Monomachine won't boot

I have randomly had this issue for years. I think that if it’s a battery issue, it would become more and more frequent as the battery worsens. I personally don’t think that’s the main issue, but I could obviously be wrong!

1 Like

Hi - I have a Mk II and it ends in 57 instead of 56. Only the Mk II units can do the User Waves as I recall so if yours can do that, I think that’s what you have. I’m 99.9% sure the Mk I and the Mk II use the same PSU specs FWIW.

@sweet_trip You could be right about the battery, interesting. Another possibility is that something got a bit of jostling during disassembly/assembly which fixed the issue for now. Troubleshooting is kind of like wrestling with shadows sometimes IMHO.

And while I’m here, I hope all of you all at Elektronauts have a great 2022! (not on forums much these days)

Much to my horror I ran into the boot screen freeze this week … followed the instructions here, reseated the cables and cleaned connections with 70% iso and (touch wood) booting problem has now vanished! So relieved!!! Just go reeeeeeally slow on the knob removal and don’t try to think too much about the fact that you’re operating on a $4000 non-replaceable, unobtanium musical instrument :joy: … holy moly.

1 Like

Yes, prices nowadays are a joke.

What is it with the booting problem? Always been working fine since 2009 (mkii non drive+). Note I had replaced encoders and battery about 2 years ago. When earlier this year no boot. Opened up and replugged the I/O to motherboard. Worked for a few days and no boot again. I ended up putting it away for months. Last week, turned it on and it has been fine for the whole week! Its not loose contacts, not poor contacts and its not battery. The only thing I can think is temperature - regularly 25-30 degrees C in Australian summer and now 12-18 degrees in our winter. I personally suspect firmware booting is not tolerant enough to reliably boot under all conditions.

I had this issue recently and posted about it above. At first I thought it was the battery because the first 3 times the machine didn’t boot, taking the battery out and putting it back in solved the issue for a few hours up to about a day.

The forth time it happened and I took the battery out and put it back in, it didn’t work. Instead I carefully readjusted the pins on all connectors so they wouldn’t be loose, connected the ribbons back on, and it has been solid ever since.

1 Like

I’m glad that’s your experience

When mine didn’t boot I tried everytrhing and nothing fixed it.
I ended up selling it for 400 euro as parts and that was the end of my Elektron journey that included all their machines up to RYTM mk1. I didn’t buy anything Elektron since then. I just have my OT-1.
I loved the old stuff my MnM MKII and the MDUW along with the 3 black OT-1, A4, and RYTM, but when the ring broke I sold them all.
I looked many times to get an MnM but prices are a joke now. Looking at what the MnM board was I definitely won’t be paying today’s prices. Especially when looking inside my Juno60. :wink: