Model:Samples – Sound Envelope Capabilities

As a M:C user I think about buying a M:S to increase my track count and to add new sound possibilities. What do I want to do with it? The sounds on the M:C usually have an emphasis on the beginning, what would be normal/good for a drum-like sound. On the other side I’d like to bring in melodic and soft sounds, like e.g. cello, viola, duduk and such, or similar electronic sounds.

On the M:C the only way is to use the ENV setting of the lfo for that, what in return means, that the lfo is lost for other sound manipulations.

My thought now is: If I could prepare samples with a soft start and load them up to the M:S, how would that work? Here a couple of questions came up, where I’m not experienced and also did not find specific answers up to now. So maybe some experienced of you could give me some answers to my questions:

• What means decay, does it start after the sample is played or does it fade out (from sample beginning) the running sample?- So, does it shortcut the sample or enwiden it?
  • What is the difference between note LEN setting and sample length (encoder knob)? Does the latter just have a meaning if sample looping is on?
  • What possibilities do I have with the loop button and single cycle wave forms to generate an organ like tone, means: start with the button press, stop when letting the button go and no decay wanted? I assume, that I can control the attack just with the ENV lfo setting. But if looping, does the note length set the end? Or how can the length of a tone be controlled?
  • And how behaves decay when sample looping is on? Maybe this is the same question, as my first…

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

I got M:S after M:C and found it wasn’t what I wanted … so long term users may have different answers to me, but here goes.

• decay starts immediately with the beginning of a note
  • note LEN I’m pretty sure only makes a difference to the outgoing midi, not internal sound generation
  • sample length is how much of that sample is used.
  • “start with the button press, stop when letting the button go and no decay wanted” - I don’t think you can do that. I’m pretty sure the only way to stop a sustained (no decay) note sounding is to have a zero volume ‘note’ on the next step.
  • decay behaves the same when sample looping is on.

Actually that makes it sound pretty useless. I hope I am wrong about some of those and someone will correct me.

So that would mean the M:S always plays a sample to it’s end? The note LEN does not stop it from doing so? So I would need to set the sample length encoder to stop it as the only way?

Yes to all 3 of those. Setting the sample length on a per step basis is an option I left out (sorry). That will work so long as you’re not looping the sample.

1 Like

I really wish this wasn’t true. Is it possible I’m wrong here … anyone ?

Well, I think, I wouldn’t like to do so on a daily base. I’d better think of a used DT then. Pitty, I like the handling of the Models very much. Also to be able to drive them on a 5V powerbank is great.

Thanks for all these answers, @bibenu . I will think about, what to do. Maybe, for now I’ll just stay with my Cycles, going DT when I feel a very need.

I’m just curious, what had you been missing?

You can also use squarewave LFO in retrig mode to get a slower attack, you just have to set speed to 0 and set the speed multiplier, fade settings, and depth to taste

The kind of things you’re talking about, mostly. I knew it had no ‘hold’ stage in the envelope, but, since it was my 1st sampler, I hadn’t really worked out how that limited the sounds you can make with it. I also found working with single cycle waveforms produced disappointing results for me due to the limited modulation you can apply.

For me, it’s usefulness is mainly

• one-shot percussion
  • loops (with decay turned off)
1 Like

The filter is cool and unique, though, and the velocity modulation can be interesting, especially in combination with retriggering and/or the LFO. It’s still got that great Elektron sequencer with locks, trig conditions, and per-track speed/length. My main frustration with it is the sample selection UI.

With the MS and MC, half the fun is in finding tricks/workarounds, and if you can roll with that it’s a good attitude adjustment that you can bring to beefier gear.

3 Likes

Thanks, so I’m not alone with my thoughts. :slight_smile:

Yes. On my MC I made so many cool sounds I never thought, I could do on that thingy. Yesterday I was on search for a sitar and ended in a pretty nice Hammond organ sound. :grin:

And I made a pretty natural framedrum sound, well, drums is, what it is made for, mainly.

1 Like