Moog Grandmother

And I would love to know your final choice :slight_smile:

In the meantimeā€¦ Ahem, we got a problem, Houston.

She totally digs it, both the sounds and the name.
Damn.

9 Likes

Iā€™m so thrilled at how naturally she talks through the synth and experiments with sounds.
Seems I have to revisit my plansā€¦

This synth has now a name : Grandma is now called Julie.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

She gets way into it, her facial expressions are so goodā€¦
Itā€™s hersā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

@Open_Mike Totally ! Although I wonā€™t let her know too soonā€¦
But I will patiently teach her !

@bradleyallen your words remind me of @andreasromanā€™sā€¦
Anyway, with all the gear I own my live setup with Paula Berthe is OT+DN. If I had lost everything those would be the ones Iā€™d get back!

2 Likes

Got this a while ago mainly using it to play key bass and simple patches. Decided to try use the sample and hold more today for a quick random patch.

1 Like

Hi guys, i got a gm recently, loving it so far. I do have a question for the other grandmother owners here: does your envelope amt knob also act different then the other knobs? Mine has les resistance and is sort of snapping to the center position, which is kind of useful, but is this normal?

yes, mine is the same. I think its intended since center is off.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I was expecting this to be intended but it feels good to know nothing is broken :sweat_smile:

I do wish the attenuverter also locked at zero like the filter env amount.

Congrats on your new GM itā€™s a great synth!

1 Like

Damn the GAS is real for a grandmother!

Seriously - go for it. The thing is amazing, and I love mine more every day.

silly question but did everyone get a slinky with their grandmother ?

Hahah no I didnā€™tā€¦ maybe only the first batch included those?

Yeah, I did, a black plastic one. :slight_smile:

Sadly, plastic sounds much less nice when recorded with a contact mic.

Yeah I think it was the first batch, the guy at the store said youā€™ll find a nice surprise inside, I knew he was talking about the slinky but I didnā€™t find one, kinda like these collector things but anyways the grandmother is a gift in itself, the build quality and the sound are just top-notch!

1 Like

Wow that makes a mean kick sound, is that your video? Care to share the audio ?

Not mine Iā€™m afraid, but contact mics cost about Ā£1 so are perfect for DIY sample collecting.

1 Like

yep - I got a Slinky. I believe my GM was the first non-demo / loan unit in the Uk :wink:

Question for grandma owners: is there a way to decouple one of the oscillators from the pitch wheel? One of my fav MS20 tricks is sending wheel to osc2 and then scanning the intervals, especially with ringmod on. I noticed the GM has no modwheel CV output so was trying to think of a workaround.

Second one: is there a way of using the sequencer note info as CV modulation?

Finally, general thoughts on the synth? I love the sound and UI - despite being somewhat feature-limited, I feel like it has all the secret sauce needed to keep one happy for a long time. The other mono I really love is the MS20, in terms of UI and general science-lab functionality, but I eventually grew frustrated with its aggressive sound and inability to sync to anything.

Grandmother is a beauty, a bit fat but sounds lovely.
I returned it though, cause I needed a new mixer and it was not reasonable to keep such a big monosynth, but this sound still haunts me.

Matriarch, thoughā€¦

4 Likes