Moog Matriarch vs Vermona Perfoumer MKII

Matriarch looks like the best fit for me. Nobody else seems to care about the 90 patch points but to me that’s a big part of the fun. I mess with my MS-20 Mini more than any of my other monosynths because its so fun to move patch cables around to check out what happens.

I don’t play keyboard in a band, so the modular patching far outweighs the lack of presets.

1 Like

I found Valhalla Supermassive (free) work very very well with PERfourMER.

1 Like

Here is a litte clip from last night.

14 Likes

I do! that’s why I mentioned above (third reply!) that it’s great for more experimental stuff or if you have eurorack or the Moog M32/DFAM/Sub modules.

the 90 patch points aren’t to be overlooked. it’s actually more than the ARP 2600 has…

2 Likes

I like.

1 Like

Ah, sorry I overlooked your mention.

Friend of mine implored me to not preorder the KARP 2600 (reissue), then threw a little party for me and other friends to check out his Moog Matriarch. He’d seen the 2600, Matriarch, Sequential Pro 3, etc. at NAMM and chose the Matriarch. After playing it and hearing it through his nice monitors, I had to admit to him that Iucked out with my failed 2600 preorder.

I want to get one of my own as well the new Moog edition Patch & Tweak book, even though some say it’s only worth having as a coffee table book.

2 Likes

this is nearly the right advice : of course the correct thing to do was to buy the 2600 & then get a Matriarch… :sweat_smile:

I’ve got the 2600 FS & a Grandmother - the two get on brilliantly. I’m always tempted by the Matriarch though …

2 Likes

I’ve got an OG 2600 but the 3620 keyboard no longer works. wonder if getting a Matriarch would be cheaper than repairing it… :thinking:

3 Likes

I had a preorder for the 2600 with a store that had it marked as In Stock. After a confusing exchange of emails, they informed me that it was actually out of stock and canceled my order.

I’m sure the Matriarch will keep me busy enough after I get it.

1 Like

yeah if your buddy was telling you at NAMM to hold off, you were way past the cut-off anyway. they sold out within 24 hours like two weeks before NAMM. now it seems they’re all double the price on Reverb… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Vermona seems like sounding better, fuller and creamer, it’s like 4 synths in one box. Moog has more modulation options and seq, keyboard etc… Go figure… My sympathies go to V.

Well, I made a purchase. Matriarch it is…at least for now.

1 Like

Never even knew Korg reissued the ARP 2600. Have to save up for that one.

Yeah, we talked about my bad luck on the 2600 thread.

Only as a limited production run. All sold out, and no sign of Korg making another batch.

The perfourmer becomes a completely different synth when you start chaining the oscillators with FM and sync. Crazy noise machine, most demos just do nice creamy dreamy arpeggios but it can get very gnarly as well

3 Likes

I remember MK1 was very good at that. Also I guess they tweaked the synth engine a bit so MK2 seems like sounds notably smoother, bigger and wider.

I produced some of the Sounddemos for the Perfourmer Mk2. There should be some on the Vermona site that show the FM side.

EDIT: There you Go:

3 Likes

My heart still goes out to the Vermona. I will eventually grab one. There were some fundamental reasons to grab a Matriarch.

1. I need a full(ish) Keybed.
  2. Analog delay.
  3. Integrates with Mother 32

There is the patching to speak of. I could (in theory) set up an interesting patch, sample with Digitakt, and move on to the next adventure. Fun times.

1 Like

It definitely seems like both are capable of very experimental and harsh sounds too and also have very good sounding oscillators. I haven´t played many paraphonic synths but from the demos of the Matriarch and others I think there is some magic in having the oscs summed before going into the filter. Too bad the Matriarch´s mixer isn´t stereo. In comparison, lacking the patch points the Perfourmer really shines as an instrument with its cool modulation possibilities as well as its limitations, which imo makes it more interesting in a weird way. Having the CV version I have been patching the individual outs into the pitch and gate inputs to achieve mad drones with the envelopes triggering at audio rate.

1 Like