Monomachine, External FX and the future of #CabCurio

Working with the output buses and input ditos for incorporating external effects kinda in-the-box is brilliant. And the combo of Infinite Jets and Monomachine brings quirky, organic and unpredictable front stage!

Oh. And I’m thinking about the development of the Cabinet of Curiosities

I am considering alterations to the video format and release schedule in 2018. I want to do this without stepping too far off from my chosen path; Video Tutorials Designed for learning. No demos, reviews or general valuing of gear. Focus on workflow and captivating narratives rather than the gear itself.

Elektronauts are certainly viewers with eyes on several other creators.

1. What are they doing that I could learn from?
2. What am I doing that you would not want me to change or give up?

Cheers! // Carl-Mikael

7 Likes

That’s the reason I watch your videos.

Plenty of tutorial videos around, but I like something more nuanced

1 Like

Very well made videos - any criticism is purely my own opinion and I am not every viewer. Thanks for doing them.

The first minute of the video I could really do without.

A little more subtle, while I appreciate the focus on sound vs. talking (after the first minute ;]), I think I could actually stand a little more narration - I often put these things on in another tab, and so if I’m not actively watching, I’m just hearing the blips and bloops w/out any context. I don’t think you’d kill the vibe if you briefly talked about some of the text you put on screen - you’ve mixed it well enough that it doesn’t detract from the sound of the machine.

I love the way you do the closeup overlays of the screens - especially on the monomachine.

2 Likes

Thanks for relevant feedback @NUoldNu and @jeffe!

1 Like

Invite guests. Share ideas and experiences with someone else in your studio.

3 Likes

Excellent. Thanks!

1 Like

Personal thinking not only applicable to you. I’m wondering if youtube marketing, policy, analysis etc… doesn’t force the channel owner to generate some work who fit this results… to be able to have a channel who responds to youtube rules and recommendations.

Then, problem is if it’s works generally, I’m not sure it’s works for every subject or goals people can have. I know youtube is the most popular. But it’s like Facebook in a way when you send events you don’t reach what you be able to reach few years back. Because it’s polluted by the mass number of people. (+ their new algorithm to generate money with adverts always evolving and always making things worst)

Then short video, if it’s convenient for both youtube and the youtuber in some ways. it’s difficult to really give to people a real summary split into a logical progression (by step and themes)
Maybe here you more familiar to know what’s work and not because you’re a real life teacher ! (which I want to be a some point but I’m not for now so no experience here)

But still that’s how I like to learn myself.
And also why I like all these dedicated website called LMS (Learning management system) based on Wordpress like Lynda, Team Treehouse etc… Because you enroll, there playlist remembering what’s watched and whatnot, certification at the end, Courses are separated by polls, challenge to see if a learner as in memory the main things seen just before the 3 or 5 movies Seen before.

Also interactions on youtube are not close to what you can do with dedicated solution as well as protected contents (with some limits) with something like Vimeo or Flash Media Server. (And I think at some point youtube comments is really a negative shit… but I understand it by the matter of how youtube was set, the main public use of it, and people who felt on something maybe not appropriate for them and all the others options of deviant people etc…)

Dedicated solution come at a cost also. But my point was to talked about communication channels and learning.

That said, you really have YOUR STYLE and no-one is close to that. (like Cuckoo can be very the friend to everyone I hope he will not take it badly while reading here and you just differently maybe more the cool professor with obvious knowledge) Cabinet of Curiosities have his own atmosphere, I really liked when you say the name of this project… fact is a long name is also interesting and funny because it’s against the code of advertisement. (which tell you a small entity is better for memorize etc… anyway… my degree in communication for business talking here) i understand everything you said clearly even as a non English people.

Also it’s pleased because I feel it’s in some way talked to more experienced user (and I don’t know if it’s something you after I’m not sure but I feel it’s the atmosphere) BUT fact is I really like it. (in fact I’m a patreon of you and cuckoo, by the past I asked to people to support you and him and i Reiterate here, because the WEB needs you…

What I have said earlier is a personal reflection and sharing it with you. Maybe you prefer a PM on this one I don’t know. I’m not saying don’t make things on YouTube, I just say : Maybe it’s forced people to go on a certain path and this path discards them from other ways to do more appropriate content or organized content. (reflection not affirmation)

I hope you will find this interesting.

I think you absolutely right on this : Video Tutorials Designed for learning. No demos, reviews or general valuing of gear. Focus on workflow and captivating narratives rather than the gear itself. like in the perfect center of your target, and I don’t see CabCurio differently.

Also one other thing to notice and I think it reach the Andreas Roman point, I really like the thing you make with BoBeats respectively on your own channels, I thought it was very cool… (like his talking series when he communicate with people online for hours…) We see you outside of your personal room and we all feel alive and take a good breath of humanity. I do think it was very positive… like fresh air.

We, as Home-Muscian or Scientists are too locked up, isolated, solo project and I encourage everyone to get out of their environment! it fits my thinking and I think it’s really essential to share. I think it’s vital to be able to conserve that energy to create.

2 Likes

Thanks you very much for the elaborate feedback, @William_WiLD!

Much. Much Appreciated.

1 Like

My vote is on embracing the change. You have a very distinctive style with the Cabinet, your channel has personality and I’m confident that whatever you have in store for us viewers will be interesting and inspiring, especially since I already feel like 2017 brought your channel to the next level, your latest videos are really nice looking and have a great narrative/tone, at least to my taste. I’m actually excited to see what that change will be :wink:

For this particular video, I agree with jeffe, I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts while you are exploring the sounds, what you are trying to achieve when turning knobs. Not everything of course, but just a hint here and there of where you’re trying to go with the sound would add to the narrative IMO. That’s really all the advice I could give you and it’s to be taken with a grain of salt, I’m just a viewer and not a video maker :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Valuable none the less. Cheers!

2 Likes

I really like your videos and appreciate all the work you put into them. I think you’ve made quite a lot now and it must be quite difficult to come up with some new ideas. The videos I’d like to see would be more about the creative process itself. How to think about composition - for example how to represent emotions with music. Stuff like that. I’m also interested in modular and would love to see some explanation about how your patches come about. And then if you think you have made enough videos and don’t need to make more, you could catalogue them and have them as a referencable resource. I mean I still check some of your old videos such as external Eurorack oscillator with the Arturia microbrute.

1 Like

I’d really like to see this too