Moog Matriarch

@JohnnyEgo @plusn Super interesting! Sounds like the A4 is a viable alternative to a modular for teaming up with a Matriarch.

As I don’t have an A4, but own some modules, I’m considering putting my beloved Pamela’s New Workout and maybe some other utility modules in a really small 4ms pod, and sell the rest of the rack.

2 Likes

Another fun patch idea to explore. It’s apparently a burbly, semi percussive drone thing that accompanies sequenced chords (played by DX7). Video and link to patch notes in this post

1 Like

A couple of Matriarch only jams from today. Octatrack (midi arp and fx) as well as Oto BIM, BAM and Analog Heat also used in both.

The first one to me is sort of like krautrock-ish ambient, with different Matriarch patches and loops recorded on the OT, plus some performed live on the Matriarch.

The second one is more about slowly evolving textures, a bit like shoegazey or post-rockish synth ambient, just one live take through the aforementioned pedals. Maybe a tad too long for its own good but I didn’t feel like editing it. A lot of the lovely distortion comes from the Matriarch filter. The patch in this one is a modified version of the Dancing Bells patch in the Matriarch Exploration Patchbook, with e.g. an expression pedal used to modulate the delay mix.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this instrument!

9 Likes

Nice!!

1 Like

i love it, but it is also too intense for me.

This is exactly what I have been doing lately and it is very fun. I need to try out some different combinations of modules in the future, but so much enjoyment to be had.

4 Likes

So I have an analog four mk2 and a matriarch. Never did any cv with a4
Where to start? What do I want to do with it?
Things like this?

Sequence from A4 to matriarch?
Play matriarch keys into A4 ?
Automate matriarch from A4?
Envelopes, lfo and arp from A4 to matriarch?

yes

yes :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sure, patch A4 CV outs into any Matriarch CV jack with a label that includes “In”. Have fun!

Try patching through any of the 3 Attenuators on the way, as they will give you some extra control/finesse.

Also try the Mults

3 Likes

Very good advice on making use of the attenuators. Another suggestion would be to route A4 voices into the Matriarch’s CP3 mixer and filter for some nice grit and stereo spacing. Simple but will allow for some different textures from the A4.

2 Likes

A quick question about the already reported midi (mis)behaviour of the Matriarch. Did the latest firmware update fix this for you?

I’m still scratching my head trying to control other synths with the Matriarch keyboard via the Octatrack. When Matriarch midi out channel is on the OT Auto channel, pressing some keys can, for example, start the OT, mute/unmute audio tracks, change the chosen audio track. This can happen both when I’m playing the Matriarch as is (OT on audio tracks) or when I’m on OT midi tracks trying to control some other synths…

Of course this might be due to some of the OT settings as well but I didn’t get anything like this when I used the Keystep as my controller (via the Octatrack)

Short showcase of the Matriarch going through a Walrus R1 Reverb pedal. I am going through each fx algo, from left to right, first dry, wet fading in, then fading out, dry signal again.
Matriarch only one Osc, no FX on, just the Arp noodling.

Second a demo of the R1 being used with the Matriarch in a musical context. One track is a sequence including Matriarch Delay on, tweaking knobs, R1 only Refracture Reverb used.
Second track is Matriarch one osc bass, no FX at all.

Walrus or die.

2 Likes

i would love to controll my a4 with my keyboard,
it works, but I always hear the moog too, so I have to turn off the sound of the moog, play the a4 with the moog, and then turn on the volume of the moog again. Is there any other way to do this, hopefully on a way I dont turn off the sound of the moog?

Matriarch English manual, page 64, 1.7 Global Parameter „Local off“, is set to local on by default. You need to turn that off.

2 Likes

thank you!
a lot of abracadabra for me in this manual, although it is also very well written and helps me a lot.
settings but not a settings menu is tough for me.

Question: do I understand correctly that I can set off local keys, and send key message to the A4, but also play my Matriarch from the keys, through the A4?

Yes, this should work if you set the midi routing correct in the A4 and Matriarch.

What abracadabra do you mean? About the functions of the modules?

The global settings can be done via Webbrowser (e.g. Chrome) and this Site: Moog Matriarch Global Settings Editor

1 Like

That Global Settings Editor goes a long way toward moving me to purchase one of these, thanks. I just have one question left: the 1.2.0 firmware manual says MTS is fully supported, then page 12 says, “Single-Note Tuning (retunes notes individually).” If that means MTS Single Note Tuning Change (Real-time) with sub-ID #1 = 08 and sub-ID #2 = 02, then I’m in. The Global Settings Editor doesn’t handle that sysex, and Moog hasn’t replied to my email. At this level of expense, I’d like to verify first. Can anyone here verify that real-time tuning for arbitrarily sized blocks of keys is functional on Matriarch?

The editor is not officially from Moog, it’s from Mark Reid. You should contact him. The whole page is hosted on GitHub. GitHub - mreid/matriarch-editor: A JavaScript MIDI SysEx editor for the Moog Matriarch

I am no JavaScript dev, but after having a look at the code, it seems that you need to edit the parameter.js and add the missing parameter there.

Sorry, I never use that, and honestly you get a full modular full CV controllable synth and you want to mess in real time with the tuning tables via USB MIDI via a web editor? Just thinking loud here.

1 Like

It’s my sole reason for even considering purchasing a Matriarch. Currently, the only other hardware device that supports real-time tuning is Waldorf Kyra. I need at least some kind of contrast to that.

I mean, I have plenty of other stuff, but for full-spectrum micrtonality, I’m trapped inside that Kyra.

Korg Monologue can’t do that in real-time?

I am not sure if a Matriarch is the right choice for your purpose. You could CV control the pitch of each Osc individually via a CV sequencer and have each step get CV controlled as well. Some CV sequencer allow to play the steps manually then.
Maybe you should take a closer look to something like the Haaken Continuum or the new Osmose synth.