Model:Samples as Midi Slave

Hi,

I’d like to use my M:S with my Korg Kronos workstation, but I think that the M:S is limited to using a separate MIDI channel for each of its six tracks. But I don’t want to use six tracks’ worth of sequencing on the Kronos just for the rhythm. What I’d really like to be able to do is to have all the M:S tracks responding to one Midi track from the Kronos, and to be able to trigger the sounds from the keys of that one track. Obviously, that would entail me assigning the M:S’s sounds for the six channels across the range of the Kronos’ keys. Is that possible?

A much less satisfactory alternative would be for me to make my rhythm first, and then control one M:S track from one Kronos midi channel just to get the M:S to run in sync with the rest of the song. Would that be possible?

From my reading of the manual, neither looks likely. I’m just wondering if anyone else here has managed it. I’d appreciate your advice.

It’d be a waste of the Elektron sequencer to use it as a MIDI slave sample player, and there are more flexible options out there for that, but if you’re set on it, there are options which will make it work just fine.

Of course you can send start/stop messages to the M:S, as well as program changes. As for whether you can get all the channels on one MIDI channel, I’m unsure. Can you not set up the Kronos to send a different MIDI channel per note? I do this on my Oxi One and it’s very useful.

I’m pretty sure if you play the low notes of any channel you can trigger all 6 channels.

1 Like

Yes. See the “MIDI Notes” section of the manual (page 20). Use MIDI Note numbers 0 to 5.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for those replies. They’re all very helpful to me.

Claid, you’re right about it being a waste of the M:S sequencer. But whether or not I make proper use of its sequencer varies, depending on what kind of piece I’m working on. For example, I might work up a complex sequence on the M:S just to use as a starting point for a piece made with synths and then discard the M:S. It’s often the case with me that I’ll ultimately ditch the rhythm, even though it might have been the original trigger for everything that followed.
The basics of a simple start/stop might even suffice some of the time, so thanks for that too. I wish that the Kronos would do what you can on the Oxi One, but unfortunately it isn’t possible.

Doug, I’m going to try what you’ve suggested. At the moment, my M:S is part of my second set-up which consists also of a bunch of small synths and a digital multitrack which I use for recording improvised pieces without using any sequencing. My main set-up centres around the Kronos and a couple of other synths, and is nearly always Midi-based sequencing, and I’m going to add the M:S to that set-up when I summon up the courage to rip all the spaghetti out and reorganise in a couple of weeks.

Peter, thanks for taking that idea on a bit further and pointing me to those sections in the manual. It looks as though I might have some joy there. I’d read it once before, but hadn’t taken it on board because of the Midi-free way in which I’ve used the M:S up until now. Thanks for bringing me back to it. As I mentioned above, it will be a couple of weeks before I incorporate the M:S into my set-up, but I will try to report back once I’ve had some success.

Thanks again to all three of you for your help.

1 Like