Model:Cycles

I’m still on the fence if I should replace my DN with it.
I’m really into the sound of fm but I got very lazy with sound design for quite a while. I just want to make tunes. But I very rarely like presets… So fewer controls with faster results might be something I’d really enjoy.
I know it’s not a realy replacement if you compare specs.

3 Likes

Try it out. It´s fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

sure it is. I know that trap. Try it out - aaand keep it. As well as the thing you wanted to replace :wink:
every elektron machine is fun

4 Likes

If it could sample I’d be totally considering it, the one knob per function workflow is surprisingly awesome. Not interested in having to use my computer to load on samples really though. An iOS app which could upload could sway me :thinking:

(Saying that, if I saw one for say £200 I’d bite!)

1 Like

mine just turned up today, along with a bunch of euro cables in another package :slight_smile:

i have to say, when i opened the box, i was kinda blown away. being used to all the older elektron boxes, i was like ‘its so tiny!’ ‘wow!’

haha ! i had a quick jam but im a bit too busy rn to dive deep, i’ll post a clip in the M:C music thread :slight_smile:

i know its not its intended target audience, but i can see this working out very nicely as an ambient box for me.

and yeah, wow, its defintely a different way of working as far as an elektron box goes, i actually go to go for the menu or hit a button to do something, and im like oh wow, the knobs right there. haha

and also first thing you notice is the squishy buttons. these are like the first elektrons that dont have tippity tappity keys that annoy anyone in the near vicinity. they’re weird tho, like, they kinda push up down left right, like a gamepad or something, even though they dont need to go all those directions. i think we’ll actually see these buttons types on most elektrons going forward. maybe a more refined version

anyway, all i did tonight was explore one chord machine on one track and i could muck around with that for hours, god knows once that gets out across 6 tracks lol

edit: couple other things

I do find the pads a bit stiff. the Rytm, yes, it did have stiff pads for playing, but for muting and unmuting and track select, it was a dream. not so here. I’d love to be able to tap the pads when selecting or muting on the m:c. it’s more like I’ve got to hit them with a strike, I’d love to be able to just mellowly select and mute tracks.

otherwise yeah, only other point, this box really is much more couch friendly :joy:

edit edit: i think i just discovered a new way of using the pads. its more of a rest and press. like, landing your finger on the pad doesnt necessarily trig it, so you just rest your fingertip on the pad and depress, rather than strike. at least, thats a workaround for me for now

5 Likes

Damn, I knew there was a trap :wink: Yeah I have the same problem. But if you say for yourself you are not that much into sound design at the moment go for it. I got rid of the A4Mk2 and have gone for the M:c. Good choice. Even if I liked the quality Buttons on the A4 more.

1 Like

Hehe, I would say the OPL FM sound is completely referential. The Tone machine is 2-OP FM, but it’s oversampled just as much as a Digitone voice (which is possible on the Cycles hardware since Tone specifically is only 2-OP) … So some of the sounds you make with it will sound like typical Adlib/OPL stuff since that is also 2-OP, but the Tone has a much wider range, and much much less aliasing.

(Most of the Machines are 4-OP in the Cycles)

I really like 2-OP FM actually, there is a beautiful simplicity to it, and when you push it just right it can be quite interesting texturally.

Signed, a lover of the OPL3 chip.

15 Likes

that’s the kind of brave move I’m trying to target :smiley:

1 Like

I really loved it on the nord lead 2x. Got great sounds out of it

1 Like

Yeah same. It makes me think of Autechre’s Nord stuff when pushed a little. I’m very happy that the Tone machine can get into LP5 territory :slight_smile: but then also be quite subtle—I’ve been making some very lush sounding basses with it lately, especially with some slight LFO to finetuning :kissing_smiling_eyes::ok_hand:

3 Likes

2 op is great.

People who bought an m:c are realizing the merits of the models: UI paradigm shift, and then naturally become curious about having the same experience dealing with samples,

Two other factors which made the m:s launch a bit unsuccesful

• the initial price was a bit too steep
  • the unit was released without sample locks

with those two issues now sorted, and the m:c being favourably received from launch day, I can totally see why m:s sales might be catching up too :nyan:

4 Likes

best electronic album in my collection, it hasn’t faded since the day it was released (peerless and perfect except for the naff silence trick at the end of the CD), and to echo the comment about the NR2 it’s a reason i love the sound of it so much and will keep for those sounds, it gets into that album territory super easily and there’s just something special about that implementation - it’s an iconic sound from what was a seminal album for me, so if this baby is serving up those kinds of timbres then i’ll be sorted

can’t wait now - everything is sitting just where it needs to be, sounds like the snare does what i hoped the AR would, not into larger than life kicks though so i’m hoping there are a few tamed settings for the boom i’ve heard mentioned

1 Like

nope !

even just the fact that the sample is start+length is exciting news for me (besides focus and immediacy), start+end is a pita on the Rytm ( there was hopes for a single LFO destination of Start**&End** which would have helped)

sorry for further off topic

do you think they used the nord rack only for drums and glitchy percussion or also for the melodic stuff?
I found an interview where sean raved about how many percussion sounds you can access at a time via the 4slots in drummode.
I read somewhere that cichlisuite is nord rack only…

My fav electronic album along with druqks.
Love the sound of the album

1 Like

Snare can sound nice, probably slightly better at realistic(ish) snares than analog “606 tin can” style, it can get somewhat there but not quite as snappy IMHO.

You’ll love the BD, it can do nice or nasty. I vastly prefer it to any of the Rytm BD machines.

2 Likes

I’m sure they used the Nord(s) for tons of melodic stuff, can hear its signature sound all over Chiastic Slide for sure.

edit: damn, I should play with my Nords again

well, the (lack of) distinction between those categories is why i think the M:C will deliver for me - i never had the time to properly explore the drum mode potential because it was so powerful in scope when i did that it felt limitless - i like those basic drum sounds the G1 nordmods do and it’s this primitiveness i am looking forward to about the M:C - i hadn’t actually considered that the nords were used across teh board for instruments, but it would explain the cohesiveness which in turn is why i think the M:C hit teh spot for me on first reveal

2 Likes

i should finally get a NR again.
only sale I really miss

2 Likes

Yep, you hit the nail on the head, imo.

3 Likes