Model:Cycles

I prophecied this one already (model:buffers)

2 Likes

Just think about the insane sets a person could rock with an m:s, m:c, and liven 8-bit… holy shit… and the liven’s looper can work with external signals… oh my

100%

model:fader I like to call it :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I wouldn’t put it off until the battery pack is available. who knows how long that’ll be (have they said?). just grab one when you have the funds and by the time the pack is available, you’ll know it well.

2 Likes

I demand the pack! Haha I probably will scoop soon and I’m guessing the pack won’t take much longer… next up, Model:Voices, an incredible live performance vocoding/warping/processing machine with unique formant synthesis.

1 Like

Has anyone tried prying the casing apart. I’d like to paint the shell. Also, anyone know of a shop that sells different encoder knobs? I’d also like to get those switched. All the ones I’ve seen thus far have the little lines on them.

+1
I want that for Digitone also.
It would affect performance and sound design possibilities greatly.

Don’t just go prying it apart, there’s screws under the rubber strips at the bottom. I haven’t taken it apart myself, so after that I don’t know what the best way to go about it is.

The knobs are on D shaft encoders. Pull them up or carefully pry off with a small spoon or nylon prying tool. When you say “lines”, are you talking about the molded grip? Are you looking for smooth ones?

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the info. Someone will get brave soon and crack it open and we’ll get to see how easy / hard it would be to paint the shell. The only problem I see is that the labeling is on the casing itself.

these look light enough in color that you could probably rit dye them and maintain all of text

3 Likes

I figured there were screws underneath the runner part, just wanted to make sure before I go pulling them off. As far as the lines, I’m talking about the line on top of the knob that indicates its position.

That’s an interesting idea. Just soak them?

yup! soak as long as you want to achieve the desired color and then set aside on a rack to air dry~

edit: don’t forget to rinse off excess dye with water before drying !

2 Likes

Try DJ Techtools Chromacaps.
They might have something.

1 Like

Not familiar with dying plastics. Just regular Rit dye like you find at the craft stores / box stores? Sitting here with mine and thinking a lighter color like blue or red or green would probably work best to retain the lettering.

I’ve done shibori (basically tie dye) and you could probably even get, not quite gradients because I imagine you have to soak longer than fabric. But like submerge 1/3 of the casing for a period of time, 1/3 a bit longer and the last 1/3 the longest and get a tonal range.

Bam :boom: ideas :bulb: :grin:

Ok… after 2 days, M:C plugged in, sitting on a clean desk, headphones plugged in, chair carefully positioned for maximum ergonomic comfort, and me trying to stay focused on work… I have finally had an hour and some change with this new member of my musical family.

I gotta say, those calling this a toy don’t quite get it. Those saying that it’s cheap don’t quite get it. Those saying that it’s limited don’t quite get it.

It’s definitely not a toy. This is built quite solid. I don’t feel any wiggle / play in any of the knobs, even the clickable ones. The resistance of the knobs is really good. It’s solid and smooth and gives the impression of quality. Time will tell obviously but the entirety of the moving parts feels like it’s good quality.

There is a difference between cheap and affordable. It’s one of those things I guess. Pictures and videos don’t give you the tactile experience of sitting down with it and twisting knobs and pressing buttons. This would still work at a slightly higher price point but I think they’ve found the sweet spot and are going to sell a ton of these.

I can tell that it does have limitations. It’s not something for dedicated nearly unlimited sound design. If you buy it for that you will most likely be disappointed. This is a drum machine with a crap ton of extra sound potential. This is a special piece of gear. It’s a combination of a lot of different factors including the handling / immediacy / build quality / and most importantly sound quality. This thing smacks! All the machines sound good together.

The only neg- which isn’t even a neg for me- I do see the comments about the pads being stiff are correct. If you are a finger drummer, as everyone has said, you’ll probably want another solution for pads. I kind of smack with the side of my thumb and get decent playability with some variation but I prefer to just set to 127 and p-lock the volumes I want.

I think @Ess said in another thread “can’t wait to hear what will be made with this a year from now, I guarantee it will be different” That statement has a high level of confidence to it and I 100% agree. It’s going to take some time to ”get it down” because the menu system and some of the shortcuts are different from the other boxes. The reason for that is because it’s a different instrument, but still has the Elektron taste if that makes any sense.

I was really considering an Arturia Microfreak when the teasers for this dropped. I’m sure I would have enjoyed it but I’m glad that I waited and got this. I really see why everyone is taking a second look at the model:samples too.

Just wanted to chime in and give my perspective on this awesome piece of Elektron goodness. If you got one already, keep on digging, if you are considering one and it seems like it fits your needs, get it. The next few months are going to be interesting and I can’t wait to see where this leads me musically.

10 Likes

how are you lot doing trap hi hats since there’s no plocking the retrig time?

have mine paired with a launchkey mini mk3 at the moment and must say it’s a very nice combo. you have an arp - latch, random and and mutate functions on that, very playable pads including scale modes, assignable stuff from the novation app. quick change octave. and I just jacked a 3.5mm cable between the two units and it was good to go - the launchkey running off USB power brick here. great little portable setup

8 Likes

You can plock retrig time, just tested it now

4 Likes

Now retrig time just needs a CC!

2 Likes