MODEL SAMPLES: Stupid Question / Quick Answers

Can Model Samples use sample chained files similar to the OT and Rytm?

How would the files need to be prepped?(for example; increments of 127 or 120)
What’s the RAM limit for files loaded in a kit?

I can’t find any documentation on sample chain prep process for the Model Samples.

Is there a way to quickly preview all the samples in a folder without loading them (which i appreciate can be done in 1 go)? I’m expecting to nav to a folder with 6 samples in and preview each with T1-6, but instead T1-6 jumps to the location currently set to. I’m sure i saw this was possible somewhere…

Is that :

“Press [BACK] to navigate up one level in the folder hierarchy if needed. Press the [T1–6] pad of the active track while browsing to listen to the sample currently highlighted. You can also press and hold the [T1–6] pad to let the sequencer play the highlighted sample”

? or I did not understand (sorry for any redundance then)

I have to say the concept of this thread is a bit ill-conceived, because what the asker may think is a simple question with a quick answer may actually be quite complex. In the interest of future folks searching these forums for answers to their questions, it will work a lot better if each question has its own thread.

My suggestion is to close/lock this thread, and that all future questions be given their own threads. I’m not a mod here, that’s just my opinion.

That said, I’ll try to answer some of the long string of unanswered questions here, and I’ll reply to each one so that the asker gets a notification.

1 Like

@malvop

You can use MIDI to control external instruments. First, the Model:Samples must be set to MIDI OUT in the menus for this to work (Settings > MIDI > PORTS > Out to M+U (or just MIDI or just USB, depending on what you are using). Also, in that same menu, set Out/Thru to OUT. On each track, you have to enable MOUT for that track. FUNC + TRACK, then make sure MOUT is checked/enabled. Now save your pattern so it remembers these settings (Settings > Pattern > Save).

With all that in place, your tracks should start sending MIDI. Also, the Mute function (FUNC + T1-T6) only mutes the sequencer. So you can still live play on top of a muted track with the track pad or the chromatic keyboard.

Also, if you are using a MIDI controller with the Model Samples, the same applies. So a key press on your MIDI controller will trigger the sample, even if that track is muted. Again, the mute only applies to the sequencer. If you want to mute a track so that it can’t be heard in any circumstance, set the Volume + Dist to 0 for that track.

There was also an odd bit of behavior where you had to set a track’s volume all the way to zero, then back up again to your desired level, before it would output MIDI from that track. I think that was a bug that was addressed in later firmware versions.

Also, when you press play on the Model Samples, it should send a ‘play’ command to all other sequencers that are in your MIDI chain. For example, if I use the Model Samples with my Minilogue XD, I connect MIDI OUT on the Model Samples to MIDI IN on the Minilogue XD. When I press play on the MS, it also starts the sequencer on the XD simultaneously.

2 Likes

@twofax

I think the answer is no, I haven’t found a way to do that, and the manual doesn’t specify a way to do that either. Since the sample locks folder can hold only 26 samples, I expect that once you add the 27th sample, any unused samples would be overwritten. But that’s just a guess.
@tigerhill

What that means is that your DAW is sending the ‘play’ signal instead of a ‘stop’ signal. On the Model Samples, the play button is play/pause, so it remembers the step in your sequence. The stop button is full stop, so it takes you back to the first step in your sequence no matter where you were. So you might need to configure your DAW differently, perhaps using MIDI CC to send a full stop signal? Not quite sure.

Also, if you have long samples, delay, reverb etc. that keep making sound after you’ve hit ‘stop’, keep hitting ‘stop’ a few more times and it will stop all sound coming from the Model Samples.
@philroyjenkins

Yes, but for some reason the range seems to be limited, you don’t get the full range of delay parameters that you would get when applying it to a full track. Not sure why.
@Little_Dadd

This one is a bit complex. One way to do it would be:
Create pattern 1 to your liking, then copy it into the pattern 2 slot. Go into the menus Settings > Pattern > Clear and choose to clear Sequence only. You now have a blank sequence in the pattern 2 slot with all of the parameter changes from pattern 1, but none of the notes.
I think that’s the fastest and simplest way to do it.

Another approach is to keep everything on the same pattern, but use conditional trigs to create the variations that you want. I know I wrote up a whole tutorial on this in response to someone else’s question, but I can’t find it now (can’t remember if it was on these forums or on Reddit). Anyway, the idea is to use the X:Y conditional triggers to create a shorter sequence, say 16 steps, sound like a much longer sequence, say 64 steps. That way all of your parameter knob tweaks will apply to all trigs (except for trigs with parameter locks).

Also, most folks use the term ‘kit’ to mean a drum kit, or any collection of 6 samples that would be quickly loaded onto T1-T6 (for example, when you quick load a folder of 6 samples, it auto-populates each track). So I would consider what you are asking as ‘how do I copy parameters between patterns?’. Just semantics, of course, but I’m adding this to help others who may be using different search terms.
@artaction

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by ‘sample chained files’, but you can create your own samples that are comprised of a chain of other, shorter samples if you like. There’s no limit to sample length, so it can be several minutes long if you wish. Search for people using the Model Samples for granular and wavetable synthesis, and you’ll see this in action. For example, this thread:

thanks for replying, but no, i have to load up the 6 samples to get T1-6 to play them, there isn’t a preview of all 6. You can only preview one at a time. No biggee, just be nice.

N00B here, quick use case I’m wondering out before I buy. Haven’t been able to find this anywhere.

Understand how the stereo audio out (or muting and recording channels) into a DAW works.

But what about using it to trigger soft synths in a DAW. For instance, could I connect to Ultrabeat in Logic Pro X and record midi as I perform live? Want the MIDI out from M:S to record in real time into the piano roll. I think this should be possible, knowing it’s only 6 channels of MIDI info, right?

EDIT: Also what about recording MIDI via USB and recording audio via the stereo out at the same time? E.g. get a MIDI software kick to trigger at the same time as you record the kick sample coming out of the stereo out.

The Model:Samples outputs MIDI on each of the 6 tracks, so you could record up to 6 channels of MIDI into your DAW (each one on a different MIDI channel). Or you can put multiple tracks on a single MIDI channel if you like.

Yes, you can use it to control soft synths, you would just have to configure the soft synth to receive MIDI on the same MIDI channel that the M:S is sending.

And yes, you can also record the stereo audio and MIDI simultaneously. You can record the audio directly into your DAW via the USB cable (this is unique, most synths can’t do this), or you can record from the stereo audio output through a USB audio interface, just like any other synth.

1 Like

@minimal.camera thank you so much, this is super helpful.

The ability to live record the MIDI and audio simultaneously is perfect. That way I can at least get the basic pattern in midi for doubling, mixing, etc. Think I’m going to more forward with buying one.

2 Likes

Why isn’t there an LFO destination of velocity? I’d like to randomize within a depth, the velocity? So from the set velocity for a trig, randomise within a range of it.

In POOL > FACTORY, what is the difference between DRUMS and GROOVE ?
I did my best for “stupid” haha
But i’d love an answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

M:S maps to the bottom two octaves on my keyboard.
So, playing midi in is limited to only two octaves. I have a 61 key keyboard. Is there a way to get the M:S to map all the keys?
It does this with another keyboard I have as well.

@visionset

I agree, that would be nice, maybe in a future firmware update. For now, play with the Velocity Depth options in the Pad Config menu. Not quite the same, but still fun.
@Thingue

I don’t there there is much of a difference, just different names for different styles of drums. For any folder with 6 samples (which I think is all of them?) you can quick load the entire folder onto all 6 tracks by pressing and holding the orange encoder on the folder name.
@CS-80BigPP

The notes on the keyboard correspond to pitch change values on the M:S (same as changing the Pitch know in semitones, or half-steps). The full range is 4 octave. From the manual:

Blockquote
9.2.1 PITCH
Sample Pitch sets the tuning of the sample. This parameter is bipolar, and a value of 0 >leaves the pitch unchanged. (-24–+24, equivalent to four octaves.)

So 4 octaves is the limit of how many keys any sample can be mapped to. Which keys get mapped is a result of the original pitch of the sample. A higher pitched sample would be mapped higher on the keyboard, and a lower pitched sample would be mapped lower. At least that’s what I’ve observed.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! And yep, the pitch knob will adjust the pitch + or - 24 on the MS. The challenge I’m finding is that midi in keys above C3 are not even recognized by the MS. I can dial the pitch on the MS within the 4 octave limitation to then play via a keyboard, but no matter what that midi keyboard is limited to only a 2 octave range by the MS (regardless of pitch).
I’d love to know how to get the MS to recognize key input outside of the current limited 2 octave key range.

1 Like

Do sample locks saved in the locks folder actually save parameters like they do for sounds in the sound pool on the digitakt? Or is it just the naked sample with no associated parameter tweaks saved?

Can you access locks between patterns? Or are they tied to the pattern itself?

Sound pool on the DT makes jamming and improv pretty fun - was hoping for something similar on the MS.

If not, thats alright… just a little extra workflow to resample in a daw and and re export to the samples

Once you have 26 sample locks you can’t add more (verified, screen shows it is full)

I suppose the way to make some space is browsing Locks folder & assign some slots to an empty sample (not tested, but I believe we can do it)

There you’ll find just the sample file, with original sound

Hi Folks! I have the well known scale issue. The pattern doesn’t start at one, the trigger for the program change starts later. How late depends on the length of the pattern. I made the scale in every different constellation. Can someone tell me the truth, am I a moron? :rofl:

Hi, I have a newbie question. I understand chance can be used to trigger whether the note plays or not, but is there a way to program a condition whereby the velocity is random between a set range?

If not, is there any workaround possible to get random velocity happening, for a given step, within a defined velocity range?

Never having used a sequencer in my life, is this even a valid question? I would have thought it would be handy to introduce subtle randomized velocity on say a hi-hat, for a little humanized feel?