Moog Matriarch vs Vermona Perfoumer MKII

If we’re back to 2 choices instead of 3, maybe it comes down to whether you want the built-in sequencer, arpeggiator and keyboard or… you need to save the space by not having a keyboard and using external gear for sequencer and arpeggiator.

I know what the answer would be for me.

Sorry, but there is absolutely nothing that is not clear in that SOS paragraph cited above.

Fair enough.

While “there is absolutely nothing that is not clear…” to you, that does not mean that we all know and understand things in the exact same way.

1 Like

I sold my Vermona for Grandmother. No regrets. Sounded great but i couldn’t find good workflow for it.
In the end it felt like programming 4 separate synthesizers so most of the time i used max two voices.

1 Like

I reread that section over and over until it finally dawned upon me that he is referring to sequence capabilities with midi in the milliseconds, and not the human perception of making chords with a midi keyboard.
In regards to your first comment, the Matriarch has THAT sound. The Per4mer, (even though sounding somewhat vintage at times) gives me a euro dance vibe. This could be due in part to the players using it and not the synth itself. Nevertheless, not my jam. The Prophet 6 module is coming in as a strong contender, but for $200 less with the Matriarch to have a keyboard with an amazing analog delay makes this a choice I’m gonna have to sleep on for a couple days, or until my soul speaks to me in the middle of the night.

1 Like

Great idea, keep us updated. I have owned the Vermona, and I enjoyed it, but ultimately sold it because the sound just wasn’t what I was looking for. But sound is subjective, and as seen in this thread, there are people who love theirs. I have had a Grandmother since launch, and I can say that I love the sound of the oscillators and filters, and haven’t considered selling it. I like it so much that I am looking to get a Matriarch at some point. Also, I see you are considering a P6, which sounds great. And not to muddy the waters, but I would also suggest looking into the OB6. That one hits all the right spots for me. But yeah, just follow your ears. It’s gonna be the sound of the synth that keeps you coming back for more.

1 Like

If you’re open to looking outside of these two and it’s a vintage sound you’re after, I can’t recommend the Motas-6 enough… It also has a ton of tricks up it’s sleeve so that you’d never get bored with it as you’d never run out of new sounds to make.

1 Like

Why are you promoting this Synth in every thread? Are you the Designer of the Motas?

4 Likes

Because I like it and think others would too, I could keep my mouth shut but if someone is looking for something and I think it fits the bill, why would I? Also hardly every thread :slight_smile:

I’m not the designer, should be quite easy to find that out for yourself if you want.

Also another point in why I keep recommending it is that I see it as far superior to the other options out there and I think it’s a shame that people ignore it for the other options just because of Moog / DSI / Whatever having more money to spend on marketing (or any money to spend on marketing for that matter) This is of course my opinion and I’m happy to be told I’m wrong but I just think people should at least be aware of the option as I would have been sad to find out about it after purchasing some other flagship mono / paraphonic synth.

1 Like

The cascading filter modulation and different lfo speeds are great on the P4mer. Also detuning the voices individually really makes it sound so good in the poly mode.

1 Like

The Motas-6 is feature superior, but it lacks the speciality that both, p4mer and Matriarch have. The possibility to spread voices across the stereofield on the p4mer (together with the round-robin voice mode) and the stereo filter architecture on the Matriarch, that is IMHO the USP of it.

But the Analog Four regarding voice modes and polyphony, and using track sounds is just as flexible as the P4mer and IMHO a better deal. Plus you can save patches and it doesn´t eat so much desk real estate. Plus the sequencer… :3lektron: :wink:

1 Like

Yeah that’s true, the Motas isn’t stereo so if that’s what you’re after then it’s the wrong place to look… Although for the cost of a Matriarch you’re really not far off the cost of two Motas-6 which would give you the option for stereo and all the other benefits a second unit would add. I ended up selling a bunch of gear to fund a second one and I can definitely understand the appeal of stereo patches as I love doing this with the two.

I have an A4 too which is a great synth that I love but I feel like a voice from it compared to a voice from P4mer / Matriarch is quite thin / weak or at least it requires a lot more work to get it sounding big where as the P4mer / Matriarch sound big from the get go.

At the end of the day, it’s very difficult to say what it is that someone’s looking for, but it’s great for them to be made aware of all the options / different approaches that’re out there for what they have in mind.

Yes, but A4 is easier to mix. :wink:

3 Likes

Matriarch and Perfourmer is like apple and orange.

Motas 6 is like a durian

1 Like

That’s a good thing to point out. I was always curious of the a4, but the “thin” quality of the oscillators always kept me searching for a synth with heft. I own a Digi and a Mother 32, and that has kept me happy for sometime. I do notice the one setback of a M32 is even though the sound is solid, it really wants to take up a lot of room in the mix. The A4 may not impress on the first try, but I if applied to good studio use you will appreciate the lack of presence, as it won’t intrude onto other instrument tracks.
I’m not downplaying the M32 in anyway. I believe having a sound that wants to dominate is a good problem to have.

1 Like

At 31250 bps, a midi note on message takes 24 bits to send, so 0.7ms. To play 4 notes would take a total of 2.8ms. For some perspective, sound travels around 1.3 feet per millisecond.

IMO the fact that someone walked away thinking the perfourmer can’t play chords suggests the SOS paragraph is a bit easy to misunderstand

1 Like

People forget sometimes, that one can thicken the sound on the A4 by using unison. 4 Osc plus 4 Sub Osc…

1 Like

These days, I use AM and osc sync to fatten the sound before it hits the filters and distorsion… I used to forget OSC2 secondary menu, it has become the first place I go when I start a sound from scratch.

To stay off topic, Peak is also a fabulous beast. You can go really wild with this, and there are a lot of modulations and controls.
Here again, even if the naked oscillators can’t compete with a Moog, the whole synth make up for this. Wide expressiveness!

1 Like

Moog is always sounding like a Moog. That was my main Motivation to sell my Voyager after 8 years…at one Point, i couldnt stand it any longer and i wanted something Else.
I had also a P4mer for several years, and it really is in the same League as the Moog, when it is about warm thick Bass. Plus the P4mer has this awesome really beautifull sine Wave Sound. Its sooo wonderful!
Definately needs a great sounding reverb.

1 Like