'modern' sounding analog synths?

Despite my disappointment over Gadget Remote Install failing to install Memphis (the MS-20 Gadget) on my iPhone, getting reacquainted with my MS-20 Mini is on my ever growing to-do list. I liked being able to patch the virtual MS-20 on my iPad when I had a longer work commute by train, then try the patch on the real one upon getting home. Of the analogs I have, I like the MS’s filter the best.

OTOH, I’ve been spoiled by the convenience of presets and integrated sequencer on my Korg Monologue and further distracted by the Zoia, whose synthesis side isn’t perfect but still fun.

No love for the Korg Volca modular? Ever since it got release, noone talks about it anymore…it sounds is also quite modern…and old at the same time.

Another “modern” sounding analog, to my ears, is the Circuit Mono Station. It isn’t so much the core synth itself, which is based on the BSII, but the combination of the synth engine and a rich sequencing environment where, much like Elektron devices, every knob and slider can be grab-and-go automated and it even has per-step patch flipping. Makes for very easy and interesting analog drum sequences.

I know an A4 can do so much more, but I managed to snag a CMS for $250 new on special, so for a powerful paraphonic mono synth with integrated sequencer, it was a steal.

Maybe the old analog sound is not only coming from the synthesizer parts but also from the audio technology in the instrument? Which maybe is less hifi than contemporary tech. I have the feeling that for example old Radio r or hifi system speakers from the 70s sound warmer and dirtier than modern ones. Also a DX 7 sounds warmer than an reface dx even when both of them are totally digital synths.

Compared to the Reface the DX7 has an always-on built-in bit crusher … :smile:

(the DX7 uses a 12-bit D/A)

1 Like