Monomachine Ableton Live/M4L Patch

Hi all, I happened to come across this from the old Elektron-Users forum and 1) thought it might be useful to others, and 2) am hoping there might be some M4L wizards here who can understand a flaw with it.

http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=540&Itemid=99999999

Firstly, this works very well for controlling the parameters of the Mono in Ableton Live. Simply assign a channel (using the External Instrument or within the midi track) and you can easily tweak and automate all of the parameters in Live-particularly cool with clips, as it basically gives you something like Scenes for additional control.

Secondly, the problem: for whatever reason, this template blocks the transmission of notes, meaning that you would need to create a separate track for notes if you wanted to sequence the MNM from Live (of course, you can always use the Mono’s sequencer). I’ve opened up the patch but am very much a noob when it comes to making things in M4L, and couldn’t make heads or tales of why notes are not sent. Anyone smarter than I willing to look at this patch and see what the deal is?

Im working on an update to that patch, it seems to have a few errors. In the meantime you can put it in a midi rack with another empty slot just to pass midi.

2 Likes

I’ve updated this M4L device to correct a few errors.
It now receives CCs from the Mono, and sends sysex to change machines (sysex only works with 32bit Live, OSX)

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/3464/monomachine-simple-ccs-1-0

4 Likes

Baller! You rock, man. I’ll give this a go tonight.

what is needed to make this 64bit compatible? :slight_smile:

The device will send everything via Live but machine type which is sysex only, so it mostly works on all platforms

The device would need the lh_midi objects replaced with imp.midi objects https://www.theimpersonalstereo.com/max-externals/

I can’t vouch for their stability or reliablilty though. All the sysex objects for Live are hacky to some degree. Or you could change the device to send over the network with udp objects to a max patch that sends sysex. I have a bridge patch linked on maxforlive.com .
The other opton is to turn the device into a max patch or app and use standard max midi or sysex objects. Depends how much you need ableton with its lame midi spec…

thx for input. im a novice when it comes to configuring max but imagined a simple replacement of a object to make it 64bit compatible. but then again, if it were that simple someone probably would have done it already.
im curious about m4l and reaktor ensembles and blocks for the elektron instruments but it seems like my curiosity is misplaced or many years to late (even though blocks is quite new)

For your information, max for live can now send and receive sysex in Live 10.
I’ll try to work on it when I can !

3 Likes

Hi!
Has anyone fixed the machine changing pb from the device for Windows OS? Chapelierfou?

2 Likes

I’m on OS X but I could have a look.

So, I had a very quick look and made an edit. It “might” work, but I didn’t have the chance to test on my MnM. Too lazy to set it up.
Worth a try. Monomachine Simple CCs 1.01 Chapelier Fou Edit.amxd (260.5 KB)

1 Like

Great! I will and give a feedback.
Thank you.

Hey I’ve just been testing this and it seems to work! I’m on Windows 10.

1 Like

Can someone please make a simple M4L device just for the MnM’s clock? (Messing with the BPM sounds great with short delay times)

I even have the SysEx string right here:
F0 00 20 3C 03 61 VAL VAL F7

I tried making this in Logic but I can’t figure out a way to properly remote control the fader. (It has a weird range of 721 to 7200, not sure how to convert a 0-127 CC signal to map onto that—likely impossible)

For more details re: trying and failing to do this in Logic see this thread

I don’t own a MnM anymore but could give it a try. Could you be more Specific ?

Basically all I’d like is a M4L device with one 14-bit fader that sends out the above string with that range. I tested it out: 721 = 30.0 BPM, 7200 = 300 BPM

(Then I can automate it with an LFO or assign a MIDI controller, etc.)

In the Sysex message, is the VAL value to be replaced by the tempo value in the 721-7200 range ? So, twice in a row in the message ?

It’s a two-byte value (hence VAL VAL).
Here are the minimum and maximum messages in hexadecimal:

Min:
F0 00 20 3C 03 61 05 51 F7

Max:
F0 00 20 3C 03 61 38 20 F7

1 Like

Of course, stupid me !