Model Samples + Cycles and Microfreak?

Hi all,

I’ve been enjoying watching and reading about elektron gear for ages now, but never really became hands on with it until I recently bought and sold a digitakt.
Sold?! I hear you all thinking…
From what I saw before buying the digitakt was the perfect elektron machine to start with but I have to be honest I didn’t really feel it when I finally got one. So a bit disappointed but not discouraged I sold it and started watching videos again and kept reading until I realized that the model:samples actually suits me a lot better than the digitakt did, so I got one and I love it!

I will probably outgrow it one day and maybe go back to wanting a DT or maybe an OT, but for now I really love the playfulness and the dedicated knob per function.

So my question to you guys.
Would the combination Model Samples + Model Cycles + Arturia Microfreak be any good?

I have seen videos of one paired with the other, but never saw anyone combine the three.

To give you some perspective: I make melodic house/techno and also use a keystep, launchpad pro mk3 and ableton.

Looking forward to your ideas.

Maybe. Why not get one unit at a time and see what is missing from your music?

What do you think you need that you can’t do with Ableton Live?

2 Likes

It would help us a lot if you describe the role each of them would play. Would beats be handled by M:C mainly, with longer melodic samples playing on the M:S, or would M:S be taking care of drums while the M:C takes care of melodic stuff? As Peter suggests, though, get one of the Models, see if you like the workflow first. If you end up hating it, then that would be two boxes you’d need to sell (assuming you get all three at once).

Edit: and welcome to the forum btw :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

He already has a M:S.

2 Likes

Aha, awesome, I skimmed that bit haha. So yes, same question. What will Cycles’ role be, what will M:S be doing?

My first idea was to use the M:S more for drums and M:C for melodic stuff, but now the idea to use the M:C for drums and the M:S for long melodic samples maybe makes more sense. I would then use the microfreak for playing some arpy melodies on top.

I am aware that all of this is possible with ableton, but I just like the time away from the screen. I love the intuitive elektron workflow and the simple form factor of the model machines. As mentioned could be that in the future I’ll be looking at the DT or OT again, but for now I totally happy with the Samples workflow.

Also for about the same price as one DT I can have the M:S + M:C. The Microfreak although not Elektron also looks like great bang for your bucks.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

UPDATE:

I actually just ordered the Microfreak, since I found it really cheap. If all goes well I’ll receive it tomorrow. As M:C seem to be out of stock everywhere I have some time to find out if I need it and what I would like to use it for! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds perfect. I looked everywhere (I mean every reputable store in Europe that does delivery :sweat_smile:) looking for an M:C. Absolutely nothing out there except a place in Greece that only delivers within the country. Anyway, sounds like a great little set up. The only downside I can see is that you need a mixer to run them all together right? That’s where the inputs of the DT come in very handy indeed. Have fun with your new Microfreak!

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
I’ve seen few Model:Cycles on pre-order on music store like this one ([https://www.musicstore.com/fr_FR/EUR/Elektron-Model-Cycles/art-SYN0007419-000]) They say on the website that they have been ordered and will be delivered by May, 5 2020. Better than nothing…

I have my Model:Samples stucked at the post office, 1kilometer from my house, but can’t be delivered because of the situation right now.

1 Like

Hey. Welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face: Yeah the pre-order thing is worrying though, because we don’t know if the Elektron factory is even running at full capacity right now given the situation, so are those dates reliable? Luckily, a fellow Elektronaut has agreed to sell me his unit, so hopefully I will have mine by next week :metal:

2 Likes

I’m new to this forum so Hello Everyone!
I just want to add that when you start diving into the MicroFreak you will probably get to an “I hate this!” phase. It will definitely fight you but if you fight back you’ll find yourself drawn to it and discovering amazing sounds everyday. And each patch has Two 64 step sequencers. Really nice companion to the MC.
My M:C is on order and I’m kinda new to this world so I’ll be asking for help and advice very soon. I’m looking forward to the challenge of syncing an FM groovebox (of which I have zero experience) to my MF.

1 Like

Welcome! And fire away with any questions (in separate threads tho ofc). And don’t worry about M:C being FM at its heart – move knobs, see what happens. No knowledge required!

thanks for the welcome. glad you found one! enjoyyy

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, really looks like an amazing piece of gear for the money, expecting delivery any minute now :slight_smile:

Nice man, lucky you!

Oh man that sucks! Hope you get it soon, wouldn’t want to miss my M:S, having too much fun with it!

1 Like

That’s a great sonic combo.

Microfreak complements well the M:C sound palette imo.
M:S handles the rest, samples, drums, with the ability to flip drum patterns on the M:C, its beautiful.

When you realize that it is a combo that you can get for 1K or barely over if you add a Bastl dude or any mixer, its pretty great to start with.

Cant think of a better fun and focused rig for that price (of course if the sounds of the synth engines mf and fm are what you’re looking for).

1 Like

I guess it’s bad luck… just came back home on the March, 18th. Went to the post office straight “no your package is not here”. Next day the notice came on my mailbox, it arrived on 18th one hour after my visit… :’(

1 Like

That sucks man, I hope you have it by now?

I’m having loads of fun with the M:S and the MF and at the moment I also have got a Pioneer Toraiz 16, AS-1 and a Squid to test (thank you pioneer) and it looks like I could use a mixer.

Do you guys have any advice on a good mixer (on a budget) with audio interface and if possible capability to record seperate tracks in ableton?

EDIT: an audio interface could also do the trick I think?

At this moment doubting between an Allen & Heath Zedi-10(fx) and a Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 (3rd gen).

I just got the cycles and I love it! I have a samples, and I absolutely love that machine. I’m curious, how do you hook them up to synch them together? I want to do stuff with the drums on the MS and keep the melodies to the cycles.

You only need a MIDI cable.

simplest to use a spare 3.5mm stereo > stereo - connect the midi out of the master to the midi in of the slave - or use the dongles with a midi cable if you want

2 Likes

Thanks for the complementary info. I forgot that you can use a 3.5 mm Stereo cable.

1 Like