Model:Samples sticky-stuckTrig button

Folks,

one of my M:S is having an issue with Trig#9 button. apparently an abuse of 4ontheFloor patterns had is toll on it. it´s getting sticky, and sometimes plainly stuck.

what are my options here?

It´s SN is from 2019, so I think it´s 1st batch, which makes it more special to me: it has the “Made in Sweden” from the first run :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may be able to learn something from this breakdown video of model cycles, physically identical to M:S right? So the type of button is different than digitakt because of the trigger being non mechanical (force sensitive), but with digitakt, the button sticking is sometimes misalignment. Is there one side or top/bottom which seems very close to the edge of the button hole? You may be able to open it up and realign/reset the position of the button.

Check this out and see if it’s something you’re willing to get into yourself, the 3 years of warranty seems like it would be over based on your serial number date however you may be able to schedule a service, usually there’s not a fixed repair cost (though possibly an estimate will be given). I can’t speak for Elektron repair in that regard, but may be possible to do this at home using some web based knowledge on disassembly (I had to realign the buttons on digitakt so I had a similar experience with a button that would stick down, especially when pushed from a certain direction).

2 Likes

I have an early Made in Sweden M:S, and like many users, had some issues with buttons and was sent a new rubber keybed by Elektron. Could be that yours needs a refresh. Contact customer service and they’ll send one out to you.

2 Likes

Thanks, It seems doable. I might give it a try depending on what Elektron support responds (I have just open a ticket).

from what I saw in this video it could either be:

1. Trig #9 went off one or the two guiding pins at some extent, being misaligned now, getting stuck while coming up.
  2. The rubber in trig#9 is fatiged and cannot push back up the block weight.
  3. Perhaps T#9 loose one or more of the tiny black rubber feet, so it´s going deeper than its expected to pull up by the top rubber

but yeah, all is specualtion at this point.

for me (with digitakt specifically) it was easier to see visibly that there was a misalignment between the keycap and the hole it passes through. As I was watching this video, I could see the anatomy of the device is different, but has a similar principal in that the physical assembly could create an issue, he explains pretty well the construction.

1 Like

This is the solution I would preffer, a rubber piece replacement.

I can try to do the replacement following the steps in the video posted by @shigginpit , with utter care. And also, AFAIK, there is no Elektron support center here in Brazil… and shipping this overseas seems an overkill.

I have two other Models boxes, one Cycles and another Samples (from newer batch both), and the rubber in all of them feels different. In the Cycles, it feels super tight with much shorter travel distance than the other two Samples. That short travel distance feels great doing melodic stuff (which Cycles is naturaly inclined to I think).

I liked the loose feeling on this one for finger drumming melodics, when you go fast usually go harder, so a loosy travelling feeling provided a nice tactile feedback with less tiredness in the fingers… until trig#9 stopped comming back up.

1 Like

just an update:

Best company ever, way off guarantee Model:Samples 1st gen (Made in Sweden sticker) just got replacement rubbers.

will keep rocking it until 2030.

7 Likes

this is an awesome update, elektron keep bangin out the hits!

1 Like

I forgot to close this.

M:S is healthy again, kicking hard.

Excellent support from Elektron.

Can somene close this post?, thanks!