time you sit down at it.

I would recommend inputting some of your own sequences into its memory, then play around with the sounds.

1 Like

Your new Matriarch should come with a Patchbook.

Moog also has other Matriarch patchbooks on the website.

Iā€™m more of a learn-by-doing, look up the theory later kind of person, so trying out Patchbook patches, and tinkering with them to try to understand how they work, has been a good learning process for me.

The majority of so called self-generative patches I found for Matriarch are just using the sequencer or arpeggiator. Nothing wrong with having those onboard though!

1 Like

Look at the midi chart. Basically anything that doesnā€™t have a direct patch point can be controlled with MIDI and thereā€™s a lot of parameters available, quite a bit more than the Grandmother.

One tip is that the attenuvertors will output a voltage if you plug nothing into the input.

This lets you use them as control knobs for parameters that have a patch point, but no dedicated knob. Filter 2 cutoff for example. Or some of the delay parameters.

Also, use it to push a controller even further than its max. Patch an attenuvertor to delay time to increase it beyond normal limits

3 Likes

Curious to hear what you think about the Matriarch after upgrading from the gm. I have the grandma and Iā€™ve considered upgrading ever since the matriarch was released.

The thing holding me back is that the GM really feels like the ultimate monosynth to me and I fear that the matriarch will not feel as magical. I might just be kind of intimidated by the matriarchā€™s functions haha.

Since you love the GM as well It would be great to hear your opinion on this upgrade after some weeks of use!

1 Like

Iā€™ve not used my Matriarch for a few months, and I wasnā€™t that deep with it. However, it absolutely felt and sounded magical to me. When I had it out, I couldnā€™t stop playing it. The overall tone is gorgeous and the flow across the panel is a joy. I havenā€™t used a GM, so I canā€™t compare. If I had to sell instruments, the Matriarch (and Rytm) would be the last to go.

The Matriarch doesnā€™t feel like a monosynth, to me. It doesnā€™t feel like a poly either. You might imagine that makes it annoying, but I feel they got it to a great half-way point that lets it be very useful at a wide range of roles, whilst sounding great.

4 Likes

Haha you make it sound very temptingā€¦ for me, Rytm and GM would be the last gear to ever leave my studio so I feel you on that one.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with thisā€¦ it does live somewhere in between a mono synth and a 4-voice poly (makes me think of the A4 and Microfreak, but itā€™s completely different to both).
Those angular paraphonic sounds that the Matriarch does are real growersā€¦ I found the abruptness of the envelopes quite harsh at first (when you play/release notes whilst holding others), but I really dig that sound now.

Iā€™ve seen them side by side at a friends house, and they compliment each other really wellā€¦ obvs itā€™s not a cheap set up to have, but I think I would grab a GM for the right price. I have a Sub37 already, I feel that might be more of the GM clash for me.

1 Like