Model:Cycles

Is it the depth and amount of parameters available that makes you feel like it’s unfinished? I wonder if there will be any updates for this machine as I don’t think the M:S has had any.

M:S had sample locks added in an update which seems pretty huge to me. I have it in my head that audio over usb was added post release too but can’t remember.

3 Likes

That sample lock is already on m:c (sound locks/machine locks) so I’m guessing m:s was also meant to have it from the get go… maybe m:s release was more rushed than m:c release?

I have a feeling the model series will not be getting quite as much new features as the bigger boxes have. Would love to be wrong however!

2 Likes

True and the likely explanation. But could be something similar with MC. Having said that, the old adage stands - buy for what you know is in the hardware now, not future hopes!

2 Likes

In this case, its not only that IMO. Check @Ess 's Q&A, seems like the models have a different vision behind them than other elektrons, which to me doesnt bode well with adding features. For the price these are going for, I think thats acceptable anyways.

2 Likes

I understand what you mean, this is my concern too.

The m:c seems a bit limited in terms of OSC parameters and this is based on just looking at the manual.

Shipping notice says mine will arrive Monday when I’m at work, hopefully be able to swing working from home Tues so I can go pick it up from the parcel shop…

You are absolutely right! I don’t expect it to be able to, and equally my DN can’t replace things the M:C can do. They share a heritage but they each have their own distinct advantages too.

My maths is rusty but is it not 4 to the power 128 for the total number of parameter variables (assuming each has 128 values) and then you have to times that by 6 for each of the machine types. I don’t know how much time you’ve got on your hands but I’m probably going to be OK for a while at least.

Looking forward to combining with my DN.

As with the M:S, the M:C is a “turn on and go” machine. You can do some sound design, especially with the Tone machine, but if you’re the type that loves to spend hours on a single sound, it might not be for you.

I think it was @pselodux that compared it to a knobby LSDJ or Nanoloop (grooveboxes in their own right): just about anything you do with the M:C will have “that M:C sound.”

4 Likes

Don’t underestimate what you can do with the LFO. Elektron LFOs are pretty flexible. If I ever get the models: the LFOs are going to be vital for me for making sounds.

1 Like

Heyo :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

808 never got boring. Talk about limited.
…its how you use it.

16 Likes

Yeah mini
No sampler
The mono is the most powerful synth that was released by Elektron

The problem - if you wanna call it that - is probably me… I am used to more in depth Elektron machines and there is something about it’s sound that doesn’t sit right with me ‘at the moment’. I watched videos before I bought it and was intrigued to try and make it do something I had in mind rather than what I was hearing but that isn’t really working out. It feels a bit ‘half’ FM and muddy. I understand the differences but the sound of the Volca FM blows this away.

You can make things sound more lush with the beautiful reverb but I don’t want to have to resort to using reverb to try to get there. Then it just feels like a trick.

And when I say not finished - that’s not in terms of features etc. In many way’s it is very complete as it is and it’s great for what it is, as is, now I’ve tried it but the sound is lacking to my ears somehow.

I’d rather buy gear that’s well thought out and finished from the get go so I didn’t buy it thinking about future updates. That’s plain dumb. On using it I just started to feel ‘this can’t be all there is to it’ sound wise and then I started thinking about future possibilities to improve the machines - not necessarily to add more features.

It’s a great design - I love how it looks and feels and that did surprise me because I expected it to feel cheap but it doesn’t. It’s rock solid and the encoders are creamy but it does have other physical pitfalls. The track buttons are probably better suited to people with anger issues. You have to slam them pretty hard unless you set the velocity - so the fix is a bad compromise. The smaller sequencer buttons at the bottom kind of roll around in the housing. They are squishy. So when I am recording a pattern in live recording mode there’s a high chance something doesn’t go to plan. Ok so I can ‘practice’ and find a way around that.

Right now I am hoping it’s a bit like listening to an album you can’t quite get into and then after a few months of repeated listens it ends up being your all time favourite.

8 Likes

The question is…have you had hands on?
If so disregard this.

If NOT…I don’t know how anyone can make any kind comments, other than how it looks or sounds. Sure spec shakers have a certain amount of info. But again, gear with crazy low spec/features, in the right hands, turn out some sick stuff.

All I can say is…sounds good.

3 Likes

Yeah I feel that worry, and honestly why I prefer samples of stuff like 808s because the 808 isn’t very flexible, that said the MC seems much more versatile than 90% of drummachines but it maybe inspiration wise shares a bit more with roland devices than most elektrons, focused on the full range of the machines being sweet spots.

Still wondering if anyone has triggered other devices with M:C midi output. Wanting some sort of take on the experience.

Yeah it’s a reflection after using it - a few posts up ^

Cheers, that was an in-depth answer : ) Just curious caus I have one arriving shortly.

I can see where you are coming from. I haven’t heard anything from it that would make me think of the volca FM. I hope you find some sweetspots that you like!
I have just gone on what I’ve heard but do plan to use it in some ways that I haven’t seen yet, so hoping I don’t end up with similar impressions.
Build quality is reassuring though :+1:

Cool!

I’m going to hang on to it and persevere - I don’t give up on things that easily and always find a way of working with gear in ways that suit me. Now I’ve used a bit more and think about it I realise it has a unique place between all the other gear I own.

As a side note I have a Nord Drum II and that thing really shines in terms of sound though it can be a pain in the ass to program. I normally sequence it via my MM and feed it back in to it’s audio inputs so that is an incredibly powerful combo in every aspect. I reckon I jumped the gun thinking that the M:C might be a super slimmed down way of getting some of that kind of sound in one very well designed box.

I just have to rethink it and obviously use it a lot more.

3 Likes

Are you using the sequencer as a modulator with lock trigs?
Are you p-locking LFO to various destinations, waveforms, speeds on the same track?

1 Like