Modular to partly replace Octatrack

Hey there Sound People.

I’m Looking for advices, recommendations, suggestions.

I’d like to get rid of the Octatrack in my Setup. I don’t need that much sampling capability and I wanna come away from using the Crossfader, Transition trick etc. to much. I’ve been Messing around with that for too long. Time to move on for me.

What I realy like about the Octatrack is that it has CUE Outs and one can route whatever goes throught the Octatrack out of the CUE Outputs. In my case I’ve my modular connected in the CUE Outs so I can send whatever Sound straight through my Modular FX’s.

What I am looking for now is something like the CUE Routing capabilities but just in the Eurorack format., a Multi switch or simlar, oh and the whole Thing should be in Stereo.

Does someone of you guys has something similar going on in their Modular Rack? Or knows how to achieve a Routing like that?

Thanks a lot for your time replying.

Best regards Chreg

I’m not sure I should answer someone who wants to get rid of the OT … :wink:

But joking aside: do you mean something like the Mutamix from Intellijel?

Well, it’s not directly stereo, but combine two channels and you are there.

2 Likes

could you be mote specific, what the module should do? do you just need a mixer or something else?

Mutatix is discontinued. And I have no idea what the OP is asking…

Of course in Eurorack there’s 10,000 ways to do the same thing too.

I’d recommend looking into the Befaco hexmix and hexpander modules maybe based on your description. It’s funny I’m doing the opposite right now and looking at integrating an OT into my setup

Thanks for replying anyway, despite of me trying to get away from the OT .-D

That Mutamix from Intellijel looks kinda what I am Looking for actually, and btw on the Intellijel Internet Page you can still order them for 275 Dollares. So it seems it’s not discontinued.

To be more specific of where I wanna go to:

So far I put together a Eurorack FX Rack which is fed by Sound coming from the OTs CUE Outs… The FXs I have in my Rack are Strymon Magneto, Clouds, Audio Damage Dimension, Make Noise QPAS & Morphagene, MI Warps. The Sound is convertet to Modular Level and vice versa by a Intellijel Audio I/O.

Beside of all the FX I got a Intellijel QuadVCA. a XAOC Zadar for modulation and a MI Links (thats how I distributed the Sound so far).

Now I’m Looking for a solution to route the Sound coming from RYTM and Digitone to the Modular to the different FX. Aswell I’d like to have a Bypass so I can have unFXed Sound going straight to the Speakers.

The Sound getting delivered to the different FX Unitys can be in mono, then I guess I’ll need a Stereo Mixer for at least 6 Tracks.

The Befaco Mixers, but These are space-eating on a Skiff, therefore they can do alot when it Comes to mixing.

I was Looking at this guy for audio Routing:

Does someone has any experiences with this module?

Oh and btw, I’m not thinking about selling the OT, it will be used for different actions. So dont you worry.

2 Likes

:smiley: :+1:

check out “matrix mixers” I would say.
route any input to any output = ultimate flexibility, can be used as AUX sends etc.

doepfer makes an inexpensive one…
http://www.doepfer.de/A138m.htm

then a couple of these might help

http://www.doepfer.de/a138d.htm

for the OT X-Fader, you might use this:

http://www.doepfer.de/a1342.htm

with a

https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/planar-2/

and if you go all stereo, I think are not many alternatives to the big and expensive wmd mixer on the market:

cheers

You can of course also buy a Morphagene from Make Noise. It records in stereo on line level or eurorack level, so no extra level conversion is necessary. You just sample with it from rythm and then go wild on the morphagene. Handling is as complicated as of an ot, but its fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I often see people trying to fit a square peg into the round hole that is Eurorack. I have suffered from this myself in the past, and caused myself much uneeded frustration and spending to achieve some ideal of this all needs to, or should be able fit in my rack.

It sounds like you want a mixer with sends and returns. Eurorack mixers will eat up space, often cost more, and be more limiting than simply purchasing an external mixer or just using the OT. The noise floor will be lower as well outside of the rack.

Often people have a perfect solution then use the existence of Eurorack to create a problem for themselves they now need to solve by purchasing more Eurorack.

From personal experience, my enjoyment of Eurorack increased 100 fold when I stopped trying to shoehorn elements of my workflow into the rack and simply embrace Eurorack for it’s strengths rather than trying to work around it’s weaknesses.

I am not saying this can’t be done, just that it will take a lot of space and money to get something close to what the OT affords in cue routing. You are going to make many compromises in order to get there.

These are just my thought and some perspective in stark contrast to what most of us Eurocrackheads will provide as answers. Most will not ask the hard question: Why?Instead you get responses like the obligatory “why not buy both” after being offered differing module solutions that don’t seem to even solve the problem you have created for yourself.

2 Likes

Don’t want to create a new topic - I am also thinking to create a small rack to do one function OT does best. basically on OT:

• you recording the loop
  • you chop it in 16
  • place random locks
    Insta remix of what you had , so you can play this against your original loop.
    I want the same, but more tactile in Euro. So you can play this live.

So I think Morpagene can do this…Record one or two bars of signal.
One question is, what type of CV sequencer you have to add, to select the Genes position in recorded Morpagene memory?
Something that allows having random CV sequencer.

Other parts you need:

• clock source.

Thank you in advance!