Monitors - Another opinion

Hi all,

I have a pair of Neumann KH310A which I use as my main monitors, they are set up so I can sit on my sofa and make music there. I have a requirement for some monitors on my desk, for stuff like selecting samples, a second opinion on a mix, etc etc.

I’m wondering what to get for another opinion on sound? If money were no object I’d likely get the HEDD Type 20 or something but realistically I don’t think I can justify having 2 sets of very expensive 3 way monitors in one room.

So I’m thinking of a 2 way design. I could grudgingly go up to maximum say £2K if I thought it was worth doing.

Really just looking for ideas / opinions on this. I don’t really know what direction to go. Open to interesting options, and there’s the age old consideration of how low I need them to go. Obviously the lower the better but I don’t need 30hz as I already have the Neumanns.

FYI I use Sonarworks and they are fed by RME gear in a reasonably well treated room.

From my humble experience, Genelec 8030. The closest thing to an industry-standard, which means that lots of other professionals use them and maybe some of them know what they are doing and also that they hold their re-sale value if you decide to sell them. I find that they are the best monitors for telling me what is wrong with what I’m doing fast.

2 Likes

Seems like a sensible option, thanks.

A more affordable option could be the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro or iLoud MTM monitors? I’ve got the Micros and they are pretty good for their size and price point.

Other options might be the KRK Rokit G4 series or the JBL 306P/308P MkII.

Higher up in price, what about Focal Shape 65?

Your Neumanns‘ are phenomenal speakers and given the purposes you‘re eying for a second set of speakers, I would definitely NOT get a high-end set of speakers, but rather something more simple for two reasons: 1. for sample selection you don‘t NEED Barefoot speakers (or similar ;)). 2. you want something that‘s different enough so that you can check how your mixes translate. One could almost say, the cheaper the better here, but then judging from your existing setup, you‘d probably hate a less pristine sound quality when working at your desk :slight_smile:

I‘d suggest something cheap and cheerful like the JBLs 306s or Kali Audio LP-6s. If you wanna go three-way, the Kali Audio in8 are fantastic value for money. In general, I can‘t recommend Kali Audio enough for what you‘re getting at their price points (no affiliation).

Genelecs are great as well, pricer though and a little more „civilised“ sounding I find.

1 Like

Indeed if I were you I would go for something very different an smaller to have a very different reference.

Yes I agree on the smaller monitor idea. 5 inch woofers always annoy me because they cutoff so high, but I guess that’s ok for this.

I like the idea of the Genelec 8030C as they’re so popular so sort of a reference point. I do wonder though how “different” they are from the Neumann. I had considered something cheaper / more fun but I think that would just massively annoy me when trying to make any decisions if they weren’t very accurate/ clear.

I used to have some Adam A5X, found them tons of fun to listen to music, sounded lovely but not exactly honest!

Genelecs are probably in the lead but curious about the upcoming HEDD Type 05 - AMT tweeter and they can work as a sealed design and go much lower than other 5 inch models. Might offer something quite different but then they aren’t exactly “a standard”, which I have to admit, having a solid reference point is massively appealing to me.

First world problems right?

I guess I’d think about what it is that the existing speakers are not giving you and go from there, as others have said probably go for a less high end option to use as a A/B for comparison.

Hi there, I´ve got a similar situation.
Couch/Desk.
I tried different monitors/speakers in the last year.
Originally I planned to get speakers that work for both
listening positions.
About 2 months ago I gave the new APS Klasik 2020s a try.
They don´t work for the couch, but I liked them so much for
nearfield that I kept them.
they are not too big, but quite deep.
thats no problem in my room, I have them away from the wall.
great nearfields for a good price.
maybe not different enough for your neumanns,
but I recommend the Klasiks anyway.
Genelecs, Adams are really standard choices for a reason.
People like them. I like them too.
One thing I have learned is that no one can help you finding
the right monitor. And it´s really surprising how different
speakers sound in a room.
It´s annoying and sometimes expensive to try different
speakers at home but at the end you can read as much tips and reviews as you want, you have to find things out yourself.
The Klasiks are not the “best” sounding speakers I tried btw.
But they work for me !

1 Like

Sounds like you kinda really want the HEDD… :slight_smile:

…first…congrats to some of the best mid field monitoring option out there…

for nearfield u should defenitly go for a two way system…
besides the fact, that there is no 3 way concept in nearfields, at least that i’m aware of, anyways…

if u wanna stay consitent and money is no issue, why not stick with neumann and add a pair of kh120…?

bought them on day one and never looked back ever since…

but i’d say, u got high profile monitoring more than covered…
no need to aim for hi price range, since the rest of the planet is listening to music via earbuds…or bluetooth speakers…keep this in mind…
no matter what ur hi profile monitoring is telling u, don’t skip that shit in endcontrol…
no final check is done without a decent car hifi test and also bluetooth stuff…

and solid middle price segment might do better/closer job, though…

if i had to pick another nearfield system these days, i’d defenitly give dynaudio a try…
not too pricy but truuly solid in translation…

surprised to hear u consodering genelecs…i experienced lot’s of sonic lies when using their average midfield versions…but that’s quite some years ago, i admit…

but whatever u end up with, never go for 8" membranes on two way systems…
5" or 6" versions do way better…

and hell yesh…we’re talking first world problems full on here… :wink:

just remember that to use the DSP linear mode for the HEDD adds on another 20ms latency. If you play VST’s live then that’s quite a big issue.

…20 ms…???

so those are defenitly for mix 'n master ONLY…

you can turn it off , but it’s a knob on the rear - which looks like this

So good luck if you have to reach around and fumble turning it on and off.

It’s 10ms, and you can turn it off if you like.

I’ll likely get the Genelec. The HEDDs are pretty pricey for 5 inch monitors.

it said 10-20ms on the HEDD promo vid. If you want to pay for some DSP and then have it turned off, you go for it.

…since we’re talking reference here and half the rent is always the room anyways, i’d prefer one setting solid…no additional options for switching this or that…

but sereious final mastering needs some additional pair of fresh, second opinion ears, anyway…

+1 For the JBL 306s. I´ve got 308s and what I really like about them aside from the excellent stereo image is that they somehow sound like a hybrid of studio monitors and stereo speakers, thus offering a good sense of how the mix translates to the listeners.
I would imagine they´d work very well for what you described.

+1 on the Dynaudios, Dynaudio BM6A (not the mk2) are awesome!

1 Like