Motas-6 Synth

Very cool. I also got a chance to listen to your demos on a good set of headphones, the sound is definitely up my street, especially love the phase modulation and crazy mod stuff. It does sounds a lot ike the Manther imo. It will be interesting to know how it feels and responds when playing it. How are the envelopes btw? Nice and snappy? I was a bit gutted the envelopes dont appear to have controls on the front panel

It can get very sh101 like which is similar to Manther I think? I don’t know a huge amount it though.

The envelopes curve can be set from the extremes of Exponential to Logarithmic or anywhere between with 128 steps between the two extremes. At the most exponential setting, it’s probably snappier than anything else out there!

It’s actually really easy to edit the envelopes using the buttons on the right hand side and the encoder and you have a lot more range than you have on most synthesizers envelopes but of course it’s not as immediate as just turning a pot BUT Jon’s actually currently working on an update in this area… I don’t know the exact specifics but he’s mentioned some of his ideas on it so it won’t necessarily end up exactly like this but the basic idea is this: when on the envelope page, if you turn on both value lock and page lock (takes 2 seconds to get to this point) the top row of pots will act as pots for the various stages of the envelope (DADSR and maybe some more settings)

The above might sound complicated but it doesn’t feel so in practise at all… The same goes for the synth in general… It seems complicated but when you actually start using it you realise that everything is very well thought out in it’s layout and interface… If you do get one I recommend just spend a couple sessions just programming patches on it and it’ll very quickly become second nature to you. I had a week where I programmed 200 - 250 patches and after that I felt very confident with it… I also very much enjoyed it! Quite often I’d get lost in playing the patches on a keyboard which is something I pretty much never do with a monosynth (I generally sequence more than anything)

1 Like

I’m beyond pumped to hear that my 2nd Motas is now finished and tested and ready to ship that that I’ll have it some time next week! I opted for the silver one this time as my studio’s already completely mismatched and I’m a sucker for shiny things… and imo it looks really nice!

Can’t wait to begin exploring the potential of two units, Have been reading into the psychoacoustics of stereo sounds which is very interesting, I’m curious as to what I’ll be able to do with Motas-6 in stereo!

Jon also mentioned in the email that he’s going to continue work on the new firmware this weekend and that he should have it ready some time next week… He’s making it so that when a pot is selected (done by touching it) and you turn page lock and value lock on, The entirety of the modulation section will be mapped across the front panel for easy tweaking, Pretty great! Will make it a lot more intuitive to find the ton of sweet spots this thing has :slight_smile:

That’s it for me now in regards to buying new gear… If I want anything more I’m going to have to build it my self! (or maybe I’ll some day down the line I’ll justify a third one :sweat_smile: )

2 Likes

My second Motas-6 arrived today, really happy with the choice to get a second. I’ve only had a short play with it so far and most of the time has been spent in awe of the potential that two of these open up but I managed to get a droney / pad thing recorded with similar but slightly different and still related settings between the two. Anyone who’s interested in having a listen should try wearing headphones as I found that it felt so much more 3D when I did.

EDIT: Here’s another I just did… Watch your ears though as it gets pretty noisy at times. I tweak the patch a bunch through out so listen through / skip through if you want to hear all the variation.

https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector/motas-talks

EDIT: For anyone who might have missed it over at GS, I’ve copied and pasted this message from Jon.

" New Motas-6 firmware v0115 is now released!

Be sure to also check out the matching updated user guide v1.26.

This is a pretty big update (at least under the hood…).
I’ve added MIDI CC control of any patch parameter via a 24-slot mapping.
Mapping is saved globally or with patch.

Added rotary knob control of 24-slot mapping when page-lock and value-lock enabled on patch overview page.

Added rotary knob control of all main page-parameters when page-lock and value-lock enabled on parameter page.

Find out more at News"

Pretty huge update, the mapping of the modulation parameters to the front panel is very useful and I imagine many people who were worried about how hands on / menu divey this thing would be will be happy to hear this.

Also, the CC mapping update is great and very well thought out, I had great fun modulating the oscillator sync settings yesterday with some cool results.

So great to see this synth again and again continue to grow!

EDIT:

Hey everyone, been a while since I posted anything as I’ve had a very busy few weeks but I’ve got some stuff recorded from a few weeks back… Nothing that perfectly shows off the Motas (struggling to figure out how to do that as it’s sound potential seems to be pretty much infinite!)

I’ve got a bunch more to share too once I get around to uploading them although I’m running out of space on soundcloud so not sure what to do there…

https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector/motas-stereo
https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector/dual-motas-funk

How are all you other Motas users getting on? I’d love to hear what other people are making with theirs… I can’t help but feel my own musical taste is probably not what most people are into so would love to hear from someone who has a more classic taste in synth sounds would make with this.

I’m still constantly amazed by what the Motas can do, especially now that I have two of them and it’s great to hear that Jon has a lot of interest in exploring features that could be added for use with 2 or more units… It’s kind of funny but I’ve ended up generally using the two Motas in place of what I’d normally use a poly synth for, I generally like very textured pads and the Motas can just do so much more than anything else I have in that way. Wish more people would take a leap of faith with this thing as everyone I know that has, has been blown away by the sound and features.

EDIT:

I’ve got another few recordings of things I’ve used the Motas in a few weeks back, got around to going through stuff and thought I’d share, Some of the recordings are the Motas in isolation and some are the Motas(s) in little song sketches.

https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector/1-2-motass
https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector/saxxy-motas
https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector/self-seq
https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector/breezy

I’d still love to hear what others are making with theirs if anyone would care to share?

Oh, I don’t know if it’s been posted but I saw someone mention on a forum that detroit modular will soon be stocking the Motas in the US so anyone who’s been interested over there now has it a little easier :slight_smile:

EDIT: Continuing to edit this post as I can’t make new messages (due to 3 post in a row limit)

So inspired by a video I recently watched and also a trick you can do on the SY77 I decided to try and see if you could get something like wavefolding out of the Motas-6 using the PM section and I got some pretty amazing results which are drastically different from anything else I’ve heard out of the Motas until now. Anyone who’s got one, I recommend you give the following a try and have a play about with various settings as there’s a lot of range to it.

You want to create a chain of phase modulation from 1 > 2 > 3
Osc 3 as the carrier set to lowest possible pitch and set to a triangle wave
Osc 2 is turned right down, its pitch is set to 0c
Osc 1 is turned right down and you can vary the pitch to focus on various harmonics much the same way you would on an FM synth

I’m definitely hearing wavefold timbres coming out of this but the oscillators can’t be turned down to 0hz although they get pretty close so there is some movement to the sound you’d not hear on something like the 0-coast.

Very nice bonus thing to have in this synth, I recently bought a synth just for its wavefolding ability but I’m now probably going to be selling that as I’m happy enough with what I’m getting from the Motas, the wavefold timbres are maybe not as clear but there’s also a LOT more range and possibilities in what you can do with them.

I’m thinking I’ll probably make my first video on the Motas around this discovery as the sounds are WILD

Edit:

I noticed today that the SoS review of the Motas-6 is now available to us non subscribers so I thought I’d share as I imagine someone who’s job it is to review synths can do a better job talking about it than I.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/motas-electronics-motas-6#:~:text=The%20Motas‑6%20brings%20together,three-oscillator%2C%20analogue%20monosynth.&text=That’s%20one%20for%20each%20analogue,FM%20tones%20from%20analogue%20oscillators.

Been working on figuring out this new technique with the Motas as much as possible so I can do a video demo on it soon, have been able to get some really nice, usable results from it now so will be making the video probably sometime in the coming week and will uploading to Youtube.

EDIT:

I made a couple of videos showing off a few unusual things about the Motas recently and thought I’d share… My hopes with this videos as opposed to my demos on soundcloud was to give an idea of how it feels to program the Motas as at a glance it could seem overwhelming with all the available features but my experience with it is that everything is very intuitively laid out and there’s a lot of things implemented that help improve the patch making process (such as the copy button, resetting a value with the up/down button, and the map modulation to pane function by turning on page and value lock) After spending a couple weeks programming this thing, it’s muscle memory and the main limitation after that is just your own imagination in how to combine all the various possibilities.

Video on using the hpf resonance mode on lpf1 and combining it with a particular filter routing, all sound is coming from LPF1 but the HPF and LPF2 are routed in a sort of loop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMSycZy6-ms&t=234s

Video on achieving wavefold-like timbres using the phase modulation section by setting the carrier VCO to either sub or supersonic levels (in the demo I use supersonic):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yshukfnCktY

EDIT:

Sharing this here over from GS:

"Hi, Jon here from Motas Electronics.

New firmware is now released, get it from Downloads - Motas-6

Polychaining is the biggest new feature, see the list below for full details of this update.
Please read the updated user guide for more info.

Enjoy!

CHANGE HISTORY LOG:
v06020116:
FEATURE: New polychaining of multiple Motas-6 units for polyphonic playing.
FEATURE: New intelligent MIDI OUT merge function, required by polychaining
FEATURE: New options to transmit patch and global settings on various pages (especially useful with polychaining).
FEATURE: New infra- and ultra-sonic modes for VCO2 and VCO3 primarily for use with phase modulation to allow carrier suppression.
FEATURE: New CV option to send MIDI CC codes
FEATURE: Changed portamento values to display time or rate instead of arbitrary units.
FEATURE: When patch is reset to default the parameter mappings now also reset.
FEATURE: Improved SysEx sending routines to lock-out other data when sending
FEATURE: New MIDI diagnostics display option to show last 16 events as HEX values.
FEATURE: LFO pitch now changes by 1 octave in pitch/note track mode when using encoder pushed.
FEATURE: Improved keypress handling on menus
FEATURE: Increased update and sending rate of CC mapping real-time control.
FEATURE: Added NRPN control and parameter mapping for portamento, note-off tracking, LFO sync MIDI and pitchwheel sensitivity.
FEATURE: Disabled sending of NRPN data when MIDI CC data is sent for a parameter in the parameter map.
BUG-FIX: Fixed error in mapping text display garbled.
BUG-FIX: Removed always sending MIDI CC from CV data.
BUG-FIX: Fixed some NRPN parameters being sent with the wrong codes.
BUG-FIX: Fixed calibration routine for noise source intensity reporting FAIL incorrectly."

Pretty huge update, excited to give that polychain stuff a go but there’s also so much else in this update that I’m excited for :slight_smile:

EDIT:

"Released today:
MotasEdit - version 1.09 now adds editing of patch parameter mappings News

v1.0.9
Feature: added editing of parameter/CC mapping
Feature: improved default file location handling
Feature: added support for VCO2/3 infra- and ultra-sonic modes
Feature/Bug-fix: added MIDI channel choice operation, previously was fixed at NRPNs sent on ch1, SysEx on ch2
Bug-fix: Corrected text error on LPF1 resonance choice."

Thought I’d share for the few Motas owners here on Elektronauts.

I’d originally completely overlooked the editor as when I bought this I was completely OTB where as I now use Architect for all my sequencing and I have to say that MotasEdit is such a valuable tool to me now, being able to automate parameters via modulations within Architect ONTOP of all the modulation potential already within the Motas is completely insane, the Motas has been doing things I’d never thought possible of an analog synth :slight_smile:

EDIT:

I was watching a video on the Pulsar 23 earlier and thought it was really cool but ultimately can’t afford to spend out that much on gear and also the CV aspect of it doesn’t really work with the way I do music.

Anyway… looking at the sections on there, it got me thinking if I couldn’t eventually do something similar with the Motas due to how much potential control you have over everything.

I spent about 10 minutes making a patch on the Motas and putting together a sequencer in Architect and this recording was the result with me messing around with some of the filter settings on the Motas while recording.

Looking forward to exploring this more and optimizing the Architect patch and the patch on the Motas itself for this stuff in the future. This has come to be another thing I really love about the Motas - Because of the level of control you have over everything due to its powerful digital brain, you can build things in software for it to take it even further… for example, I’m working on a 303 sequencer which will model the accent behavior of the 303 for the Motas, what I’ve managed to achieve with this so far is reassuring that I should be able to get some really nice results here.

EDIT:

Hey everyone, I recently had the idea to try and model the 303’s behaviour in the Motas and thought I’d share a quick recording I made going through its classic sounds but moving on to things that only the Motas can do.

While it’s definitely not quite there, I think the potential is there to get pretty close to the original sound, I’ve got some ideas on how I could maybe improve it but will probably wait a bit before I give it another go.

EDIT:

Just wanted to give a heads up as I now know this’ll definitely be happening…

After bouncing ideas back and forth a bit, Jon’s figured out how to implement an idea I’ve had for a while but unsure how was best to approach it.

With the coming update, we’ll be able to set envelopes to be triggered in full or act as they do currently where they respond to gate (like envelopes normally do)

We’ll also be able to set the source of the gate / trigger to something other than note on/off with up to 8 other sources (CC / CV / internal envelopes / LFOs)

This sounds like a pretty simple update but the range of possibilities it adds are massive

I’d recently been working on trying to emulate the 303’s accent behaviour within the Motas by modifying various settings via CC, this wasn’t ideal as it’s hard to get the smooth curve shape that gives the accent that WOW sound but now with being able to trigger an envelope with a CC, I should be able to get waaay closer to this goal.

Another use (this one’s got me the most excited) is that I’ll now be able to use the Motas as a drum machine with up to 6 independent voices (3 VCO’s, noise, 2 resonant filters) other than the lack of individual outputs, I actually think this’ll turn the Motas into one of the best analog drum machines available due to the large number of options we have for shaping sounds.

There’s so many more possibilities than the two mentioned above, you also have things like being able to use the envelope as a tempo sync’d and very flexible LFO by triggering it rhythmically however you choose.

Anyway… I think this is going to be huge, I’ll be sure to get some demos of some of the things I make once the update’s out. In the mean time I’d be really curious to hear what others think of this update and any ideas for uses you may have?

EDIT:

Been so busy with things the last couple of weeks so I’ve not had as much a chance for this update as I’d have liked but I’ve started playing around with it now the last few days and it’s just so amazing to see what’s possible with this update, I’d initially thought that I’d be able to get 6 voices max out of this but I now realize that if you utilize AM you can get up to 9 voices out of the Motas I think…

Anyway… Here’s a couple of recordings I did with the new firmware:

In this first one, I wanted to show how much movement you can get to your drum utilizing all the modulation on there so I didn’t tweak the motas at all during recording apart from at the very end where I changed some gain settings.

https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector/motas-drums-in-new-firmware

in this second one, I just recorded myself tweaking a patch so it may drag a little… I mainly messed with stuff around towards the end of the signal chain so things like feedback / AM / filter stuff as I think this is again one thing that makes the Motas very special when it comes to drums as you can take quite basic drum sounds and completely warp them in lots of ways.

These patches are really basic compared to what’s possible here but I just wanted to show a bit of the potential for anyone who might have overlooked this update :slight_smile:

Made a quick thing with a drum patch I made this morning, drums and the plucky SQ patch are both from Motas-6’s

I’m really impressed with the Motas as a drum machine, there’s so many ways to approach it and again I’m still just barely scratching the surface of what’s possible here together with Architect.

Bit of a noisy recording for some reason, not sure why that was but it’s not from any of the synths but probably some weird gain staging I did on my mixer or maybe the BBD delay I used.

From over on MW " Today I have released v1.00 of a new “How To…” guide for Motas-6.
https://www.motas-synth.uk/news.html

I plan to expand this document over time adding more How To… tips and tricks.

If any users of Motas-6 have their own tips or tricks that they wouldn’t mind sharing then please contact me and I may add to a future revision!"

I think a lot of people are sleeping on this one, I think its sound is at least on par with some of the best classics and having that and all the sound design options just blows my mind every time I sit down with it. Here’s a little jam I threw together quick last night after playing around with a drum patch on one of my units.

Hey everyone, I’ve been quiet as I’ve been focused on learning / creating but I’ve come to love using my Motas for drums more than anything else in my studio and I thought I’d share something I put together today that uses only my two Motas-6 with all sounds other than the muffled mid-range bass sound coming from just one unit. There’s a little bit of effects in there too but I tried to keep it somewhat subtle.

I’ve got tons more to share soon which also heavily feature the Motas.

How’re you other Motas users getting on? Anyone taking advantage of some of these amazing last few firmware updates?

EDIT:

I’ve not done any demos for a while as I’ve been more focused on learning my gear and Architect but I thought I might as well share my tracks as they serve as demos in a way… My Motas-6’s get used in every track I make in some way or another whether it’s as Drums / Bass / Lead / Pads or for processing external audio.

https://soundcloud.com/clowncollage/sets/my-stuff

I do no further processing after making a stereo recording from my mixer and everything’s always done in one take so it should give a decent idea of the Motas-6’s raw sound in a mix. Each track has a description of what’s doing what too (so long as I was able to remember it)

EDIT:

A little bump as I’ve got some exciting news to share from conversation with the designer of the Motas-6

I don’t want to say too much in terms of exact details or when we can expect to see this but…

Anyone who’s looked at the Motas-6 has probably already realised that it’s pretty much unparalleled in terms of the sheer amount of modulation it has available to it, this is something that’s ended up affecting the way I make music profoundly but over time began to miss the ability for cross modulation such as LFO1 modulating LFO2 and LFO2 modulating LFO1, I thought this could be made possible if a mod matrix was introduced and so I suggested it to Jon and the other day he got back to me and said he’s already made a good bit of progress on this and from his description of it, it’ll be deep and handled well in terms of UI.

But with as always with Jon, he’s taken my suggestion and gone way beyond with it unlocking some pretty wild potential within an already feature packed synth… Anyone who’s currently in the market for a mono, I definitely recommend you hold off on buying anything until you see what’s to come :wink:

on another note, how’re you other users getting on? I’m constantly wondering how others are using theirs and what ways of using it that I’ve potentially not thought of yet… feels like I’ll spend a lifetime with this synth and still not fully explore all of its potential.

A lot of tracks’ve been deleted from my soundcloud (ran out of space) but they can all be found on my bandcamp here: https://clowncollage.bandcamp.com

Here’s a track I did recently which I think shows a nice side of the Motas:

And here’s one where I used the Motas for the drums and organ chord thing:

9 Likes

I’m really surprised that this synth doesn’t appear to have had much traction since its release a few years ago. Nice build quality, juicy-sounding, with regular firmware updates. It’s like no other mono synth I’ve ever tried. Okay, I haven’t had it for very long, but the specs are something else.

I just received it earlier today… I’m impressed. Sounds really, really nice. I love how each parameter can have its own LFO (and ENV!) - crazy. Really easy to route all that, too.

For a bit, I just held a note down and had a different LFO to each of the four waveforms of each oscillator (three oscs), all at different speeds, fed that back to its mixer input for a bit of grit/growl, then add a very slow moving LFO to one of two low pass filters, and another to the high pass…

I entertained myself for a good half hour with that, listening the little rhythms and pulses going on between all the elements. Fun times!

Will the honeymoon be shortlived? I guess we’ll see, but first impressions are - pah-pow and boom!

7 Likes

has anyone done a comparison between the motas and say, the erica syntrx? the UI’s are obviously very different but the motas seems capable of similar sounds

1 Like

I wish there was a sonic state or loopop video about this. I want to learn more!

2 Likes

There’s pretty much an endless number of ways to approach the thing, I think that’s a key thing to keep the honeymoon phase from never ending! my love for my two Motas-6’s is still as strong as ever even after owning them for almost 2 years now.

I can’t say a ton about the syntrx as I haven’t played one and I haven’t taken a serious look at one as Ill never be buying one but I think the Motas has many more features and a ton more modulation and to my ears, I prefer the sounds the Motas is capable of compared to the syntrx (which is very different to the synth it’s based on… I actually think the Motas does a better job of emulating its sound)

Yeah, it’s a shame no one has done an in depth review of a Motas, they’re such a small company and have largely gone unnoticed so it doesn’t surprise me. I wouldn’t mind doing a review but I just don’t and won’t have the time for a good while. I’ve wrote quite a lot about my thoughts on this synth though both here and over on GS, I’ve got a soundcloud with some sound demos too that you can find links to earlier in this thread.

3 Likes

Syntrx or a Synthi or a pin matrix synth is really in its own world imo, you just won’t come up with the same sort of stuff with out a pin matrix, but yeah compared to a Motas or any of the more modern super synths they have a quite limited set of traditional tools. For them, the analog mixer matrix though is the main star of the show and does things that digital mod matrixes don’t do, they saturate, feedback, as well as just having fully open audio routing for output. I would say its strengths are in building with AM modulations and Feedback within the modulation to make sort of living sounds.

That said I’ve never used a Motas, but I have a Syntrx and a Pro 2 (I suppose I consider this a similar class as the Motas) as well as having used a Synthi as well as some of the other super mono synths. I was actually surprised when I used the Synthi at how close they actually were in how the components interacted (especially key is the filter input/gain relationship), I would say the biggest difference is that Syntrx is really tuned to push gain/saturation/distortion really hard at any stage which if you don’t realize you will just end up really pushing it to distortion.

2 Likes

does MotasEdit have a patch librarian where you can save/backup patches and banks?

1 Like

MotasEdit can be used to save / load patches yes.

Yeah, I can’t really speak for other monos but I do think the Motas has alot in common with what you’ve just described in the syntrx / synthi just that modulation is handled a little differently and ultimately probably has quite a bit more of it which can lead to some kinds of sounds that’re uniquely its own… I think anyone who’s looking to buy a pricier mono like the syntrx and are looking at the Motas should just take their time reading through the manual, there’s so much to this synth that it’s kind of hard to covey it

1 Like

got one of these recently and its great so far, sounds modern yet vintage at the same time. love the UI and the unique take on modulations. one thing i haven’t been able to figure out (maybe i missed it in the manual) - is it possible to set the knobs to “jump” mode? when i turn the knobs now if the setting is at 0% and the knob is set at say 12 o’clock, i have to turn it back to 0% before i can change the value.

There is no jump mode, I just turn the knobs ll the way 1 way / other way and that resets it.

I have thought before that it’s be handy but also thought that there may be reasons due to some of the parameter ranges that it wouldn’t work but I may be wrong there.

Jon is so receptive to suggestions / feedback so I’d just get in touch and ask him about it.

Cool to hear you got one, it’s still my favourite synth today in that I’m still learning new ways to use it / new sounds to be had.

Not really had the chance to do any music over the last 6 months but I did manage to make a quick track where I used the Motas-6 as the only source of drums… all percussive sounds in this track come from 1 patch, the vocal patch is from my other Motas and all other sounds are Kodamo EFM

I’m yet to dive in deep with the new advanced mod matrix feature that Jon added but the little I did do blew my mind, crazy possibilities with that and I’ve yet to see anything else with similar depth to a mod matrix… it’s nice that it can all be programmed from the editor too.

4 Likes

There really aren’t many of these out in the wild, are there? It seems a shame.

I’ve been on the lookout for a used one in the UK for a few months and there’s been none anywhere as far as I can tell. I’ve seen a few come up on Reverb over the Atlantic though which surprised me, I thought if anything they’d be more rare overseas.

I have to be careful when spending on music stuff so as to not take too much of a hit if I end up selling things on but if I’d known how long it might take I might’ve just bought a new one to save myself all that time refreshing pages :slight_smile:

Maybe everyone likes theirs too much to sell it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one 2nd hand here in the UK and yeah… there’s really not many who own one which is really surprising to me as it’s innovative in a lot of ways and has a really great sound. My two Motas-6 are the last bits of gear I’d ever sell and I’d pretty much automatically buy anything Jon made in the future after how great an experience it’s been.

I guess you just need to be sure it’s for you before you take the plunge on a new one, do you enjoy spending time programming synths? I could happily just sit down 8 hours doing nothing other than programming patches on the thing due to each time I make a new patch, it’s different than anything else I’ve ever made on it or anything else. I think the people that might not gel with it are those who want immediate results… While it can be amazing as a performers synth, it definitely takes time to get familiar with it and understand how one would perform with it / set it up and I imagine for some people who just want to get on with jamming, it may end up not being for them.

Would love to try one,
It’s just that the price is high for a mono synth that you never tried and that you’re not even sure the interface could click for you.

Are there shops selling it in the EU even?

I’m not sure, you could try getting in touch with Motas directly as they may be able to work something out for you.

And yeah… It is a bit of a leap of faith, I scoured the Internet to hear it / see it in action as much as possible before takin a leap of faith, there wasn’t much content then but I also had the possibility of returning it if I didn’t gel with it.

I’ve got quite a lot of content ive made with it, if it helps at all, I really believe it’s a synth that’s worth chancing on if you’re someone who likes the process of patch creation, it isn’t at all tedious on the Motas imo as it’s been well designed to accommodate all its modulation potential in a way that flows but still… There’s a LOT of parameters with a lot of range to them so it still can take some time so diving in deep has to be something you tend to enjoy.

The Analog four is similar in how it gets rewarding as you dive in deep with it and for some, that doesn’t suit them and so they ditch it… The Motas has a leg up on the A4 in that the oscillators sound good as they are and the filters sound amazing where as the A4 takes work to make it sound good. The Motas also goes far beyond the A4 in depth, it can take a while for it to click with you in how to use its unique set of features in combination but once it does click, you realize the range of sounds possible are endless. Experimenting with osc sync and PM simultaneously between the oscillators is a rare opportunity and has been very rewarding for example

1 Like

Yes, thanks for your demos - they’ve been really helpful in pushing me towards it. Ideally I’d prefer to hear stuff from various sources to get a more general idea since there are obviously always differences in interfaces, patch taste etc. but there’s so little out there for the Motas and even some of those few seem to have audio issues so it does still feel a bit of a leap of faith as you say. Even just some raw single oscillator shapes at a few points across the keyboard would be useful.

I’m pretty confident I’ll get on with it as I’m really looking for things I can get lost in away from the computer so the current plan is a Motas and Pro 2. Unless one happens to turn up I imagine I’ll be getting the Pro 2 then being patient for the Motas while I learn that. I think they should be a pretty great combo both having external inputs and varied filters between them.

One thing I’ve been curious about is how drifty it is? At first I assumed things must be locked fown pretty hard since it does PM but the manual suggests it has a bit of drift to it. I’m guessing it might be hard to get a consistent attack on some PM sounds if that’s the case?