Model:Cycles

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bickering

Diggin this one

6 Likes

hmmmmmmmm

sounds like the m:c :sunglasses::ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

I have not heard a lot of clap sounds in the demos. A Volca Drum can produce some good claps with its multi peak EG. plus lots of other weird stuff. I have a patch that sounds like a moth beating it’s wings against a lightbulb :bulb: When I got mine I had not been as excited for a piece of gear since the DT. FKn LOVE that tiny plastic bstrd!!

BUT managing patches is a PITA and no way to export or anything. The only thing that comes close is using OscillatorSink’s online tool to sound design. Then save to device and patch info to computer. Which is why I’m SO STOKED for the M:C Anything that lets me get away from the PC gets my attention. Its not exactly the Volca Drum big brother but it sounds fantastic and different.

2 Likes

MC is lighter than the MD, but I still prefer OT’s crossfader, much safer. Control All + Chance is too dangerous

17 Likes

Perhaps eventually?

We’ll see.

1 Like

Stupid question because maybe I imagined it but I though that the Novation Circuit does this but can’t find it in the manual. Basically:

Does anyone know if the 3.5mm TRS midi ports on the M:C send or receive CV for sync with the Volca series? Would be nice to just plug a straight 3.5 out from M:C to my Drum.

i caved and bought one :laughing:

its in the mail :grin:

its funny coz i didnt even bat an eyelid at the model samples

i think with samplers i just prefer a much less restricted storage space, ala OT

anyway, stoked! all i have at the mo is a little midi keyboard - probably will be a nice pairing too… look forward to trying some midi experiments too from VCV

woooooot!

5 Likes

They don’t; they are MIDI ports.

1 Like

Thanks. Sometimes I wonder how my brain is absolutely sure it remembers something then it’s wrong AF. :joy:

2 Likes

This looks very familiar. I remember “hearting” this exact pic some time last year. Is this a conspiracy? What’s going on? :face_with_monocle:

Edit: I just looked a bit closer, and I see the slight update. But still… dude on the “cycle” and all…

1 Like

Recycling.

5 Likes

The original photo was a bit of E.S.P. on the poster’s part. Good job :clap:

1 Like

Since I missed out on the first round of them, I’ve actually been doing this myself. I’ve been using the parallel algorithm on the DN (Keys version in my case) so I can reduce the operator count easily, add harmonics for simpler waves, and generally stay in that YM2612 sort of range. (or OPL if you’re DOSSY) :smiley: (Yes, I know that the 2612 is four operator, but I find going two operator on the Digitone gets me closer to those game-sorts of sounds)

I’ve been having fun making the types of sounds I’ve been hearing on the Cycles as well. I find that if you stick with a simpler algorithm then it lends itself more to this sort of thing. Not that the M:C is limited to 2 Op, but I get more of a 2 Op feel from a lot of the sounds I’ve heard so far. (though not all of them of course)

I’ll be playing around like this until I can grab a M:C in the near future. Then I’ll use the M:C for its strengths, and push the DN Keys a bit harder again into the territories the M:C doesn’t go to.

Fun little exercise at the very least.

2 Likes

I’ll take a little credit lol
Trying to get them all bought before I break

1 Like

I’ve always found programming melodies and such on Elektron devices to render quiet flat results, it’s me not Elektron. I love however the OP-Z sequencer for melodies and such, step components can really flesh out really cool melodic ideas.

So ive tried using the OP-Z to record in melodic content on M:C and what’s really cool here is that with unquantized recording you can scale down the speed of one track but still record in 64th step notes. So you can have really long sequences but with same resolution as it would be scale 1/1.

In my trials I tried this with scale 1/2 with 4 bars. So that rendered 8 bars with the same resolution as 1/1 4 bars…

This pairing will be really great for breaking out of the 4 bar loop.

1 Like

Doing a stream now if anyone wants to hear me make some stuff on the fly :slight_smile:

13 Likes

why does yours have a red knob?

However :

9.4 TRACK SETUP MENU

If MOUT is checked the following functions also sends MIDI data :

PADS The [T1–6] pads sends MIDI note data.
TRIG KEYS The [TRIG] keys sends MIDI note data in CHROMATIC mode.
MUTE, activating/deactivating mutes sends MIDI.
TRACK PARAMETER and FX knobs sends MIDI data on their set channels.

Each knob sends MIDI data but we can’t choose on which MIDI CC (Refer to manual p.51 APPENDIX A : MIDI SPECIFICATIONS). So it is best suited for a DAW where you have a MIDI learn function. I tried in Ableton Live and it worked fine. Be aware that it’s not all the knobs that have full range (e.g. Pitch).