Model:Cycles

One thing I don’t like is that the parameter encoders are not push encoders, I guess I can understand given the price point but very surprised, bummed because it does not allow one of my staple techniques to be used - reverse p-locking, amongst other things.
A bit of a bummer and I think I’d have preferred to pay a little more for push encoders and the added functionality that they give.
I haven’t used a M:S before and I’m assuming it doesn’t have push encoders either, I was thinking of getting one but this is a dealbreaker for me. I’ll definitely keep hold of the M:C though, but any future Models would probably need push encoders for me to be interested.
They dramatically improve workflow IMHO.

3 Likes

good to know!
Can‘t imagine to use an elektron without push encoders. I push them about 80% of the time

1 Like

Can‘t imagine to use an elektron without push encoders. I push them about 80% of the time

Yeah I push most of the time too. I always thought that the push functionality could probably be replaced with a better acceleration curve on the encoders. Might be wrong though, I’ll see what I think when the M:C arrives!

What is this? :slight_smile:

Just figured out how to lose a pattern when I meant to save…I’ll just be over here reading a manual

3 Likes

different machine, same old story :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The technique where you set your initial parameter(s) of the sound you want, lay out a trig(s) press the encoders of the parameter(s) you set to lock them, now you can change the parameter(s) of the default sound again, rinse, repeat. In short it is a quick method of getting and being able to hear what a step will sound like (by manually triggering) then locking those values. I did make a post explaining it before somewhere.

4 Likes

how do you quickly change params on the models, then? or you dont?

I understand the extra usefulness but the lacking longetivity they add… I think most of my Elektron units are in need of new encoders, man do I dread the shipping charges that’s going to be :sad:

Ah I follow! Didn’t realise that pressing an encoder locks as well as clears a p-lock. Clever workaround but it would be nicer to be able to preview a trig :joy:

1 Like

hmm, I cannot press any of my encodes but the Main Volume and the Level/Data Encoder. I missed this, because I was used to it on my DN and my DT. Are you sure, that it works on the M:C?

Also removing a parameter by clicking it is something so ingrained into my workflow it will take a bit of getting used to.

1 Like

If you turn the knob quickly, the rate of change is greatly accelerated. Holding Function snaps the values to coarse increments.

1 Like

I’m saying that it doesn’t. They don’t click, aside from data and main volume.

1 Like

A, sorry, now I get the discussion. I missunderstood you discussing, that you can do so, and I wondered if my device is broken :stuck_out_tongue:

To clear a parameter lock on M:C you hold the step, turn the parameter whilst still holding step, press play whilst still holding.

3 Likes

Managed to get some pseudo claps sort of sounds using the random LFO to VOL+DIST. Metal machine, max LFO speed. So while there is no clap per se, I think making varied 2-4 stacks with layering two tracks should be doable.

4 Likes

I had a go at this in the store day. Put together three patterns that sounded better than most shit I’ve done in the latest year.

Yet, I was like, “Not now.” And walked away without a purchase.

This one is really challenging my idea of why I’m into music. A few hours with this and I could go to town with a set.

What the hell’s stopping me?

I’ll tell you what’s stopping me right now. Mashed potatoes, lingon berry jam and friend herring in butter, with green peas. Because it’s lunch.

After that, we’ll just have to see, I guess :slight_smile:

15 Likes

common go to town, if you get along with it so well :smiley:
next time, if you want to stay away from something, don‘t try it in the store. I liked everything I ever tried in stores :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yum! - Model:Cuisine :wink:

3 Likes