Monomachine for Techno Heads

Hello Guys,
1 year ago i thought to start the Elektron’s path, so i got mine MNM and MD at their beautiness.
Now i’m kind of happy with them, but somehow i’m not able to get out ‘‘that’’ techno sounds from these box, especially from Monomachine.
I would like to post here some track in order to show you which techno should come out from it:

The only thing i think/guess is that Antigone has interactive it with Ableton, but i’m sure that you can hear that MNM lush/weird sounds as i did.
So guys, if you know some way to get the MNM sounds like the tracks above, it would be highly apprecciated

:heart:

I’m pretty sure none of these tracks were made using only a Machinedrum and a Monomachine. What makes you think they are?

It’s possible that these tracks were made using a fuckload of gear and recorded in a single setting using a lot of knob tweaking, but it’s much more likely that a DAW was very heavily involved to get all those subtle shifts and variations in timbre.

I’m also hearing a lot or lush reverb, delay, and other creative effects being used as part of the sound design.

IMO a lot of samples have been used in the tracks and they have been processed heavily … and as @t says, loads of FX too.

I think that you can achieve the groove of those tracks easily, but you have to find your own sets of sounds. An OT could help with the samples and mangling sampled sounds, though.

Thank you guys for yours fast replies.
Yes, its sure that isn’t only MNM, but its part of the whole tracks.
I think that ableton is going into it thru MNM’s inputs and processing it directly from MNM as sound module.
For instance, if you take the third track, that bassline/texture i think was made with Bbox machine, high filtered with lfo Interlace for creating glittery rain-style effects.
I think also that there is lots of FM synthesis used if i heard as well…

get an OT and sth like a lexicon mxp500 (used for about 100-120€) or similar.
a mixer helps routing the outputs to efx channels.
sth. small like macki 1202 (the pro, 2 or 3 are about 150€) should do the trick.

Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what this means. Can you try to clarify?

Yes, i think that something like samples or VSTs are going into MNM for being processed…sorry for my English :slight_smile:

That seems unlikely. Why do you think that?

Don’t get me wrong, the Monomachine is a really cool box, but I don’t see why you would use it to process audio coming from a DAW instead of using tools inside your DAW that can do the same thing better and more convenient.

I guess for effecting samples or vst thru FX machines such as reverb, chorus etc…and obviously giving them that MNM’s behavior. Probably i’m wrong, but it seems the way he works with.

Could you tell us why do you assume that the Monomachine is used in the production of these tracks?

Where do you get that impression from? An interview? A video? Can you show us the URL?

Regardless, if you’re looking for a DAW to produce this style of music, I’d recommend taking a look at Bitwig. The way you can route effects and use modulation is extremely suitable for these kind of evolving techno soundscapes.

Yes man, check this below:

Can you hear it?

I hear nothing that you could only do with a Monomachine. Sorry, but I don’t think I understand the point you’re trying to make, or what you’re trying to figure out. :slight_smile:

What I’m hearing in that video snippet is much less subtle, much more “in your face” and sonically rather different from the more subtle work you posted above as your initial examples.

You could indeed create the kind of grooves you hear in the video snippet with only a Machinedrum and a Monomachine.

Yeah I did some searching too and couldn’t find any evidence or videos of this Antigone guy working Elektron gear.

Np Man :slight_smile: i’m trying to understand how to get out those sounds from monomachine, nothing else.
Last try, i hope you will hear it because monomachine is there with some vst coming in thru inputs:

Here’s an interview in French where is written that he is using his MNM for their live set:

Au final, chacun est en charge de ses machines perso ? Qui se sert de quelles machines ?

Antigone:On a tous une machine attitrée car on a tous une place bien précise dans le live. Par exemple moi, avec la Monomachine de Elektron, je vais surtout m’occuper de tous les petits sons un peu spatiaux, très “bleepy”.

1 Like

If you say so. But even if that’s the case, then you still can’t make those sounds on the Monomachine alone.

Par exemple moi, avec la Monomachine de Elektron, je vais surtout m’occuper de tous les petits sons un peu spatiaux, très “bleepy”.

My French isn’t great, but he seems to say that he uses the Monomachine on stage because it’s good for “spatial bleepy” sounds. That doesn’t mean they’re getting full tracks out of it.

Again, the Monomachine is great for sound design and an excellent synth as a starting point for the kind of tracks you’ve posted, but you’re going to want to add a lot of layers and processing to get to these full tracks.

Yeah, I hope to get that workflow/sounds/groove asap in order to understand what monomachine can does and what can’t

My two cents: Try to understand what is so special about the music you presented here. Try to understand the rhythm, the way he uses melodic elements and how the sounds are working together. The use of FX is also very important and was mentioned before. These questions are more helpful to understand the tracks rather then beeing focussed on a certain piece of gear. Even if the MMN and MD were used: (almost) any other hard- or software could lead to the same result.

6 Likes

The man behind the Machines does the Music, Not the Machines.

1 Like