Model:Cycles

Oh yeah I see what you were meaning now, yeah its contrast isn’t anything to write home about

Most likely down to minimizing manufacturing costs. The build quality is surprisingly good for a ~300€ piece (metal knob shafts!), but obviously some corners needed to be cut.

2 Likes

I wonder how aftermarket replaceable that’d be. Not that i’d care enough to, but i see replacement displays all over ebay.

Now this got me wondering… do you reckon there’s a screen protector sticker on the display?! It looks quite matte

2 Likes

Oh, probably. They wouldn’t leave the factory without one?

Oh dear! You’re right. There is a screen protector sticker on the display :nyan:

Lets see if removing that helps with the contrast issue I’m having…

EDIT: It does! umm, guess I just revoked my right to return the m:c to the store :woman_facepalming: O’well. Now I can set the screen to MID instead of max and stuff still looks readable.

3 Likes

I actually preferred my monomachine with the screen protector :frowning:

1 Like

Heh ya. Mine still has it on there :confused:
Can’t bring myself to pull it.

Can anyone say any stuff a volca drum does which this dosent. Then I will know if to buy. Obviously the cycles does sound better. The kick dosent need an app which the volca needs sometimes.

Obviously 1000s of pattern saves on the Elektron is a bonus.

The lack of pattern memory is IMO the biggest weakness of the volcas. I’d still be using my volca sample if it wasn’t for that lowly 10 patterns-max memory constraint.

Well, I guess I have now decided to keep my m:c. Managed to build my first pattn which does what I was hoping to do with the m:c sound-wise. Time to order those replacement encoders.

3 Likes

I use ios. There should be drum apps soon for song building ( obviously the cycles can be used for that also ) I keep volca drum and modular for quirky sound plus some ios synths like mononoke etc sessions ( not really song building )

Interface has only 2 stereo inputs and I dont like to unplug stuff ( ocd )

Can the cycles be quirky or replace volca drum for sounds if you use load all cycles with its drum machines?

Maybe the cycles with specific machines plus a volca drum would be way too many sounds but might be better than keeping volca modular but then that does sound good also.

Way too much gear.

Got mine arriving today (ended up going with Andertons, who have free next day delivery in the U.K., as Thomann messed about with stock). I’ve been enjoying reading everyone’s feedback and hearing what they’ve been doing, and am really looking forward to playing with it.

I’ve already got MD, DT, DN, A4, OT (my dream is to have one of everything :heart_eyes:) but had been thinking recently how I’d like a fairly simple, but tweakable, drum machine, for those times when I just want to jam without using my brain - I honestly prefer drum synthesis to samples due to the tweakability, and while the MD is amazing, it’s sequencer and UI do feel kind of old these days. Couldn’t bring myself to go TR-8 as those sounds are just a bit tired to my ears (I’m happy to use samples if I do want them) and not a huge fan of the sound of the lower end analogue drum machines (prefer FM in many cases), so this looks like it could be the ideal sweet spot for me.

The fact that it can be used as a self contained groovebox on the sofa is a big plus. Also curious to see how the Elektron approach feels with one knob per function. I’ll be sure to respond with my thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can put any machine on any track right?

Yes

1 Like

Fixed that for you. :grinning:

4 Likes

Can you shape the sound per step like a VD. I think p-locks are better as you can put any sound on any step on any track? What about the sends. Kind of like the liquid sound of the VD and that you can use it as a weird synth through weird ios effects. Maybe its better than the Volca modular which I havent really patched as I moving soon.

Might just buy it then. Always thought a Tone was calling me ( as its my name ) before investing in IOS.

Thanks form.

One thing I don’t like is that the parameter encoders are not push encoders, I guess I can understand given the price point but very surprised, bummed because it does not allow one of my staple techniques to be used - reverse p-locking, amongst other things.
A bit of a bummer and I think I’d have preferred to pay a little more for push encoders and the added functionality that they give.
I haven’t used a M:S before and I’m assuming it doesn’t have push encoders either, I was thinking of getting one but this is a dealbreaker for me. I’ll definitely keep hold of the M:C though, but any future Models would probably need push encoders for me to be interested.
They dramatically improve workflow IMHO.

3 Likes