Model:Samples Tips & Tricks Thread

My favourite discovery is that when sequencing poly midi devices or vsts you can make three note chords on a track by nudging notes 1 & 3 onto note 2 so they all fire at once. Or some timing spread variation of that. Very useful.

5 Likes

I’ve played with that :+1: . One slight downside is there’s no way to get a 3 note chord on the first note on first play of a pattern. For second and subsequent plays the complete 3 note chord (on trig 1) can be done with last-trig + trig 1 + trig 2 of course.

3 Likes

True. Its a drag for me that the CC the knobs produce can’t be added to these trigs for variation too. Currently I run another sequencer in Ableton between the MS and the synth being triggered that does do CC trigs to get around this, stacking sequencers also has other benefits

Wow. That’s not in the manual is it ? Did you experiment to find that out ?

Discovered a couple of things just now:

Useless tip: If you go into the Ptn Tempo menu, holding down the data knob while turning it increases or decreases the tempo by 8 BPM (this is in the manual). Holding down the FUNC button while turning the data knob increases or decreases the BPM in decimal amounts (also in the manual). What’s not in the manual? Holding down the FUNC button while also holding down the data knob allows you to increase or decrease the BPM by 0.8 BPM.

Useful tip: If you want to name/rename a pattern, instead of navigating to the Pattern and then Rename option, just hold down the Setting (wrench) button for a moment and it will take you straight there.

4 Likes

keep’em comin :slight_smile:

You can also live record all parameters on the lfo page using the main encoder to change values! Pretty cool

At least you can on the Cycles! Sorry- I forgot I was looking at the Samples tips !;

Page 50 of the manual for M:S with OS 1.13:

[FUNC] + [SETTINGS] (long press) saves Pattern to Project.

1 Like

Despite what the manual says, I’m pretty sure that long press SETTINGS is all you need. (without the FUNC). Works on my 1.13 Model Cycles, haven’t checked the Model:samples.

EDIT: same for samples at firmware 1.13

2 Likes

If they are later pages, this will be more laborious. Keep in mind that shortening a sequence will delete the later pages, so if you want to save page 3 of a 64 step sequence for example, you could copy it onto page 1 and then shorten the sequence to 16 steps.

It’s also possible to move one page to another this way: hold TRACK and turn LEVEL/DATA to move all trigs left or right (when in GRID RECORDING mode) until i.e. STEP-1 of one page reach the position of STEP-1 of another one.

1 Like

Hey everyone! I wanted to see what tips and tricks you have with the CTRL ALL feature. I have been able to create pretty interesting ideas but it all happens by mistake, which is cool too! However does anyone have a particular CTRL ALL workflow or specific techniques? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

One typical/obvious use is for a buildup/breakdown using parameters as reverb or delay on all, or raising the pitch of all sounds, or breaking things down by shortening the decay of everything. I guess you could also use it to fade the entire song out with the VOLUME +DIST knob instead of the main volume knob. I’ve actually never thought of trying out Control All with the Chance knob…hmmm

1 Like

Building on Phurniture’s answer, you can also get into glitchy territory pretty easily by using Control All with Sample Start and Sample Length

Also spatial tricks with Ctrl All + Pan

2 Likes

I’ve actually done the Ctrl All with the chance knob. What I like about this is that it gives you space. I usually will add lots of reverb and delay in this case.

3 Likes

Does anyone ever actually use the Resonance knob for parameter locking? I wish Elektron had made a filter menu (perhaps instead of the “Swing All” menu). And inside the filter menu you could control resonance among other things, maybe even filter envelope settings - freeing up the resonance knob for Pan or something else (Attack??). Anyway, just some ramblings, let me know your creative resonance tips if you got em!

And speaking of the Swing All menu, is there any purpose for that? M:C doesn’t need it because you can swing everything with the Track + Swing knob and you can do that with M:S as well.

I’m not sure this is true. I believe that the PRE and !PRE conditions only apply to the previously evaluated conditional trigger on the track, and NOT the bare state of the trig directly adjacent. I don’t have my M:S next to me to test this out but I will later, but I’m sure you can have skipped trigs in between because those trigs have no conditions which will not have been evaluated, and as the manual states “PRE is true if the most recently evaluated trig condition on the same track was true.” In fact, I think you could even have trigs in between that are transparent to the PRE condition, as long as those trigs aren’t p-locked to have conditions. This should also apply to NEI and !NEI conditions.

Using this, you should be able to create what I call “fill cascades” where you p-lock the first hit of a fill to the FILL or !FILL conditions, and then every hit of the fill afterward will use PRE, !PRE, NEI, or !NEI to complete the rest of the fill without having to keep your finger on the Fill button.

6 Likes

Ooh … didn’t know that, thank you.

You are correct! Blank trigs and ‘normal’ trigs with no p-locks are OK as long as there’s no other trig conditions to break the chain. And I like your term ‘Fill Cascades’

1 Like

I just accidentally learned that when naming a pattern you can press FUNC + PAD MENU (:leftwards_arrow_with_hook:︎) to backspace/delete the current character. So much faster than selecting blanks one at a time!

8 Likes