Monomachine 'Function' Button Broken off of PCB

I discovered the MNM Function button was stuck on the ‘on’ position, so I couldn’t operate the MNM correctly, as it affects everything… I opened up the Faceplate, and see the ‘Function’ Buttons loose and separated from the PCB base; there is a tiny gold ball for contact/switch I believe. I just sent a message/request to Elektron for a replacement button, waiting for a reply. Looking for HELP on how to get this fixed if anyone has any input. Thanks!

How does the other side of the PCB look like? Is there good access to it?

You or someone with some soldering experiance would have to desolder the pins of the Button from the other side, fit the new Button in and solder it again.

1 Like

thanks for the comment. I did not unscrew to see the other side of the PCB, I am not that familiar or confident with soldering myself, I used to make mic cords etc but nothing like this.

1 Like

Looks like the same type of buttons as on the Octatrack. One of the switches on my OT broke in the same place last year. Elektron sent me a replacement which was soldered in place by a local technician in a few minutes. Most of the work is in cleanly desoldering the broken switch…

3 Likes

Thanks, I decided to ship the unit to Elektron in CA, so at least I know they can do the job correctly, rather than me messing with it. I have no idea how the Function button got cracked, its been stored safely for almost 2 years.

4 Likes

Smart move. If you don’t have someone you can trust to do the work and you aren’t opposed to waiting to get it back, this was the best thing you could do. The machine is very expensive to purchase right now and if you ever decide to sell it and have to disclose that there was a repair, much better to be able to say that Elektron’s service department did the repair and be able to show the receipt as proof. For a button, cost will probably be minimal, it’s only the turn around time that will be high.

I do agree it was likely a simple repair, but monomachine is probably a good candidate for “let Elektron handle it”, maybe it was already broken when you put it away, who knows really. Having discovered it before greater damage was done is the real positive thing to come from the experience.

2 Likes

Excellent points. Elektron quoted $50 per hr, plus the part $4. Plus shipping to and from. My MNM is in Mint condition otherwise, no signs of use, I see they are going for $3k and up so $100 is worth it.

2 Likes

Well there is a bit of a stale market as you may understand that just because a seller asks 3k doesn’t mean there’s anyone willing to buy it for 3k. However, if the market dictates that the value is such, and no one is budging from there, while sales may not happen regularly then that should still be considered the value of the machine. It’s just to say I wouldn’t expect to put it up for sale at that price and have it gone the first day. Regardless, I think you took this in the best direction possible and as you found out by doing it, removing the face plate is not much of a chore. Still, I might only put on the corner screws and send the encoder knobs and additional screws in a zip lock bag along with the machine to save them time if their time is worth $50 an hour though :grimacing:

2 Likes

Right, not expecting to get $3k, and Im not planning on selling, it is a unique machine and Im glad to have one along with Machinedrum and others. I was just surprised to see many sellers asking that much on Reverb. I hope the guys at Elektron dont just unscrew one of the 6 screws every hour, lol.
All kidding aside, I put all the screws and knobs back, so they will see it was in perfect condition when they received it.
They were very helpful and professional in the email response I received from them yesterday…

1 Like

Well, since it’s long out of warranty I don’t think it would void your right to repair even if you sent it to them in pieces, but I’m sure it’s more secure as you’ve done it so hopefully it doesn’t take a half hour to open…

Yes, someone popular used the monomachine and created a bubble market would be the easiest explanation. All of a sudden everyone decided they were worth more because of it. But Elektron in CA seems to have good people working there and the quality of the customer service and the repair work should not be an issue, if anything only the duration of time before they can get to the repair and possibly communication about the status.

If you set your expectations accordingly, I’m sure it will be fine and if it takes them long enough, they might feel bad and waive part of the cost, who knows, they’ve been known to do things like that.

1 Like

Update on MNM repair: Shipped it Saturday USPS from the Midwest here, it arrived Monday in California to Elektron repair, they contacted me today that its fixed and being shipped today! (ok it was just the Function button), but still amazing turnaround, cost under $100, well worth it, now hopefully it gets here safe.

3 Likes

that’s incredible, frankly. under 100 including shipping both directions?

this thread should get stickied lol, congrats!

1 Like

thanks. Yes, looks like the bench time for repair was @ $50. Very fair, I paid for shipping to, $20. Hard to believe it was sent as USPS Ground advantage, got there faster than Priority and $15 cheaper…glad I checked.

3 Likes

My experience with first class vs priority mail is similar, very hit or miss as to which will arrive sooner. That’s awesome, for all the critics of elektron’s customer service and repair center this one should really show you that if they can get you in the door and out again quickly, they’ll do it and won’t overcharge you. I really think that it changes everything when there’s no actual troubleshooting required, just someone qualified to change out the parts. Glad this ended well for you, make sure you test it thoroughly when you receive it but this is truly the best case scenario.

1 Like

agree, glad it wasn’t a major major, just a simple fix.

1 Like

MNM Received back safe and sound and button is fixed. Now I need to learn it again.

2 Likes