Modular... software?

Extremely funny: I just wanted to write how much I like Reaktor because it is an open source project with a great library like the massive Euro Reakt collection. Your recreation of MI Braids models got me into buying a real one and I used your patches in all tracks of my new ambient / electronic album (-> bandcamp).

I second your criticism that patching the modules happens not on the front panel but on the editing page. You will never do it while playing live because it can interrupt your patch completely and still often results in crashes. Still Reaktor and Blocks is one of the most used and best sounding piece of software for me. Again, thank you very much for your great effort you did with Euro Reakt! I hope to see more updates in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! I’m enjoying this album a lot.

The next update has I think seven new Blocks. There are a few subharmonic generators, along with two minimal drums (I may expand that). There’s also a really fun generative modulation source that I’ve had a blast using. I need to do the annoying packaging process (taking Block icon images, writing documentation, checking the automation names, etc.), but they’re pretty much ready to go when I get a break from the next plugin launch.

Software = Reaktor 6
Hardware / Software = Nord Mod G1 or G2

2 Likes

Hi guys,

has anyone tried both those apps and have opinions on them, I can imagine Vcv rack being free and softube not, there is a real difference of quality in the quality of the reproduction of the modules.

I’ve got both, both got lots of flexibility. Personally I prefer Softubes modular even through it’s paid for (with extra to buy some modules) and CPU hungry i think it sounds better. VCV rack great for dipping your toes in

Softube - Better virtual analog modeling
Vcv Rack - better interface, much more variety, free

If you have a mac: My experience with Vcv is not good so far. Everytime I use it my fans go crazy. Many mac users experience the same thing

Reviving this thread to direct a question to all Bitwig & modular vst users:

How would you compare Bitwig’s Grid to eg Softube’s Modular or VCV Rack in terms of sound quality?

I understand ease of use of the Grid is off the charts, just wondering if it is worthwhile buying Bitwig for the Grid as a sound source only? (as long as the discounts are on :))

Also to all, what are your favourite modular vsts in 2020?

I bought Softube Modular today and love the sound quality but in terms of modules available it doesn’t hold a candle to VCVRack, which actually runs smoothly today on my 2012 Macbook Pro.

I also have Cherry Audio’s Voltage Modular which can sound surprisingly nice, especially at 88khz.

Personally, in terms of sound, Softube Modular takes the cake, but VCVRack is the obvious winner for flexibility and value-for-(no)money.

1 Like

I bought a bunch of Softube modular last year on sale and it’s all but unusable. Unless they fixed something over the last year, it was laggy and would just freeze Ableton.

I use miRack on the iPad and it works well enough. I’ve set up the modules that I have recently purchased while I wait for the last two to arrive and have my case built. It’s been great to preview and learn the modules before I get the chance to physically patch them.

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of love for Reaktor around here as well. I have it but I’ve never loaded it up. My head’s been in hardware land for the last two years but I’ve been poking around ITB for the last couple of weeks to change things up. Likely that I’ll noodle around with Reaktor Blocks over the holidays.

1 Like

Now that Reaktor has a proper modular interface it’s my preferred software modular. It just sounds so darn good. The default library has been enough to keep me happy, there is a ton to work with. Adding in the Euro Reakt library adds a ton of options but almost too much for me. (Also you get all of Reaktor, one of the best sonic playgrounds you can buy IMO.)

VCV rack is great, and cheap, and open source, but also suffers from the eurorack issue: there’s too much to wade through and a lack of interface cohesion that makes it less fun to work with for me.

6 Likes

Karma FX Synth is still pretty fantastic and has just gotten a big update. Cherry Audio’s Voltage Modular is terrific. Bitwig’s Grid is getting most of my screen time lately, though, due to the ease with which I can integrate it with my hardware modular/semi-modular synths.

3 Likes

I would recommend checking out the Toybox packs for Reaktor. These blocks are outstanding in terms of sound quality and flexibility. The recent Nano Pack is simply brilliant with 500 modules that make the best out of Reaktor’s interface. In many ways, it reminds me of the Nord Modular patching experience. Definitely worth considering!

3 Likes

Although I have a G2 Engine I still rate the Nord Modular demo very highly and still use it truth be told :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

miRack is what i’ve gotten on with the best, UI-wise.

Sunvox prob. 2nd best.

3 Likes

I rediscovered Reaktor recently. I love that I can make my own Racks using NI Blocks, Toybox or Euro Reakt modules, map desired knobs and create NKS mappings. All of this is saved to my User Library in Maschine for instant recall. Drone machines or weird sequencer driven ones, under pads of my MK3, waiting to be triggered - it’s a bliss.

3 Likes

I used Blocks a lot when it came out and loved it. Haven’t tried the new version yet.

Softube is really barely usable, crazy CPU hog. Wish I could sell it

2 Likes

This. Is. It.

3 Likes

Sound quality is a tough comparison to make since it’s really dependent on which developer’s modules you’re using in VCV. The Grid doesn’t have anything as “analog” sounding as the Vult modules and it doesn’t have any desirable Euro ports like the Mutable or Instruo stuff. The real strength of the Grid over VCV is that you have a strong selection of versatile low-level synthesis blocks that are easy to work with and run efficiently within the DAW. You have to work harder since it doesn’t have any readymade complex modules (ie if you want a random sequencer you have to build one yourself instead of just dropping in Marbles) but I prefer this way of working - it’s the only software I’ve used that comes close to the Nord Modular experience. There is still plenty of room for improvement though - I really wish they’d add a subpatching feature or macro wrapper for dropping in prebuilt module configs within an existing patch.

1 Like

Totally agree, this total chaos on a screen makes it for me a non-option. MMV.

Will have a fresh look at the new Reaktor modular interface, have not opened it for a year or 2.

Thanks for the Euro Reakt tip, for $59.00 (on sale currently) it’s CRAZY how many modules and how much variety is on offer in that pack.

Bought it and experimenting with it. Revived my interest in Reaktor & Blocks, I sort of got tired of NI for various reasons at one point, but the sound quality really can’t be faulted.

4 Likes

Speaking of VCV. This might have been mentioned already, but Instruo is releasing several of their modules for free.

1 Like