Monomachine "sampling upgrade"

transpose down to -42 in poly mode
use decay in filter and attack
use eq
sh101 styles

1 Like

Awesome share Orwell, can’t wait to try that 106 out especially!

(To everyone. Yes, if your slices are long, you may have to transpose a lot. If you go beyond 0.1 seconds per slice, it is almost impossible to transpose back to the original pitch. Shorter slices, less transposing. On my original, I did one second of sample divided by 32 slices or around 0.03 seconds per slice. )

Ooh, this is a very interesting thread. I’m glad I came back to the forum today!

I might have to try this using some breakbeat samples, and make some crude jungle :smiley:

1 Like

In therory, could this be done on the Octatrck ? Yes.
Sounds like a great way to robotisise vocals.

1 Like

Hi Joshua. Sure, the download still works at Elektron Users (for me anyway) but I will repost here.

Update - tried to post here but am having problems. Doesn’t seem to go through. Moderators - any suggestions?

Update 2 - I don’t know if you have an Elektron-Users login but that should do it. Log in and you can download. I can’t upload here for some reason.

Fantastic topic, reviving it, as this is necessary! Thanks for sharing this Veets!

1 Like

Dude this vid is so good I forgot what I was gonna say. Man I better have 1400 ready for monomachine UW MK III

1 Like

Thanks for bumping - need to give this a proper try soon!

Finally got around to trying this trick with an Amen break split into 16 files… Sounds super wonky and not at all like drum n bass, but it’s kinda fun. Very clicky though (even after applying zero crosses to every sample)
For making waveforms of equal length I bounced 1/16 note chunks in Ableton Live (at the proper BPM naturally).
(Will post samples eventually? Don’t hold yer breath lol)

1 Like

Would love to hear that.

It’s probably easier to get cleaner results with just a high hat but sometimes whacked out is the way to go.

For pitched material, you may be better able to avoid the clickies by downsampling your file to a multiple of the frequency. Ex: if your pitch is 200 hz, downsample to 20000 hz or something. Turns out this is an 80s sampler trick that was used back in the day as well.

1 Like

Hey everyone - I have a small favor to ask. YouTube wants content creators like myself to have 1000 followers in order to get a bit of ad revenue coming back my way. So if you haven’t subscribed to my channel yet, I would appreciate it :slight_smile: Feel free to get your friends, co-workers, grandparents, etc. to subscribe too! Thanks and hope to get some more videos out soon.

3 Likes

Suscribed :wink:

2 Likes

done!

2 Likes

Subbed :relieved:

2 Likes

I remember been helped by your clever videos. It’s done, if it can help, i’d be happy.
Cheers Veets

2 Likes

subbed, good luck mate!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Made a little bash script for quickly splitting audio files with ffmpeg. Applies zero-crossings to avoid those nasty clicks. Then all you need to do is drop the stuff in C6, you know the rest. Makes turning your MnM into a bizarro sampler a lot easier, and it’s pretty sick. I recommend using negative pitch tracking almost all the way down. And try reversed audio files!

3 Likes

I would be remiss if I didn’t post an example. I can probably get it to sound better but you get the idea. Reminiscent of Akai time-stretching.

4 Likes

Wow - this is really amazing! Manually snipping was the yawn part of this. How does this script work for Windows (please excuse my ignorance)? I always thought it would be fun to get like the Fairlight Sararr sound ported over.

1 Like