Monomachine vs Octatrack vs Digitone

€2000+ for a MnM on reverb with possible wobbly encoders etc is fairly spicy imo.
there’s one for like €1400ish on ebay at the mo based in Russia. Still fairly spicy. dunno what age it is n you won’t know what condition it’s actually in till its in your possession.

i was looking for one for a while recently but decided I’ll hold out to see what elektron release next instead.

2 Likes

I had 2 Monomachines and sold them both. They’re tons of fun, super deep and insane, and never ended up in an actual song. The sound is very unique and def (IMO) lends itself more to more electronic-based genres - techno/IDM/glitch/industrial. I love my Digitone a lot more and use it all the time. I’d say buy a DN and OTmki. If you get both used, it’ll cost about the same as a MM.

3 Likes

This is what I’m doing. Almost bought a MnM a few times and realized almost 2k isn’t worth it since it’s not an “I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE THIS” sound.

2 Likes

Yeah, same. Have had the MnM for about 18 months… It’s not that it’s uninspiring, I just struggle with getting out sounds I really like.

While I just sold my Digitone (had too many synths), I’d say this is good advice. In Finland the 2nd hand going rates are 500€ for DN and 600€ for OT mk1, probably not too far off in other places as well, so not even the same as a MnM.

2 Likes

I absolutely love the Monomachine… and used it in a bunch of tracks.
Here’s a couple:
This is one is almost 100% MnM. Maybe like 85% :wink:

This one is about 70%:

Very good abrasive, evolving liquid metallic sounds.
With that being said, I sold both of mine because I was greedy and wanted the cash.
I wish I still had at least one of them, because they’re a lot of fun.
I own the Digitone and it gets me there - pretty much.
It’s just a little more work on the Digitone to get those tones.

Edit: Just a note, for the most part I controlled the MnM with my OT due to the superior sequencer it has.

7 Likes

Yes that’s exactly what Sophie said in interviews. She wanted to invent totally new sounds. So for me I don’t want to emulate her music at all. It more that if this humble box was so creatively endless for the likes of Sophie, I’d imagine that it’s endlessly hackable for my own sounds too. If that makes sense?

3 Likes

Wow love the sound. And yeah it’s interesting that it does have a signature to it. It’s in the same harmonics and tonal universe as what I hear in Sophie tracks.

2 Likes

Man, you rule…
I own a MnM but I’m far from getting that sound out of it
Maybe it’s worth pointing out here that this machine is demanding

What are the other %'s of these tracks made with, may I ask?

1 Like

I don’t have any experience with the DN, but I do love the workflow of the MnM. If you have a OT next to it, they really translate well (Samey structure). I’ve tried all the Elektron synths except the DN, and I like the MnM best… I am also one of those weirdos who love virtual analogue, so there’s that. The sounds I get out of it are not at all like Sophie, but they really cut through the mix. Love it for that.
The simple difference between the DN and the MnM, is that the MnM has multiple types of synthesis and a great quirky filter/gain structure. It has FM, but it is not as in-depth as the DN I would imagine. For me the FM on the MnM is more for unknown territory when it comes to sound design (just turn knobs and see what happens). With the DN, it’s all math and science. If you have a OT and know it well, the MnM is a blast. Even by itself it’s fun.
I really hope Elektron releases a new version, so the prices come down and I can afford to upgrade to an MK2.

3 Likes

It takes experience and time to get what you want. I’d wait til someone who bought one gives up and rage sells the device.

lovely work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I will say… I’ve owned the MnM more times than I can remember, so I’ve had a lot of hours to learn how I like to use it.
There’s a so many cool tricks in that box.
Use the (random) LFOs to modulate those FM params on trig input. Magik happens.

Those tracks also feature Analog Rytm for sure. Maybe a bit of Digitone. Maybe Korg Minilogue XD for some of those background pads.
I switch up my gear all the time, so it’s tough to remember - for sure.

3 Likes

I think the big thing the MNM has over the DN is the ‘Build your own synthesis type’ you get with the variety of synth/fx machines and the way the tracks can interact with each other via sync etc.
The DN sounds fantastic, and the sequencer is better, but as long as the sequencer is a big part of your sound-design workflow, the MnM is a better experimental synthesis toolbox imo.

This isn’t a ‘look how crazy it gets’ example, but a ‘look how crazy it gets without getting in the way of a track’ example. Worth it to check the arps at 1.49

5 Likes

if your plan is to make a box to 'be your own’ then go Mnm.
imo DN is much better for more imminent results and more normal, hifi sounding sounds compare to Mnm.
…and DN has OB

in this video you can hear Mnm being very much Mnm but i like it even that way.
Music matters, not just sounds. but if you can connect music to Mnm nothing sounds as emotional as Mnm:

i’ll PM you few tracks of mine

3 Likes

The algodream video is a lot to unpack. I love it. But what is it

i guess but im not leksha; just in case you think i am

1 Like

I think it is worth noting the parameter slide feature found on MnM which turns up the parameter locking / sequencer as a sound design tools by a huge amount. A4 also has the parameter glide function, you can end up with absolutely insane sounds parameter gliding different parameters between sounds. If you crank up tempo and sample it you can use it for absolutely nuts percussive sound design.

1 Like

I have a monomachine. I like it more than digitone. The best elektron machines imo are from that era, just more flexible, but somewhat harder to use. If you have an Octatrack, any elektron synth will be fun.

I wish I could like it’s sound. :frowning:

I really wish more people felt the same way. Used to be that way. Now, the secret is out.