Model Samples + Cycles and Microfreak?

I’ve been also looking at the Mackie Mix series (PROFX10V3) , but neither do I know about the quality or ableton capabilities.

Thank you! I hooked them up yesterday after reading your advice!

1 Like

Hi I’m new to the forum and have a similar question. I have a Microfreak and I’m looking at the Samples and Cycles. I’m new to all of this and I’m having a hard time deciding which one to go with. I would mostly be using whichever l choose for drums. They both seem so fun. If you had to choose between the two which would you go with?

I’ve got both M:S and M:C. If you have to choose one, it comes down to this: do you want the versatility to come from being able to load up vast numbers of diverse samples, or from being able to shape and sculpt sounds on the machine. Both have the exact same sequencing capabilities.

You’ve already got a synth. Do you want more of that (but focused on drums), or something different?

If it was me and I had the Microfreak, I’d go with the Samples. But it’s purely a personal decision.

I’ve currently got all three, the Microfreak being the latest addition. My plan was/is to sample one shots from the freak and upload these to the Samples. So far I’ve done a few bread and butter sounds and some chords which after some prep in audacity work quite well. I could do loads of percussion sounds but the Cycles has them covered and saves the extra work.

I was going to use a track on the samples to send midi to the freak but I’m getting more interesting stuff going on by using the freak’s arp and pattern sequencer with the modulation possibilities.

Makes for a nice compact setup that I can power by battery. Just wished that the Samples could sample… ‘Why oh why did I sell my OT?’

I’d agree that the Samples is a better first fit out of the two.

Hey all. Please note that you should use the original midi to trs adapters that come with MF. It was not working for me until I have used the original adapter with midi cable. I think TRS to TRS will simply not work with MF.
Perhaps it is the same issue.

There are two types of midi over TRS afaik. Some companies went with one type (such as Arturia) while many more companies went with the other type. That’s why the Model Samples and Cycles have an option to switch between the two different types of polarity to ensure compatibility. Pretty damn decent of Elektron to do that, imo.

From p44 of the Model:Cycles manual:

1 Like

“Would beats be handled by M:C mainly, with longer melodic samples playing on the M:S, or would M:S be taking care of drums while the M:C takes care of melodic stuff?”

Cant believe I didnt thought of this lol. Tomorrow I’ll be flippin’ their roles and see what happens.

1 Like

The yellow ones that come with Novation stuff and those sold by 1010Music work with M:S/M:C no problems std polarity