Model:Samples setup — Controller/Effects

Hello Elektronauts ! :v:

This is my first post on this forum, I’m a new Elektron user having recently acquired my lovely little Model:Samples. :slightly_smiling_face:

I want to use a Novation Launch Control to link my track’s volumes on faders and pitch/cutoff/decay on knobs. I’ve heard I can link it through Ableton Live to control midi inputs to the Model:Samples.

As a newbie hardware user I have a few questions :

1 - What would be the routing and cables needed to make this setup ?

2 - Can the Novation Launch Control control the Model:Samples and some Ableton Live effects at the same time ? (to have a filter on the master for example) Or will it only be linked to my Model:Samples ?

3 - If controlling both isn’t possible, how to setup a midi to usb between the Model:Samples and the Novation Launch Control ?

4 - Is a compressor pedal necessary to make a live record sound correct in terms of dynamics ?

Thank you for reading, I hope this will also help other Elektronauts who want to make Model:Samples the core of their setup.

:notes:

2 Likes

A friend of mine answered my questions, to those who are interested :

1 - It’s a really simple setup actually, you just need to link both the Model:Samples and the Novation Launch Control to your computer and setup the MIDI routing inside the DAW.

2 - Yes it can.

3 - No information on this.

4 - A compressor pedal can be a plus if you have a computerless setup.

Hope this will help, correct me if anything is wrong. :v:

1 Like

I’d also like to use (volume) faders/knobs form an external midi controller, but without the use of a computer. Is this possible? Like with an evolution UC33 (has a built in usb to midi convertor)

And what about the relative (volume) settings when changing patterns?

Thx!

Yes, you’ll still need to first set up the midi controller’s cc routings using accompanying software on your computer. Basically you premap the physical controls to send the messages you want, referencing the midi implementation guide in the manual.

To use the controller without a computer, you will also need a USB midi host (like a Kenton, miditech, bomebox, raspberry pi etc) unless:

• your controller outputs DIN 5 pin midi (most don’t, but some novation launchpads do, and for example Arturia keystep and beatsteps do)

• or your target gear to be controlled has a built in USB midi host (Elektrons don’t, but for example a 1010 Blackbox does)