Monomachine Love Thread

i haven’t seen enough videos having fun with it like your one. made me feel sad i’m missing out.

1 Like
1 Like

@waftlord
Here is one of the presets I made with a bit of joystick, mostly changing the timbre of the vocal synth.

The track in the other video (The Killing Floor) was released on a compilation and mastered professionally, but alas I have not got a copy or I’d send it. I don’t even have the original video anymore.

I would not trade a TB but I’d maybe trade something else?

@obscurerobot
The one I know of came to my attention from a former Elektron employee, I’ll see if I still have the email when I get the time, might have some more details, it was some years back.

2 Likes

Tinez lists, in the first minute of the video:

• Jean-Michel Jarre
  • “An engineer who made his”
  • Someone involved in the creation of the Octatrack

Sounds like two Elektron insiders made Mk2 SFX-6s and JMJ got one too?

1 Like

only device i’d remotely consider for an sfx60 swap, but thanks for honesty and links to release.

Seems then, outside of contacting elektron, I need someone to open up an sfx6 and trace the joystick path to main board. I’m still not clear if the built in stick is 14bit resolution or just maps to the two cc over 128 values.

I assume you’ve already seen SFX-6 joystick replacement

1 Like

nope but there’s the part, thank you.

trying to use AGI proactively to brainstorm designs (and failing);

2 Likes

I’ve considered this trade as well, for an SFX60+, but second guessed it.

A clean TB may be tempting; but I hear TB’s that have been repaired can permanently change their sound.

Without any idea how to quickly program a classic TB bassline, a trade may not be a good idea.

Just happened upon this video and it’s just ridiculous… I can’t believe this is all from one device …

15 Likes

yeah, this guy (borrowed one):

my favorite part about the SFX6 joystick was you could warp the track into a crazy place, and then change tracks to make it hold that position. then you could warp the next track with the joystick, etc…

alternative approach: buy a miniKorg 700FS. the joystick works great with the SFX60 :+1:

3 Likes

Jesus, I would love to hear some tips n tricks from that user.

MnM seems like a narrower sweet spot of sound design, but what a sweet spot!

Such potential to learn from still.

Happens to me as well. Gets really glitchy if your arrangement is complex. Values jump all over the place when trying to change values.

ugh! any work arounds? I was thinking about taking it in to get serviced but im not sure that would change anything, might just be a bug

I mean the alternative is backing up safely, trying to reload from the backup to verify success, then wiping the MnM, testing the jump, and then reloading?

1 Like

all sound is essentially a sin wave, so my advice would be to open up a sin machine turn rel to 127 and use it in every way possible without a sequencer for a couple sessions to learn every parameter inside and out (except filter envelope). Then use with a arp no sequencer, in arp menu set to key then hold FUNC then press some trigs, release FUNC before keys, they’ll keep playing, You can add more notes too in the same fashion. Play around in that for a couple sessions. Then use learn the sequencer without parameters locks. I think parameters locks tend to confuse things when experimenting, I use them as little as possible and mostly as utility or in conjunction with slides. Then learn filter tracking, I never turn off unless except on thru/reverb/dynamix for mixing purposes or situations where you need to turn off hpf or lpf.

4 Likes

Welcome and thank you! Your love of the MnM is inspiring and refreshing :slight_smile:

Do you have a Bandcamp or some other site to follow beyond Youtube?

no, i don’t really use the internet much right now. i record live an hour or two a day though. I just throw sounds everywhere for a bit and some stuff turns into songs it’s kind of like meditation to me. Here’s a section from yesterday that’s kinda cohesive… two patterns with mostly out of time lfos, so that even though its 32 steps it always sounds different a bit and second part is what I’m talking about with using the synth with no sequencer, its just a digi with infinite release and playing around with LFO’s not the best example but my other stuff isn’t with me right now.

https://icedrive.net/s/v8QAXW5RYkD25Z219hANz9kA8BQC

8 Likes

That’s healthiest considering gestures at the world, I prefer physical spaces though this is a nicer one so far as virtual goes.

Thank you for providing your approach and flow! It’s so easy to get lost in p-locking and details.

2 Likes

so looks like the joystick attached to the main board with a 4 way seat connector (4 long black wires with white connector in pics from brutal reverb post).
anyone know the precise socket connector? looks like quite a deep pitch but most recent ones i see don’t have the 3 grooves…

3 Likes

been in touchosc land. great fun.

but the quest for joystick mod is real.
Screenshot 2022-09-15 at 22.39.44

2 Likes