Model:samples AND Digitakt

Hi,
Since a couple of weeks, I’ve been playing with M:S. And I loved it. Actually it was my first serious try to work with samples. Till now, i focussed mainly on sound design.
Does it make sense to add a Digitakt. I know DT is way more deep and I will buy one for sure. But I fon’t feel like I need it immediately . So I could continue with M:S for a while. The deal I have for the DT makes it very tempting though.
What do you guys think? Does it make sense to have them both, or would DT replace M:S?

Deals come and go.

Stay focused on what you have if it works👍

5 Likes

I personally don’t see much point in having both. Either m:s or DT makes more sense to me than having both as they have so much overlap.

If you like using samples, I think pairing the m:s with a rytm or an OT makes much more sense.

4 Likes

Well, I tend to agree. So my biggest thing would be the extra 8 midi tracks at the moment, because I’m quite happy with the sounds I get with the M:S.

:::nods furiously:::

Again; OT here would be great. Thanks to MIDI LFOs, LFO designer.
Used MK1s run about $700-$750.

For that price, you have a lot of alternatives for MIDI sequencers. But if it has to be elektron, 8 tracks of MIDI sequencing doesn’t come in a cheaper package I guess.

Still, the price gap between an OT Mk I and a DT second hand isnt that big… :wink:

Is there a way to make the M:Samples a slave to the Digitakt when you press play on the Digitakt so starts the M:Samples!?

Yes.

Connect a MIDI cable from the DT’s MIDI Out port to the M:S’s MIDI In port using the adapter provided with the DT.

In the DT’s SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG menus:

• in the SYNC sub-menu, activate CLOCK SEND and TRANSPORT SEND, and
  • in the PORT CONFIG sub-menu, set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI”, set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI”.

In the M:S’s CONFIG > MIDI menus:

• in the SYNC sub-menu, set CLK IN to “ON”, and
  • in the PORTS sub-menu, set INP FROM to “MID”.
3 Likes

Is anyone using a DT+M:S setup? What is your workflow? Does the combination bring any additional synergy that you don’t get from just one or the other? Is the M:S output hot enough to run through the DT’s inputs?

I’ve been diving deep into the M:S, and I’m contemplating adding the DT because the 6 track limit can be pretty sparse. This would open open up sampling, chorus fx, bit crushing, more modulation, and a better display. I would also hope to sample/resample from the DT and transfer to M:S, plus the additional 8 tracks will give room to breathe. Any other benefits I’m missing? Or is this not a great idea?