Modular synth and octatrack

Use any good (not cheap) MIDI2USB cable/adapter or Shuttle Mate

Check out CVOCD. 4x Pitch/Gate and 8xTrigs/Gates (or otherā€¦see the sysex configuration page). Itā€™s priced really well and doesnā€™t waste any space on the rails. I use mine in a hybrid OT/Reaktor/Euro rig and it has worked great so far.

Iā€™ve also run modular levels in the OT for quite some time without any issuesā€¦just lower the amp. Not saying you canā€™t or wonā€™t have issues, but it hasnā€™t been a problem for me.

1 Like

Yes, sort of.
Either you do a midi note split <>25 or it alternates. The first is more literal but the second gives you another source of weirdness.
They each get a gate but share velocity and assigned cc. I havenā€™t used arp mode.

Also take a look at Mutable Instruments Yarns. If you are just processing audio from the OT then a small mixer with a couple of aux sends is your best bet.

1 Like

Mutable Yarns all the way, I did try the Vermona and its idiot proof, great interface, just a little heavy on the hp.
Yarns has many other modes and uses and for the hp and elegance it is perfect for me.
Think there is a new os for Yarns adding some extra modes and ways of doing thingsā€¦

If you live in Europe and you can handle a soldering iron I recommend the Befaco Midi Thing. It gives you four channels of Gate/CV for only 160ā‚¬ using only 6hp. Perfect for interfacing with the OT.

Like @CliffordMilk, I use the Terrasoniq midi to USB cable - works perfectly

Thanks everyone. So baring in mind I have no modular experience at all can someone break down exactly what Iā€™ll need and how it all connects to have the Atlantis and Shapeshifter act like regular desktop MIDI mono synths, sequenced by 2 MIDI channels from the OT with the two mono signals coming back into OTā€™s inputs?

Or alternatively - if you have any suggestions for regular MIDI mono synths that can sound as gnarly as theseā€¦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io5V1LT34qI&t=1122s (7:20 onwards)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkSnnc9tNJg (5:35 onwards)

I think you can do some Shapeshifter-like stuff using single cycle waves automated by LFOs in the OT by itself - but not quite the same.

Likewise I think you could maybe get close to Metropolis sequencer using some plays free type sequencing stuff?

Any thoughts?

1 Like

The midi 3 can record the modular or do you mean the OT? Are these Midi CCs working good?

The Atlantis is a full blown synth voice, so all you really need is a Midi to Gate/CV converter to trigger it from the OT. The Mutable Instruments Yarns is probably the easiest available multi channel Midi/CV converter. If rack space is an issue I recommend the Befaco Midi Thing that I mentioned earlier.

The Shapeshifter is a different beast. It is just an oscillator so you will need a VCA module for volume control and an envelope module to control that VCA. Otherwise the Shapeshifter will just blast at full volume all the time. It also has many parameters to modulate so I would recommend more than one envelope for sure. This is where the fun really starts.

1 Like

Midi3 is just a midi interface. No recording.
OT will record your audio.

1 Like

Another vote for Yarns here, Iā€™m currently using it with the Squarp Pyramid, and before that with the Monomachine. Lots of fun using Yarns in Euclidean mode along with the Elektron sequencer, especially with the arps to trigger changes.

2 Likes

Thanks Alfred, really important info that Iā€™d missed. Not sure I can afford to build a complete voice around the Shapeshifter. I could maybe use it as an external source into the Atlantis though and control it that way, but that would only leave me with one effective voice, either Atlantis, Shapeshifter, or combined. Might be quite nice though.

I just took another look at the Shapeshifter manual, and it does in fact seem to have a simple envelope if you put it in ā€œPercussion Modeā€. You can send your gate signal into the sync/trig input and it will give you a simple AD envelope on the output amplitude. As the name implies this envelope is mainly for percussive sounds but nothing stops you from giving it a long decay tail. What you can not do is use the OT sequencer to control the duration of that AD envelope because it doesnā€™t have a sustain part.

You can also send the Shapeshifter into the external VCO input of the Atlantis as you said. This will give you only one voice, but a very thick sounding one.

What you can also do if you use Yarns in 2 Voice mode is send a CC from the OT into Yarns and use that CV output as an extra LFO/envelope to modulate parameters on the Shapeshifter.

If you get hold of Reaktor 6 and learn how to use it then you will understand modular very quickly. At a later date you can also add an expert sleepers module to your modular system (ES-8 I think) and send midi and cv from your computer. If you want to only use hardware then M.I Yarns is the way to go.

Is anyone using Pamela`s Workout ā€¦ trying to get synced to Octatrack or A4?

I tried ā€¦ but did not worked that good. Bought Yarns last week an now the modular is in sync with the Elektron Machines.

Iā€™m using malekko sync, works fine so far

For those that clock their modular via MIDI clock from the Octatrackā€¦ have you found any reasonable workarounds to the issue that the OT is constantly sending clock after it has been started once? Even when it has been stopped again?

this is a ā€œfeatureā€ meant to keep other gear in time with the OTĀ“s tempo even when it isnĀ“t running itselfā€¦ sadly, my midi2cv module (by hexinverter, another great 4x cv/gate DIY option by the way) cannot be set up to only output clock when a start signal was received, so my sequencers connected to that clock output will always run as soon as the OT sends its clock, basically.

a bit annoying, not a dealbreaker though.

for those that look into ONLY clocking their modular from Octatrack:
you can download some clock pulse samples from Tip Top AudioĀ“s website, put them on a OT track and have them output through one of the CUE outputs and put that (via adaptor cable to minijack) straight into your eurorack sequencers clock input.

WAY tighter sync than any MIDI clock could ever be.

1 Like

Hey, was just wondering if anyone knew the possibility of sequencing and sampling as I sequence my modular gear? Sort of modulating it at the same time in real time if that makes sense? Do I need another module since it OT doesnt have CV? Does anyone have a video they could post of them doing this with even just an 8 step sequence from modular?

Cheers

Several options, but this might be one of the best

1 Like