Monomachine Love Thread

Wow wha? Grabbing manual :wrench:

I just wish the midi tracks had their own dedicated LFOsā€¦

1 Like

I just wish there were more LFOs. And envelopes. And a sample and hold andā€¦

1 Like

Ohā€¦ Sample and hold has been a thing Iā€™ve been thinking about lately. Isnā€™t it possible to make sample and hold with one LFO running in random and then one controlling random with a square? Been reading the Leploop manual a little, trying to mimic its behavior.

Iā€™m referencing this thread-

Although with an OT, they pretty much the same LFO layout?

You can apply a random LFO to anything in HOLD mode and it will sample & hold its value every time it is trigged.

3 Likes

Ok thank you

I miss the one I had. :sob:

1 Like

Theres more to sample and hold than random though - Iā€™d like to feed it other LFOs, envelopes, keyboard/sequencer/arp dataā€¦ audio evenā€¦ Pipe dream!

Yeah I see what you mean, any LFO shape can be used in HOLD mode (not just the random shape) but something (a S&H machine?) that could take audio as its input (internal or external) would be interesting.

What would a practical application of such S&H be? At anything below audio rate itā€™d be virtually indistinguishable from a random S&H LFO, and the Monomachineā€™s LFO doesnā€™t go far enough into audio rate for it to be very useful as a modulation source.

As for keyboard/seq/arp data, thereā€™s already keytracking which can be assigned to any parameter. I often overlook that actually, as I never really learned how to use it properly :stuck_out_tongue:

Now an envelope follower modulation source, that would be an interesting one. Do any Elektron machines have that feature? I seem to remember the Machinedrum has something like that?

1 Like

I love using this with a kick track, also triggering a THRU/FX track that has a slow attack, for pseudo-sidechaining :metal:

Thereā€™s all sorts you can do with s&h: below audio rate you could get repeatable (but off grid) stepped patterns based on what you are feeding it, rather than random, or sample a keyboard (or other modulation source) at given points of the sequence or another LFOs cycle. Get a modulatable slew after the S&H and youā€™re in source of uncertainty territory.

At audio rate you could bung it the audio from another track as the S+H source and process it with the current track for quasi SRR. We have that already but not track to track unless using that weird ring mod machine.

And yeah get those modulators into audio rate, add an envelope follower, five more full ADSRs and give me the lo-fi oberheim Xpander that Iā€™ve always wanted!

(If I could choose anything to add on the mnm it would probably just be p-lockable arp settings)

2 Likes

Hey, guys! :wave: This track made and performed on Elektron Monomachine sfx60+ mk2.
The final mix was specially processed in lofi style. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks! :pray:

33 Likes

Wow, amazing stuff as always!

Maybe Iā€™m missing the point, but most of that is there already, no?

• Sampling an LFO cycle: use any LFO shape with the HOLD mode; which will provide the repeatable stepped patterns
  • Sampling a note input: Not needed using S&H LFO, when you can assign keytracking to any parameter, I guess the caveat is that it has to be on the same track as the note input, but with track/trig routing thatā€™s probably not much of an issue?
2 Likes

I keep forgetting this!

2 Likes

nice! are those ā€œeasternā€ sounding strings done with the mono?

This.

Set your lfo to hold and add Lfo only triggers to your sequence. I do this all the time. :laughing:

4 Likes

Using key tracking on a track turns the portamento parameter into a glide of whatever destination! Works best with any effect machine since there wonā€™t be an osc pitch being controlled.

4 Likes

Awesome. The strings are amazing.

1 Like