Moog Grandmother

As well as the new Grandmother Dark Series announced today, there’s a new firmware update that adds the much-requested multi-trig envelope behaviour:

I thought they’d never add it!

6 Likes

I just had the scare of my life with the spring reverb malfunctioning, I literally slapped the side of the GM and it went back to normal. This is completely on me though because when I first got it there was a crack on the body that I didnt notice until maybe 4 months after I bought it. But the reverb tank coming loose isnt something youd expect from a 1k synth.

Seems like the 1.1 firmware had some bugs; Moog have now released a new 1.1.1 firmware which you can grab at the Moog website:
https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2020-09/Grandmother_Firmware_v1_1_1.zip

2 Likes

1.1.2 Firmware is out now!

“…features improvements to the sync engine that keeps the internal arp/sequencer, analog clock, and MIDI all tightly locked in phase; adaptive tempo filtering; an increase in maximum clock output to over 500Hz; and many other firmware enhancements and bug fixes for the instrument based on your feedback.”

1 Like

I went to the website to read the release notes, and it is now up to 1.1.3! The hits just keep coming.

Anybody using one of these MidiVolts Desktops with their Grandmother? Can’t say I understand what it does but turning a mono synth into a four-note poly/paraphony is pretty cool. Unfortunately it seems these are (currently) sold out.

4 Likes

It looks similar in functionality to this:

Which I bought to create a poly Moog out of Werkstatts (not remotely happened though…)

1 Like

Yeah that looks similar. I don’t have either (nor do I have a GM) but adding something like this to a Grandmother would kinda make it a Matriarch (which I do have) on a budget. I’ve seen GMs for around 650€ here in Finland so adding a MidiVolts would still keep it around half the price of a Matriarch. Certainly food for thought for people who don’t want to shell out 2k for a Matriarch mostly for the 4-note paraphony.

2 Likes

I’ve looked into it because a 3 voice paraphonic GM sounds great… but I think it doesn’t work as I would’ve liked:

Because the gm only has 1 amp env trigger input, you can only play paraphonicly by setting it to drone mode (which keeps the amp open), or by only playing 3 note chords, because only 1 of the 3 notes will trigger the amp. So no ‘true’ paraphony if I understand correctly :frowning:

Ps: i understand the difference between poly- and paraphony, I’m not talking about only having a single amp env for 3 voices, I’m talking about 2 of the voices not triggering the amp env at all.

Like I said, haven’t tried one of those myself. Whatever the settings they’re using, the sounds in the second video I posted are extremely nice, IMO. Reminds me I should use drone mode more often on the Matriarch.

1 Like

Hey there Grandmother enthusiast and curious,
I just made an acid tutorial with this lovely synthesizer, going online this evening at 19:00 UTC+1, if anyone want to tune in to the chatroom to ask any qustions, feel free to do so.

3 Likes

hi,

I can’t get firmware 1.1.3 to work. It gets stuck with the blinking yellow light and no reboot.
I had to downgrade to 1.1.1 to resurrect the GM

I tried on Mac and pc…

Anybody else?

I got a Digitone earlier this year and wasn’t planning on buying any new gear, but then I was faced with a strange dilemma: pay extra taxes or buy a synth. I mean, I’m very happy to pay taxes, but…

The Grandmother sounds absolutely beautiful and I’m really looking forward to having it next to my DFAMs and Subharmonicon in a few days. But my question is, does the Grandmother have a dark side? What kind of experimental/feedback/noise patches can you create with it?

1 Like

Very dark side, it slept with my ex.

2 Likes

Hi,

Exact same problem here.

Did you find a way to upgrade to 1.1.3 ?

I’m resurrecting this thread to ask a simple question (well, maybe a couple of not so simple questions):
Does anyone own the GM and the Koma Field Kits? And if so, any patching ideas? Also, how does GM work with Ableton CV Tools? Pretty well? Not so much? I really want to incorporate all this CV I have access to but don’t know quite where to start as far as utilizing the GM. I’m just gonna dive in but hopefully someone will chime in. I know I can somehow incorporate this extra lfo from Field Kit and GM will sound cool going through the FKFX but that’s the extent of it so far.

I own both the GM and the field kits, but I haven’t come around to trying them together? Reading your question, made me wanna try to put the reverb out from the GM, into the frequency shifter from fkfx, and use it’s little 4 step sequencer to control the pitch. Have no idea how it would sound, but might be interesting?

I just tried this myself, and it’s actually pretty cool. I needed to run the output of the frequency shifter through the Field Kit mixer, and crank the gain. It gives some eerie and metallic sounds, bordering on feedback, when I run the output back into the osc 2 input on the GM.

Yes! I got brave and just started trying stuff. S/H out of GM to cv interface of FKFX to Frequency Shifter amount. Pretty fun stuff. Also created an External Audio Effect in Ableton using the Field Kits and an External Instrument for GM. I think there is a lot of potential here for patching them together so if you come up with anything, report back.

2 Likes

I will - and please do the same. Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I think there is a lot of interesting things to be tried.