Model:Samples, is it for me?

Hello. I have never owned an Elektron device, but i think i’m in love with the workflow of Model:Samples. Many people say that it is more limited compared to Digitakt for example. However all the sound manipulation features of this device is just what i need. But i have a question i would like to ask you, because there is still a thing i don’t quite understand about Model:Samples . I play mostly synths and guitar and i want to perform live. I would like to use M:S as a rhythm device, which would play different drum samples and sometimes bass lines. The thing is that most songs don’t usually consist of a 64 step loop (for example) which plays over and over and which is limited to 6 tracks etc. Perhaps my song has one 32 step loop for verse with one set of sounds, and 64 step loop for chorus with another set of sounds (like different snare or something like that). And also there are different stuff un between like drum fills and so on. Is it possible to somehow perform with M:S like that? Saving song’s patterns and stuff and not just work around a loop. And if not, is there a device (which is not a laptop lol) which can do something like that ? It doesn’t have to be only an Elektron product. Thank you.

You can set up a chain of different patterns with the M:S, so you can create a “song” based on multiple patterns in a specified order, but you can only have one chain, and you can’t save it - it deletes itself when you turn off the machine. So from that point of view, the M:S isn’t suited to playing as a backing track for love performance. The Digitakt and Digitone have this limitation too. People have been asking for Song Mode to be added to all 3, but it hasn’t happened yet and may never.

You could use another device (external sequencer, laptop or tablet) to control pattern changes via MIDI Program Change events - not something I’ve tried yet myself, so I don’t know how it works on the M:S.

Some other drum machine/groove boxes do allow you to chain patterns into songs that will play from beginning to end when you select them and press play, including Elektron’s Octatrak. But a lot of them are going to be missing some of the other cool features of the M:S.

1 Like

Thanks alot! That’s a real shame though, i really wanted to perform without a PC. Gonna get the M:S anyway i guess) I really dig it’s creative workflow.

yep, :3lektron: would definitely have had that bullet pointed if it was suited :wink:

3 Likes

It won’t fulfil your needs very well if you want to play another instrument at the same time, I would say.
But it will be great fun, and you might be surprised how much music you can get from 6 tracks.

…it’s more a hands on than a hands off machine…

most hands off factor, if needed, in the elektron universe is the octatrack…there u can twiddle as much as u want but also let it just run with pre fixed arrangements…

but that’s also the biggest learning curve and deepest muscle memory machine from sweden out there…and a different price tag…

but the ugly model from sweden can do a lot, when it comes to keep it intresting with lots of variety within the same pattern loop…and it’s the easiest to wrap ur head around machine so far…

no other machine will provide the same amount of fun while achieving pretty convincing results on the fly like this one…

and like with all elektron gear…64 bars stepsequencing sounds not that much only in first place…once u really use them, u’ll find out that the machine in front of u has pretty much no limits…and their sequencers are instruments of their own…

in this price range there are no such things u could call an alternative for what u got in mind…
akai mpc’s can do a good job as a hands free tool on stage…

The Circuit and the Electribes both have song modes. While not as funky as the Model, they’re not bad when approached right.

I don’t really understand why everyone call M:S ugly. It does remind of medical device lol. But in my opinion it’s not ugly at all. Combination of white, grey and orange colors is quite unique.

3 Likes

…does everyone?

i thought, that’s only me…i just hate white finishings…and it took me a moment to realize, that in this case, this case shell is nothing but a perfect white canvas ready to get individualized…
the rest is just a mindgame…photo models can’t be ugly per definition, especially if their from sweden…
so i call this amazing instrument the ugly model from sweden…but thats just me…
on top of all this, kraftwerks biggest hit was called “the model” and contains the line…she’s a model and she’s looking good…the rest will be history…'cause this ugly model from sweden will be a living legend soon to come…so, no worries…and no offense…at all…

so, that being said…i i hardly recommend this instrument…!.

as with all elektron gear, all ur musical plans upfront will change a lot with this, be ur first elektron machine…promise.

u gonna love it and all u wanna do on top of and along with it, will work out great…promise…again…

1 Like

you will lower the resell value if you put Stickers on it
Keep that in mind. They are a clever marketing idea to keep selling new ones as a lot of used gear buyers prefer blank machines, not modded ones…

It reminds me of various Commodore computers, which IMO is a wonderful thing. If I’m honest, I think the Digis are among the best looking synths ever, but I really like the M:S aesthetic. Part of it is nostalgia for my Commodores/Amigas/etc. but I also think it looks pretty nice in general.

I guess if one is comparing it to a nicely shaped metal case, it may not look as good, but taken on its own it’s very cool. It’s also rock solid, the knobs feel good, while being light at the same time. It’s my go-to laying around the house, making music on headphones device.

I also agree that it has a somewhat cyberpunky medical device appearance (which is cool). It looks like it should be monitoring and tweaking someone’s cybernetic implants. :smiley:

2 Likes

Mick Jagger:
“I see a white sampler and want to paint it black…”

2 Likes

Well, if we’re going to go that far, we may as well lay out a 3mm anodized and engraved aluminum panel, and put it in a nice enclosure. I’d do it in blue though.

Hmm… I wonder if Elektron would share the panel drawing…

1 Like

“No more will my 3mm anodized and engraved aluminum panel go turn a deeper blue…
I could not foresee this thing happening to you…”

3 Likes

I cant emphasize enough for creativity. Knob per function. The samples does this very well. No menu diving like DT. Same with everything electronic. Cameras etc. People want less menus. It frees up time for creativity. And someone mentioned the word fun. Yes. More time to actually enjoy what your doing. Knob per function wins for me everytime.

…u really think in reselling catogories!?..seems pretty sad, to me…

what look would the one who will buy this instrument from me one day prefer the most…hmmmmm…
hope the music u make before reselling it does sound like a bit more fun than this…

i never thought about reselling stuff in first place…i use gear for working with it…
just can’t see music instruments as investments…and hell yup, i love to mod…

1 Like

The supplied stickers peel off easily without damaging the surface of the M:S - they’re plastic, not paper. They leave no residue. The only way applying them would lower the second hand price would be if (collectively) the next owners wanted the sheet of stickers themselves intact. I guess time will tell if that becomes an issue or not, but I personally doubt it will unless the M:S becomes some kind of “classic” collectible.

1 Like

If I own an Octatrack and a Digitakt, is there any reason for me to get this, besides GAS?

Yes better workflow --chance knob —you can make a LP worth of sounds just with playing with that control over the same pattern
No other sampler has this amazing feature