Model:Samples Crash Error

When trying to transfer my own sounds via Elektron Transfer to my Model:Samples, at some point the Model:Samples will crash while trying to transfer. Each time it crashes it is transferring a different file than the last, and I have tried different files and ruled out the possibility of a corrupt file in my sample packs. I have attached an image of the error code shown on my Model:Samples.

I would transfer a folder and get through about 50-100 or so files before it crashes. This pattern occurs each time I try, even with different files being tried each time.

Both the Model:Samples and the Elektron Transfer software are the latest update version.

In addition, the Elektron Transfer software seems to bug out as well. It will crash also, and when forcing it to quit I am unable to restart the software, so the only option is to restart my PC. I have allowlisted the Elektron Transfer .exe file on Windows Defender, so the firewall shouldn’t be blocking it.

If anyone has any ideas for what the problem may be I’d greatly appreciate the help! I just got this machine and my excitement has stalled with this problem now that I can’t use the sounds I would like to.

-------------Interim Solution---------------------------

Since I was able to transfer about 50 or so files before it crashed I just kept doing it in chunks, having to restart my PC probably about 20-30 times. It works technically

3 Likes

This happened to me when I was powering my M:S from a battery pack while trying to do the transfer.

Doubt that applies to your situation, but if it does, might be worth trying the stock power adapter!

Also, I found it crashes more if you ask it to transfer a ton at once. If you go like, folder by folder (so, smaller batches) that seemed to help me.

Yes I am having this exact same issue. I could’ve written the same post myself word for word.

I haven’t actually used my m:s in several months, but last week I took it out and decided to empty the samples and fill it back up with more recent ones I had acquired. And then all that mess happened…

Also, I was powering it with a battery pack as the second post mentions so possibly that is the reason, I haven’t had time to verify that for now.

I dont use a battery pack but I use my Digitone power cable and use the secondary power input, perhaps that is the problem

I use my digitone power cable with the secondary power input that might be it, let’s see if support will find a solution

1 Like

I used the secondary input, too. I hate how wiggly the main power input is.

User the wall adapter and plug it to a wall socket when using Transfer. That’s all.

Yeah that’s what I ended up doing although I had to keep restarting my PC every time it crashed lol

Check my edit for my measly solution

From the Digitone manual:
Power inlet: Center positive 5.5 Ă— 2.5 mm barrel jack, 12 V DC, 1 A

M:S:
Power inlet: Center positive 3.5 Ă— 1.35 mm barrel jack, 5 V DC, 1 A
Battery In: Center positive 5.5 × 2.1 barrel jack, 4–10 V DC

These don’t seem to match in voltage or barrel jack specifications. Have you tried using the original M:S power supply or a compatible battery yet?

Haha yes I did the same thing, very tedious.

However I did not use a Digi cable. I have a proper 5.5x2.1 barrel and still encountered the issue.

I bought it second hand without the original power cable, however there is a secondary power input on the side of the M:S covered by a rubber covering, which can be used with the same power adapter as the digitone. This works well for me.

It might be worth a shot to get a USB to 3.5 × 1.35 mm barrel cable and see if the error persists. These are cheap and you’d get the convenience of being able to use a 5V power bank or regular phone charger as your power source.

Also, you wouldn’t run the risk of frying your M:S by using a higher voltage power source than called for. :eyes:

1 Like

I think it should be alright though, why else would Elektron include a legitimate secondary power input if they didn’t want us using it? I understand what you’re saying though even other comments mention issues when using the secondary power input but no issues with the main one. Just disappointing that this is happening