Monomachine MKI versus MKII front cover plate differences?

Hello folks - I couldn’t find anything on this. I was wondering whether there are any differences in the front covers of the MKI versus MKII. I have a MKI that I accidentally scratched up years ago, but have the chance to purchase a MKII cover. I have no interest in selling my Monomachine and would make sure to clarify that it IS in fact a MKI and not a MKII, but I can’t tell whether the covers are the same size. The differences in the manual suggest height differences between the two units, but nothing on the actual front cover plate. All I can tell is that there are differences between the two is “MKII” on the MKII cover (and the UW+ or whatever if it is on that version).

Does anyone have both and able to confirm if they’re basically the same otherwise?

They’re the same. The difference is in the text on the panel underneath the screen (mk II says mk II), and power is noted as ‘DC in’ which is wrong for mk I that requires an AC PSU.

Thanks! Do you… think it would be weird to have a cover on a MKI that says “MKII”? I suppose I’d always have the original, even if it’s in junk condition so if I sold it someone would have access to both.

And yeah - the writing on the back side with the DC v AC wouldn’t be changed, since I’m only talking about the front cover (top?).

That’s up to you I suppose ha! I would maybe put a sticker over it or something and write MK1 on it, but that’d just be for a laugh.

Here are some aftermarket panels to look at too if you want to customize. They do both say MK2 though.

Red panel for sale:

Black panel for sale (message the facebook account):
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=760190026106944&set=a.523636476428968

1 Like

Really depends on how badly your original faceplace is scratched. Mk2 face won’t look any different on casual first glance against the Mk1.

I like the idea of the black cover - but only a MKII kind of stinks since it’s not correct. Not sure what would irk me more - the MKII written on the label, or the stupid scratches I put into the faceplate. But would be nice to try out a black cover.

Thanks all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha. Well, that would be a case “maybe unnecessary honesty”: are you going to pretend it’s an MKII? Will people care?

The only time it would matter is if I was going to sell it - and I absolutely would never lie to someone about that (but I do think someone could buy a cover and try to sell a MKI as a MKII - which could be concerning, as I’ve had something sold to me that was claimed as one thing and wasn’t underneath).

I don’t really care for myself that it’s a MKI, but my OCD wouldn’t like seeing “MKII”. But it also doesn’t like seeing the scratches, lol.

Lemme know if yall see an all black panel for a sfx6 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I understand that. Sometimes we have to put our OCD aside, shake them by the shoulders, and say sternly, “dude, priorities!!!”, lol.

1 Like

EDIT: this post was talking about the MachineDrum, my mistake. it said:

There is actually a difference between MkI and MkII panels.
The MkII being able to run 64 steps patterns, there are 4 LEDs above the SCALE button, at the near left corner.
MkI models display only 3 LEDs.

I think you’re referring to the machinedrum. Both monomachines have the same number of steps.

Hopefully that’s correct.

And yes, I’m done with my OCD over it, haha.

This is correct. Every version of the MM has had 64 steps. I bet the MD MKII got its upgrade to match the MM.

My bad, guys.
I was indeed plugged on the MachineDrum.