Model Samples MIDI Play/Stop

Hi all, looking at the midi specs in the manual and can’t see any transport controls. Surely I can play/stop via midi in? Can someone confirm?

Yes, it’s a standard MIDI message - if your external device can send this then that’s all that you need to do presuming you have the ports open to allow this via either MIDI (using a proper dongle) or USB

either way you need to enable Transport Receive and maybe ensure your USB port is taking Midi

You’ll need to look through your settings or the manual to set those up

2 Likes

ahhhhh thank you, didn’t think to try standard start stop messages!

1 Like

Hey guys,

I do have the same request because I am mostly using the M:S as a drum machine.

I am also quite new to MIDI, so how do you send a standard Play/Stop MIDI Msg?
As far as I know, it is only possible to send three types of data PC, CC, and notes. So what is Play & Stop in MIDI ?

(Because the only way I can play and stop my M:S is via Clock control from an external device).

If they’re is a fourth type I guess my midi pedal does not handle it (Ampero control)…

Welcome to the forum!

Your device would have to send standard MIDI messages that are literally named “Start” and “Stop”.

The online manual for the Ampero Control pedal states that, as you noted, it only supports Program Change, Control Change, and Note messages. It cannot currently send Start or Stop messages.

In order to use that device you would have to have another MIDI processing device to convert messages that it can send into Start and Stop messages.

Well, Peter Hanes, thanks for your answer. I sure should have paid more attention to the Ampero control’s manual but I thought play/stop could be triggered via PC or CC. MIDI is not that simple and it is suprising to see that to get very simple functions, you need to reach quite expensive gear (MC6 for instance). I’ll try to find a device converting MIDI messages into play and stop.
Would you have a suggestion?

The only device of the sort I could find was the MIDI solutions events processor but it sells at around €200 which is awfully expensive!
I’d better buy the MC6 but what an expensive gear to do very basic things!

Any other much cheaper options?

I alternatevely figured out that it could be possible to emulate such pedal for free.
I need to create an empty pattern of very few beats (1 if possible) and start from there manually. The M:S will be silent but playing. Once I send a PC for another pattern, it will quasi instantaneously play sounds. Therefore, moving from the silent & short pattern to another one would be the equivalent of a “play instruction”. “Stop” will be the opposite but won’t be instantaneous… only downside I see with this method.
I haven’t tried that method but it is sure worth a try and save €200…

I honestly do not understand why MIDI controller are so limited and why they cannot ALL include basic functions such as play/stop! If MIDI is only software (digital) information it is not really more complicated. I wonder if there are hardware limitations…

And I did find a rather cheap pedal (not that much for non-US customers like me) sending play/stop MIDI info but I am not sure it’s working with the M:S (and there is no MIDI out/thru) :

I doubt whether this pedal will work for your needs because, as far as I know, the transmitting device also needs to send MIDI clock messages.

If this workaround is satisfactory for you then you will save yourself a lot of money.

Thanks Peter,
I’ll try to see how it works with some practice but there is a tiny delay nonetheless and that solution depends on the BPM of the project because MIDI sync cannot be changed from one pattern to another.
I may consider purchasing a MC6 but it’s €320…

I finally acquired a MC6 and after many trials and error, I managed to make it work!

Three different elements are necessary:

• Send Real Time messages Start/Stop (as anyone would expect…)
  • Set your control device to CONTINUOUSLY act as a midi clock device
  • If possible set a BPM

That took me several hours to figure this out and it works!

The only problem is that this method makes ALL your Midi Devices to start!

I haven’t figured out how to control my MIDI devices separately but Elektron people, why not implementing a CC message for Start and Stop !?!

Well, looking on forums for the Digitakt I found a trick that works.

So Start-Stop messages will control all my devices which is nonetheless interesting.

To control the M:S individually, it is possible to use the “Mute” tracks which is accessible via CC (n°94).
Send value 127 to mute (eg STOP) and send value 0 to unmute (eg PLAY)

It is a bit tedious to program because 6 messages (one for each track) are necessary but that WORKS!

If I had found this, I could have saved some money but for future owners, it is therefore to control the M:S via ANY midi controller.