Monomachine Love Thread

Thax…Yeah I figured it out by accident just now. Yeah, I was doing it wrong. Seems when in the arp mode, you just turn the level knob to change the length of the arp 1-16, and then, yes, like you said, hold down a trig key and press up and down for offset the pitch…Ok got it . Thanx so much

3 Likes

Two things I realised today…

1. Each copy/paste focus uses a different buffer. This means that to copy a pattern+kit between two snapshots, you can just copy the pattern, then go to the kit load menu, and copy the kit, then switch snapshot and paste both separately. I’d previously been copying kit, switching snapshot, pasting kit, saving snapshot, switching back to previous snapshot, copying pattern, switching snapshot, then pasting pattern. Glad I figured that out at the start of my session as I had a lot of patterns and kits to copy/paste!
  2. Switching to kits not made for the current pattern can result in amazing happy accidents.

I’ve got a live set coming up next weekend (a streamed one—will be on my youtube and some other platforms!), and was racking my brain as to which machine(s) I’d use… my second observation above has helped me to decide to use the monomachine :smiley:

8 Likes

I went back into monomachine song mode for the first time in over a decade last week to record these, all of which bar one part that I hand played on the last track. Forgot how quick it was, though still wish you could get it play only one step of a pattern.

I’m over 15 years with my sfx6 now I think… keeper!

12 Likes

Man, I gotta say, this MnM thing is one hell of a happy accident maker! Just started trying out the effects (2 reverbs in a row so far), which adds two more plockable, lfo-able one band eq + filter, delay. After an hour of screwing around this sid machine sounds like some sort of alien child singing gibberish. What a wacky instrument. WOW

7 Likes

Wow, your stuff is really great! Like Bowies weird stuff but even weirder, or something :smiley:

Yeah, I’ve found some of the most unique stuff I’ve made with it has been using multiple layers of effects, sometimes only using one synth engine, or even none at all and just using it as a sequenced effects processor.

3 Likes

This thing is bonkers. I had no idea what I was getting into.

3 Likes

Haha! Took the words right out of my brain!

Pretty awesome @tIB!

I’ve had the monomachine for about 3 years now and it’s still my favorite. Recently I’ve fallen in love with the fx machines (reverb, flanger, chorus) They are the bread and butter of the mnm and I had been sleeping on using them for too long.

To celebrate, I put together a live set in the past couple of weeks. AR->MnM. I present it as evidence for the next time someone asks if the fx machines are any good

8 Likes

Thanks folks, there are worse things to be compared to!

Your Instagram is one of my favorites, even though it tortures me with desire for a 4th MM go around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow! Thank you. I have been concentrating on more experimental use of the MnM & OT on there as of late… I’m just glad I haven’t lost too many of the followers I had before I started… HA!

1 Like

What is your favorite thing that the Monomachine does that most other synths don’t?

For me I think it is the ability for a sequencer track to not only play its synth, but to also be used to trigger another track’s synth all the while that track is triggering it’s self.

2 Likes

3 LFOs per track, assignable to delay time = happiness

(pls bring this to DN @Elektron)

3 Likes

The combination of neighbor routing and an individual EQ+Delay+BaseWidth Filter per track, all getting modulated by 3 LFOs per track.

Very modular in its wildness, even with very subtle modulation. Truly unique as a standalone synth or FX processor.

6 Likes

Yeah I’m really enjoying the filter/gainstaging way of working. The one band eq that amplifies just one frequency, pushed into the strangest delay. Yeah, the multiple ways of filtering and EQing, with added LFOs is the dogs nads.

1 Like

Do it!

How do you do that ?

1 Like

Use TRIG POS in the trig track menu for the kit (manual, page 40).

2 Likes

Cool thanx

I used that multi trig technique in this, “snare” sound adds trigs the saw melody when it’s active. Kick Drum opens the amp for the reverb track. Pads and Saw routed to the reverb only so they kinda phase in and out.

My other think I find myself liking now is opening the kit edit live and routing a track to a reverb or effects channel for FX throws. I also do that in this little jam

15 Likes