Model Samples for looping stems?

Hey guys! Looking for a cheap solution to playing my modular tracks live without having to bring the actual modular. Been thinking about the MS - but how well would it be suited to play long stems of audio? Can tracks be read from the card directly, or do you have to load them to RAM?

I will leave it to owners of the M:S to comment on its suitability, but you should bear in mind that:

• samples are sent (using Elektron’s Transfer or other software) into the +Drive for storage; there is no “card”;
  • samples are loaded into the current Project for playback; the Project can hold 64 MB of samples;
  • samples are mono, not stereo.
4 Likes

The only Elektron machine in production which can do this is the Octatrack (streaming audio in stereo from CF card with up to 64GB).

All others (Digitakt/Analog Rytm/Model:Samples) are limited to

1. mono samples
  2. samples need to be in RAM (64MB => 11 min. mono audio at 16bit/48kHz max. per project)
  3. builtin +drive (size: 1 GB)
3 Likes

Thanks, guys. Yeah, the 64 mb of memory and it being mono is a bit of a bummer. Will probably need to get an Octatrack instead. Thanks. :slight_smile:

If its just about playing (and recording) stems the 1010music blackbox is a great and compact alternative.

2 Likes

True. I have a Bitbox, but can’t say I love working with it, it’s a bit too much like an Ipad if you want to get very involved. But a good shout! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got the Octatrack MKI and M:S in my setup because of this. OT is playing stems from pre-produced tracks in Ableton (Pads, Bass, every other melodic noodling) and the M:S has all my drums as one-shots.
M:S is super nice for this usage, but I can assure you that it is kind of a hassle to play/perform with loops on it.

2 Likes

Cheers for the info! :slight_smile:

How about an SP404?
Many people use to “DJ” their tracks on them…
Can use up to 32GB SD cards.
Sure cheaper than an Octatrack for your needs.

2 Likes

Good tip! Thanks. Will check it out. :slight_smile:

How is the SP404 for syncing up different patters with elektron boxes (via program changes?), do you know? I’m hoping to do the same thing as OP but I don’t know how I’ll sync two sequencers in terms of different patterns