Modular... software?

I’ve always been intrigued by modular setups, but haven’t taken the plunge due to cost and space issues. Lately I’ve been wondering if dipping a toe in via modular software would be a good idea.

What do my fellow Elektronauts think about software modulars? Is this a decent way to explore modular without breaking the bank or finding out I don’t really need to go hardware modular only after spending $$$?

I’d like to get something that looks and behaves much like a physical modular would. I realize that this totally negates the advantage of hands-on “tweak-ability”. I’d like to get comfortable first in a lower-cost alternative, learn the ropes, figure out what I need and wouldn’t need, if it’s for me, etc.

I usually make beat-oriented music but am also working on some ambient/experimental music as well. This is mainly what the modular would be for. So, I’m not too interested in doing a whole lot of bread and butter analog sounds with modular. I have an MS-20 mini, JX-03, Minilogue, and lots of software synths for that. In the modular hardware realm I’m always lusting after more esoteric things like Mutable Instruments and Make Noise modules. I think if I started buying actual hardware I’d lean towards things like that for an ambient music project.

I’m looking at things like Max4live modulars BEAP and Oscillot, as well as Soft-tube modular, and Reaktor Blocks.

Anything else to check out? Thanks for advice and tips!

I love Sensomusic Usine for its mathiness. Takes a minute to get into the interface then it’s second nature. I use it for all of my art projects. Very versatile and affordable
And there are a few on Ipad including Audulus, Model15 and once I’m blanking on.

That all said, and I’m sure you know this already, the hardware is different. Limitations, vagueness, accidents, knobs. So many accidents. Part of the charm, IMO, is nothing really works as you would hope or with precision. You never get the same thing twice. An act of letting go, maybe.

2 Likes

Moog Model 15 synthesizer iOS app is pretty sweet and what I’d consider pretty close. Lots of configuration options on it. Probably the best iOS synth out there right now.

3 Likes

Reaktor Blocks

6 Likes

I really can recommend Reaktor Blocks. I love them. They sound fantastic and there is a huge collection of modules in the user library. A lot of blocks emulate real Eurorack modules. For example some codes of Mutable instruments modules are integrated in single Reaktor Blocks (some Braids algorythms for example) and NI did some west-coast blocks, that have Make Noise modules as role model (Dpo, Rene for example).
Softube seems to sound great as well, but you have to pay for each additional module, there is not such a great community behind it as with Reaktor.
Never tried Oscillot, looks fun, but I think soundwise Blocks are superior.
Also like Bazille by U-he a lot.

2 Likes

Don’t overlook KarmaFX Synth: http://karmafx.net/?id=1. There are lots of modules to play with and it sounds very good. It doesn’t look like a Moog or Eurorack but like a hardware modular system, the modules are self-contained, high-level (meaning that you have, say, complete oscillator/filter/ADSR/Sequencer/etc modules) and strung together with virtual patch cables. If you have any back issues of Computer Music magazine, you can find quite a lot of tutorials done using KarmaFX Synth in my Sound Essentials articles. I think the developer mentioned some of the specific issues that included those tutorials on his site.

And I will echo RoyShade’s recommendations of Audulus (desktop or iPad) and Usine - neither of which behave like hardware modular systems but are, nevertheless, great fun.

1 Like

Reaktor blocks rock.
Exactly the cheap introduction to the modular experimental world that you described.
The interface is really friendly, nice looking and inviting.
The sound is great and the online ressources very helpful.

Mega plus: reaktor has a huge library of soft synths, experimental noise machines, fx and other self made sound tools.

2 Likes

Reaktor +++++++

It’s absolutely brilliant

Another big thumbs up for Reaktor Blocks. Really brilliant piece of software.

Be warned tho, it caused me to stop rationalizing and start buying eurorack :tunga:

2 Likes

Yep reaktor is king. But that new Softube thing is good too.
https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=modular

but yeah REAKTOR is boss as!

If you’ve got an iPad then check out Audulus it’s pretty intense though and it probably helps to have a bit of background in modular to get started as their videos are not that great as tutorials although I think they’ve been working on that.

Moog Model 15 is also pretty decent for the iPad (and iPhone!) too.

I’m also a user of Reaktor Blocks too and think it’s pretty awesome.

Have just bought a eurorack case so I’m planning on jumping down the rabbit hole. I don’t plan to build a synth within the case but more of an effects and sampling box for hands-on fun and some ambient droning too :slight_smile:

The great thing about Reaktor Blocks is that you can use it to control a eurorack setup.So you could for example use Reaktor for lots of control modules like VCO and sequencers etc but use your hardware as just the voices.

Blocks is a pretty decent gateway drug to lead you to taking the eurorack heroin.

1 Like

Blocks user here too.
Modular w/ great sound and recall ability.
Doesn’t freak out the TSA going through the airport, either. :wink:

1 Like

I’ll join the chorus of Reaktor love. It’s an incredibly deep program. I just updated to R6 yesterday so I can’t comment on Blocks yet, but your imagination is the limit even with just the primary modules. I updated because I finally broke down and got a new computer (my old one is a decade old), but I’ve dedicated my old computer and an old motu to be a Reaktor sequencing and fx box for my eurorack. Starting with Reaktor before moving into eurorack will save you a boat load of money when you inevitably do ruin your life with eurocrack

1 Like

reaktor
audulus
max/msp
oscillot in Max4live

i’d forget about sticking to things that are just like modular in appearance. think about functions and patching and you’ll do yourself a world of good.

2 Likes

Check Pulsar Modular - http://www.pulsarmodular.com/products/

It’s a large format modular (mos-lab) emulation.

Everything by Madrona Labs :heart:

Nord Modular :heart_decoration:

A few Arturia soft synths go a bit modular

Axoloti

4 Likes

Axoloti is fun, but not very similar to using a hardware modular. If you happen to have a Windows PC with PCI slots, my personal software modular favourite is Sonic Core (previously Creamware) Modular IV. The old DSP PCI cards needed to run it are probably dirt cheap by now. Fantastic sound quality, no latency, but the cards can be problematic on some hardware configurations.

…but, a software modular is a very different experience than using a hardware one. So much so that I don’t think using one gives any hint of whether you’d like the other. But yeah, excellent for learning the ropes.

I think the Analog Four is a very good way to ease into hardware modular, btw. So if you happen to own that, a single module as sound source with lots of CV controls might be an alternative to going software… Something like, say, Mutable Instruments Rings controlled from the A4 and with the audio outputs connected to the A4 audio inputs for delay and reverb. A setup like that would be cool on its own, but something to expand on if it turns out to be to your liking.

1 Like

+1 for Sensomusic Usine (aka Hollyhock). By far my preferred software for custom performance interface hardware / software integration . I haven’t delved that far into the synthesis/sound generative aspects of Usine myself, but with the depth of the software and options available, it seems well suited for all kinds of extreme and very adaptive to ones own imaginations sound manipulations, and in no way crippled to a certain usage formula like, *cough, other Live products out there .

1 Like

Usine is cool, but it has absolutely nothing in common with the classic modular approach that the OP is looking for.

I think C’74 Max7 and/or Reaktor are your best bet.
Oscillot and BEAP are pretty cool for C’74 Max7 beginners and they allow you to experiment in a very very very deep way also going out the digital world (if you want) and coming back creating hybrid analog/digital modular systems in an easy but deep way :slight_smile: